17 May 2016

Relocating the Great Hall and other stuff

Hobby time has fallen somewhat into neglect for the short term. The main reason for this is I am packing away all the non essential gaming, research material, lead and ephemera, due to a relocation of the Great Hall. A few years ago I moved inside the house, taking up residence in the small spare bedroom, for betterment of my own physical health. However now my sons are not so small and have reached that age, where they could really do with a room each I am taking a short trip back into the wilderness. I have been steadily working away on my weekends preparing the site for my new Great Hall over the last month. Shifting Flower beds, removing Dry stone walls, repairing and painting fences. Currently I have the site cleared and am almost ready to begin construction.

Yes it's not looking very pretty at the moment I will agree, but I have cleared enough ground to allow me the luxury of building a new home that is at least 12ft x 6ft, which will be an improvement on the overcrowded situation in the current 6ft x 7ft room by some 30 sqft. This should allow me room to fit everything I have currently into a purpose built space, and have adequate storage as well and a larger amount of wall space. I have designed the new Hall with painting firmly in mind, positioning the windows to maximise the available indirect sunlight coming in. Combining this with proper plans for the interior layout to utilise the space optimally and I should be good to go in a couple of months. Certainly before the Summer is out, and definitely before Winter sets in. I am building it with a keen regard to ensuring that my health will not be affected by the cold, so it will be equipped with plenty of good quality insulation, and of course the all important ventilation required to ensure it does not get damp either.

One advantage I hope to achieve is the ability to have enough floor space to build a Command and Colours table, using Hexon terrain. That way I will be able to make plans for war in the Great Hall and get the mini generals playing more often, with a cramped house we are currently reduced to using the original game board only. More on this subject in the future.

Now I have finally managed to lock away the demon depression for a few months and have been flat out working on a whole variety of figures for Brigantes studio. Furthermore I have been finding some personal project time and have quite a bit currently underway.
I am working away at a battalion of pre 1812 French Napoleonic Infantry, and a 4pt warband of Saga Anglo Danes. There is no logical reason for me having started two projects at the same time, but in my warped mine lays a plan at least.

I also gave into temptation and bought another book recently, One that has been languishing on my wish list for far too long. There is a second volume that deals with the Cavalry and Artillery.
Staying on the subject of books I have also added all the latest PDF's that have been made available from the History book man to me these are invaluable resources for painting and the level of information and detail is superb for the cost. If you have any interest in Napoleonic uniforms then I can highly recommend a visit to the site, click the banner advert on the sidebar.

Well good reader that is all I have time for currently.

Regards
Loki

28 comments:

  1. Great to hear old boy, glad to see things are cracking along for you mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing thats really cracking and creaking are my old bones.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear you're doing OK and I look forward to seeing the new Great Hall as it progresses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the wonderful variants in the British Climate it may take a while :)

      Delete
  3. I've been following your output in Brigantes, and am glad to see that you've also had time for your own stuff. It's great once the squat toad gets off your shoulder!

    The plans for the new Great Hall sound promising. I hope there's a suitable offering under those foundations though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice now, though the last 18 months have been tough. Brigantes has ggone from strength to strength which funnily enough has inspired and given me motivation.
      The time for me is also important, and I try to find a little of it each week, its not always possible but I am happy

      Delete
    2. I think you're right - the important thing is to make sure you have time for yourself and not be swamped by other things.

      It's no surprise that Brigantes has been a success given the talents behind it.

      Delete
  4. Best of luck with the building of the new Great Hall, looking forward to seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new Great Hall sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting times ahead! Best of luck with your building endeavours mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds and looks good so far Loki! Good luck with the progress on the new Great Hall!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a very similar situation here in Brazil, I have a small space where I store my modeling material and mine, crowded, painting table, but I'm moving to a larger apartment where I will have a 3x2m (6m2) room to return to practice my hobby. Good luck with the construction of the Great Hall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your move goes well Luciano and thank you for reading my blog

      Delete
  9. I'm at the opposite end of that spectrum, with children moving out rather than into their own rooms. Theoretically this means I have more space for my toys. In reality... not so much. Have fun with your 1:1 scale terrain projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the reality check, I suspect most of us would get a similar result. I will try to have some fun, but the building control officer (wife) may curb some of my enthusiasm if it does not look right.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a challenging project. Good luck with that Andrew and all the best for splendid hours in your new Great Hall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real challenge is the British weather, and getting dry days to work outside at this time of year

      Delete
  11. Mead my man Mead thats whats missing you need mead. Okay walls, roof and all the other stuff too. But seriously it is good to see the demons made asunder and the new Great Hall being built.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mead - Nectar of the Gods!!! that takes me back a few years to a time when I lost a whole 24 hours of my life due to over imbibing on a few jugs of it....

      Delete
  12. I'm in awe of people who can work and build in the 1 to 1 scale like this. If that's not enough, you have a smorgasbord of figures going too. Looking forward to seeing both!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...