15 October 2016

All work and no play lately -

However I do not feel stressed, or concerned at the lack of personal time. I have come to accept that things change, and as my boys get older my free time is spent with the family more and more. Plans I made for getting things completed during the summer went awry, with the lads off school for damn near 7 weeks and me having to hold the fort on childcare duty for the majority of it. Stupidly I thought that I would be able to work and supervise without issue, I soon learnt that supervising squabbling siblings becomes more or less a full time occupation in its own right. This impacted heavily on what I was able to achieve and my work schedule, reducing me to only being able to complete projects for clients that had fixed deadlines attached. Fortunately most of my clients are on an as units are ready basis or are aware that their may be delays beyond my control so my head has not collapsed under a blanket of despair as I claw back from being 7 weeks behind on the schedule I have.


I have learnt the art of bulking up my desk in order to work several things at once, something that would have given me nightmares a couple of years ago is now a necessary evil. As you can see above last week I had a unit of infantry on the go and some cavalry waiting in the wings. With this kind of workload it is inevitably going to have some impact on me painting for myself but also has impacted on me getting out to game to a degree although the later is mainly due to my wife's working hours. Taking the time out to blog has also suffered as my focus is on work and after a 12 hour day I am not so inclined to be sat at the computer thinking of something to write. All blog posts that do require completion are those for Brigantes Studio, which has become the main focal point at present. The other issue I get, is those issues that working within the industry produces with alarming frequency. I am made aware of my services being needed by X or Y customer for new releases, just they cannot give firm dates for when they will have the figures to pass to me and this almost always happens with me getting the short straw and having a batch of figures to turn around in a week before they are released, thus wobbling the status quo again upsetting the schedule and causing delays down the line.


This week started with me finishing the previous weeks bits while working another unit of infantry alongside, so as you can see I am almost in a constant state of production. Taking time for myself to do personal stuff would feel irresponsible at present until I have made excellent headway into the backlog, so it is highly unlikely any of my own figures will be worked for the remainder of this year. I realise this post may seem all woe is me, but actually it's the opposite and serves to show that I have plenty of work and in this climate that is a very good thing. I am in fact very fortunate to be able to say I have a schedule that will keep me in work for the whole of 2017 as well. Most of all I enjoy what I am doing and that is a very rare thing, So I am going to make the most of it!


I leave you now with a shot of my workbench this morning, having finished a unit of Cavalry and infantry this week, I have also made good headway with another unit of infantry, completed 3 commanders, prepped and started 2 gun crews, and prepared another unit of cavalry. The completed units will all appears on the Brigantes blog in due course for those that are interested so until next time....

Happy painting ...

Loki

25 comments:

  1. Good luck and happy painting my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you have plenty of paid work lined up and that the problems aren't stressing you out.

    I do know what you mean about not feeling like doing much after a 12 hour day - the past couple of months have seen me working long hours, trying to cover for multiple colleagues who were on leave which left me knackered by the time I got home. Do try to set aside some time for yourself, even if only for gaming rather than painting - you deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gaming is a small problem that I am trying to sort but I have to be a parent first at moment.

      Delete
  3. Great to hear from you old chap and it sounds as if there is plenty to keep you out of mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed not much time for misbehaving in my schedule at present

      Delete
  4. Goood to see some great w.i.p.! greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that the work is going well and the balance between that and leisure isn't doing your head in. Of course family is more important than blogging(!), but we look forward to reading your thoughts/progress when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to be a little more frequent perhaps once a month for now though

      Delete
  6. Glad to see you're still plugging away! As for school holidays I always found sweets, gaffer tape and rope very, very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well its all good... just keep knockimg out what ya can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making headway I believe hope to have caught up by Christmas.

      Delete
  8. "Most of all I enjoy what I am doing and that is a very rare thing"
    That is indeed a rare thing and kudos to you for recognising and enjoying it! Pleased to hear you've got plenty to keep you occupied but that it isn't causing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Andrew! I don't know how you manage to paint for 12 hours mate, my body starts to ache & cramp after several hours of commission work - what's your secret?
    All the best,
    John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have a secret but I do get up from my chair and take 5 every couple hours to relieve the body a bit and loosen up

      Delete
    2. I don't really have a secret but I do get up from my chair and take 5 every couple hours to relieve the body a bit and loosen up

      Delete
  10. Good to hear that you've got projects booked for such a long time already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a busy, busy man Loki. Terrific stuff. Keep the forges of industry stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  12. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to your home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All the best getting through the lead pile Loki!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...