14 February 2015

Ainsty Man of War - WIP

Conversations and obsessions can be dangerous things you know, before you know it you can end up with a golden opportunity but believe me it is hard work.

You see everyone on the circuit knows I am a little easily swayed by pirates and associated items. Last year at Triples I was talking to Martin about this after having purchased another Blackbeard figure for my collection and along came Andy from Ainsty castings who joined the conversation.

A couple of hours passed and my wife had returned from shopping with Diane and I sent my wife to have a look at the pirate ship I have had my eye on for a couple of years at least. I have always managed to resist temptation, that was till Andy wandered over and asked if I would paint him a display model of said ship, in exchange for one for myself. I thought about it for all of a millisecond and committed to doing one for him.

Newark show came along and low and behold I arrived at Kelham hall and I received a rather large box from Andy, I didn't open it as I had work to do but it weighed a ton. Opening it that evening I discovered my payment was a man of war and a merchantman in exchange for the painting, I was a very happy man.

I started the ship late last year, but was unhappy with progress and so it got stripped back and started over again recently, thankfully my moods are under control and attention is becoming less of an issue of late.

So here are a few snap shots of the work in progress. Sorry about the quality they are from my phone which at least seems to take better pictures than my camera of late.




The resin model really is superb if not a little challenging to work upon, mainly due to its weight, making it hard to hold in certain positions whilst detailing. However I am finally very happy with the look I have started to achieve on this piece and really am enjoying the challenge of painting something of this size for a display piece. My intention is to keep the whole colour scheme fairly simple in palette but bright enough for it to stand out from the crowd so to speak.

Well folks thats all I have for today I will be back again soon so thanks for reading.

19 comments:

  1. Oh well, it takes Allsorts I guess ;)

    It's looking fantastic so far Loki - can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm both staggered and somewhat jealous. Super job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work and I love the detailing on the stern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Τhat's gonna be a proper Pirate Ship!!! Nice progress Andrew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a sweet thing you got going (sorry but Tamsin started it)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is impressive! Looking great, and certainly an imposing beast. It's quite a thing to be made of resin, you're getting a work out while you paint :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's looking very fine indeed even at this half-finished stage. Keep going, we want to see her in all her glory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very impressive work - She'll be a fine ship!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful piece of art you are creating Loki! Beautiful work Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you do the highlights and shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a hefty looking model! Love how it's turned out so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an impressive looking ship, can't wait to see the finished model

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a rather inspiring piece of work :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's freaking awesome! A very cool project to have a crack at.
    I recently watched the first season of 'Black Sails' and I start to see why Pirate gaming could be very interesting. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my look at that! Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bloody hell how did I miss this? That is a monster and you are breathing life into it. Stunning

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...