6 June 2017

Bavarians circa 1809 - Part 3 - Mixing my paints

Knowing that I am embarking on a rather large project I thought it prudent to ensure that I had a good supply of paint of the right colours to hand. As I eluded to previously I had some supplies on order to assist me in this and although the dropper bottles have not yet arrived from China, everything else had, so I recycled an old dropper bottle so I could at least get started.

So we have empty dropper bottles,some thinner medium, my colours for the mix, a blunt needle and syringe and some 6mm glass beads.

The syringe is a 10ml graduated one, and I got some 18g blunt needles. 10 of each cost me a couple of quid so for the sake of accuracy money well spent. The glass beads came from Hobbycraft a long time ago and I got 600 of them for £3.00 I use two in every dropper bottle as agitators, being glass they are inert and wont affect the paint at all.


So beads into the bottle first and then I started to add the paint. First adding 7ml of the Medium blue 963, then adding several drops of thinner medium to aid the flow of the mix. Next I added 7ml of Andrea Blue 841 and another few drops of thinner.

Once I had all the paint and thinner in the bottle I replaced the nozzle, screwed on the cap and gave it all a damn good shake until the contents took on a uniform colour.

Finally I wrote a label stating the mix ratios for future reference and stuck it onto the bottle now I am good to go with those massed ranks of Cornflower Blue clad infantry.

Well folks just a small update and I will admit not a very exciting one at that either, but hopefully next time I will have some figures completed.

Loki

10 comments:

  1. Now there's dedication to the cause - a true professional Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not take any credit it's all down to the OCD.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Michal, I believe a few pounds spent and making a record of such things mean I can repeat the process at any time if needed.

      Delete
  3. This appeals to me on many levels. I salute your organisational powers sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected this would be up your alley so to speak. I thank you kindly for bearing with me during my absence Michael.

      Delete
  4. A very sensible bit of pre-planning there Loki :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just occasionally I have my moments Tamsin.

      Delete
  5. Very cool idea Andrew. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...