24 October 2016

Time to share some knowledge - Painting Horses part 1

I have long considered that I am more of a painter than a wargamer, maybe because my earliest memories are those of me sat painting row upon row of 1/72 plastic Airfix Napoleonics with good old Humbrol Enamel paints. I get a lot of enjoyment from the process of turning a bare figure into a fully painted representation of its unit.

Over the years, my techniques have changed and my all round painting skills have improved. In the early days the skill was getting a figure block painted neatly, even back at the start of my journey I had to have everything neat and tidy. Paint of the wrong colour on the wrong bit of uniform of equipment had me hurtling back to fix it. From that I advanced to the block and drybrush method, slowly and steadily I altered things until eventually I got to the stage I am at now.

One big hurdle in my life has always been self doubt and overly critical of my own work. Combine that with depression that rears its head every so often and occassionally it causes problems. Be it the cause of motivational loss or just unhappy with a piece of work. However, the last couple of years I sought proper help to get all that sorted, and I have to say it was the best move I made. I have things to help me get through the dark patches really quickly and they work so I wont knock it. Being macho about not dealing with it and refusing to seek help really compounded the issue and made it ten fold worse over the years.

Now I am painting Full Time to earn a crust, it is not always the easiest job in the world but every time I complete a figure, unit or Army for a customer I get a sense of satisfaction from the whole job. Best of all I get to work from home and have more time around family.

I have long been a believer in sharing what I have learnt and I have over the last few years shared some things with fellow bloggers on how I complete certain aspects of figures. From how I work a face to colours used for x or y jacket, often just the little things. On the odd occasion I have been asked how I painted an entire figure or unit. That is something I have been thinking about in a bit more depth these last few months. My problem has been working out how I could achieve such a thing, my computer skills are just about competent but don't get technical on me. My literary skills are almost non existent and don't get me started on computer graphics, I am hardly past cropping and auto white balance on a photo.

Now although I have stated my inadequacies well enough, I have persevered and formed the basis of something that hopefully will work allowing me to better share my knowledge with a wider audience. I am putting together a series of guides for painting and have started the process over the last week or so using the video as a medium and uploading to You Tube.

I do not intend to teach anyone how to paint in most of these guides, as with the internet age there are enough tutorials and You tube videos available for learning a particular technique. I prefer to think of them more as a full colour palette for working a figure, allowing you to replicate the figure / unit / army with a good degree of consistency.

Consistency became more important to me at first when I was doing all my work into the Vallejo paint range and making my own Triads. It became even more important when I started painting professionally though, simply because if you start painting an Army you need it to be cohesive in the colour palette for many periods, particularly Napoleonics in my opinion. If you do any large scale army having the rank and file troops in the same colour uniform matters. In times gone by, I like many people have started a project and walked away from it, returning weeks later only to discover I could not remember the colours I used. Now I have my trusty note book and record the colours I use for units so if I get distracted or heaven forbid the wife tidies up the Great Hall, I can at least pick up where I left off without spending hours trying to colour match the figures first.I also record alternate colours for certain things like variants for horses.

So here we go then with the 1st video, If you subscribe to my channel then you will get the new videos as they are uploaded but I will publish them on my blog as well for all to see.



Thanks for reading.
Regards
Loki

27 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing both your painting video and something of the background to producing it. Wishing you well as always

    Stephen/ the Duke of Baylen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog and leaving a comment always nice to receive them

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Francis, this video format suits me for the time I have available to blog etc at present, hopefully they will prove useful given time

      Delete
  3. Great to hear your dulcet tones and a smashing video to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, I am hoping this will help me get back to some kind of regular posting as I am able to record snippets while I work. I have struggled to find time to sit and write posts of late and most of my painting is work related now. However sharing information on figures I am working could prove useful through the medium of video for now

      Delete
  4. Great video - just subscribed to your youtube channel
    You put my horse painting to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers always nice to see new subscribers on my channel.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog and hopefully lots more to come

      Delete
  6. That was very nicely done, you made it look easy.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, hopefully I will get a little better in presentation and feeling more at ease when recording them than now though

      Delete
  7. Painting horses... My Nemesis!

    Thanks for sharing this excellent video. It's really a really good tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone Stefan hope the videos will help

      Delete
  8. Thanks very useful and informative

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool vid. Watched it via the Facebook. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy always appreciate people taking the time to visit here

      Delete
  10. I'd like to congratulate you on your courage in speaking about your depression. It's not something that you've been bashful about the last few years but I think it helps to normalize it, like a broken bone or a knock on the head. People need to see it as something normal to be treated and lived with. Thank you.

    Also, horses. A struggle for me. Thank you for the video. I always love to see how others do it, especially when they push through so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree to many of us blokes bottle things up then wait to explode. I was one of those until it got to a bad point and I had no choice. If just one reader gets the message to go get help from my blog I will be happy.It's normal to me now and thanks to the help I got I can cope with the condition well enough to live a fairly normal life.

      I hope the full series of videos helps with your horse painting, my technique is a simple one I assure you once you have done a couple it's easier to do like riding a bike

      Delete
  11. Great video Loki! Really good tutorial. I always seem to find horses the most difficult to paint so that they look good. Hard to get the colours looking natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully after you have seen all the videos you will have no problems choosing colours that look natural

      Delete
  12. You know my thoughts already loki, excellent series of vids!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...