15 November 2016

Painting Spanish Napoleonic Line Infantry in White uniform (Part 1)

I have been working away on a large commission of Spanish Napoleonic figures of late and thought it may be a good idea to share with you the colours used to achieve the final result.

First up a picture of a finished Infantry figure:
 

Next is a video showing how I go about painting a figure and all the colours used to achieve the final result.



Finally here is a full list of the colours used and the relevant parts of the uniform they are applied to they are listed from base tone first to highlight last, all colours are Vallejo Model color unless stated otherwise :

Flesh: VAL860 Medium Flesh Tone , VAL845 Sunny Skin Tone, VAL815 Basic Skin Tone.

Jacket and Breeches: VAL847 Dark Sand, VAL837 Pale Sand, VAL820 Off White.

Bicorne, Gaiters,bayonet scabbard and cartridge box: VAL950 Black, VAL862 Black Grey, VAL994 Black Grey.

Musket stock: VAL984 Flat Brown, Panzer Aces311 New Wood.
Musket Barrel: 75% VAL863 Gunmetal 25% VAL950 Black, VAL864 Natural Steel.
Barrel Rings: VAL801 Brass.

Plume and Cockade: VAL926 Red, VAL909 Vermillion.

Hair. VAL984 Flat Brown, VAL874 Tan Earth

Crossbelts: VAL883 Silver Grey, VAL951 White.

Facings: VAL950 Purple, VAL811 Blue Violet. It goes without saying you will need to use colours suited to the regiment you are painting

Piping: VAL951 White

Buttons, Scabbard tip and cockade strap: VAL801 Brass.

I will finish this post here, but will be back soon with part 2 covering the drummers who wear a completely different coloured uniform and the finer details on the Ensigns and Officers.

13 comments:

  1. That was really a terrific video with a difficult subject that you made very simple.

    Stupid question, I see you use Vallejo, I am switching over to this line from Citadel as I am just done with the pots they come in. How to you arrange your colours when you are not using them; by number or by colour.

    Thanks,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly thank you John the video was a bit of a challenge to make so feedback like this is very important for me to learn from.

      Now regarding the organising of paints this is far from a stupid question and oone that requires a much fuller answer than I can give in a reply so I will construct a proper post regarding this and show my set up and how I have things arranged.

      Delete
    2. Many thanks Loki, I have mine set up numerically but I think I may find this difficult. I had my citadel paints set up in groups of colours dark to light so it was pretty useful.

      John

      Delete
  2. Great video Loki, your painting has move on even more to a fantastic level and your videos must be inspiring loads to improve themselves.
    Keep up the great work
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James, good to hear from you and hope you are well

      Delete
  3. You really are on top of your game at the moment Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is that by sharing what I have learnt with the wider community it may help others in some small way

      Delete
  4. Good work with the white work, I hate painting white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 20 battalions of Austrian Infantry for the new year so this is just a warm up 😡

      Delete
  5. I always have trouble with painting white. I have have to try this next time. Thanks Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting again Rodger I hope it helps

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...