9 December 2014

This years Nemesis is completed - Winter War rejects

Earlier this year I received a large pile of crap from a customer that had been unfortunate enough to have invested into the Baker Company Winter War kickstarter. I unwittingly agreed to paint them up before seeing the actual products, a hard lesson learnt there and one that will not be repeated.

I wont say too much more, only that I am ecstatically happy to have these completed with the assistance of Kevin for the final few bits after I lost the will to continue painting these feckers. If you own any you are going to need a pot of miracle dust, plenty of pins for the one legged spindly ankle freaks they just snap if you touch them, multiple diamond bits for a dremel to actually clean the miscast lumps, mould lines and detritus. Oh and a final note these were sculpted by someone who has no clue as to the anatomy of the human body at all with plenty of poses that are physically impossible for a normally jointed human.


 Tank and riders were done by Kev, he informs me despite cleaning the tank very well it would not accept a normal undercoat and he had to resort to an ancient technique to prepare it for paint, also the resin it is made from does not like superglue and he had to resort to contact adhesive to construct it (see it gave him grief as well) the fenders are very flimsy and split away from the body with any kind of pressure so they also had to be repaired :(


The Russian Infantry in a good mix of great coat colours and some unhealthy poses for a fair few but they painted to a wargames standard if only the fact it took three times the work to get that finish as normal


 The Finnish Infantry, not much better or worse than the Russians to paint and clean.

Try as I might to get good pictures my camera was being temperamental today perhaps it was the 100+ ugly mugs that I was trying to photograph that made the lens go into self preservation mode or the curse of these damn figures affected it. Either way this was the best I could manage and they will have to suffice. I really wont be sorry to see these leave the Great Hall at all. 

Loki

24 comments:

  1. Look at the bright side Andrew: you are the man who knows how to deliver. And you re not winging before you finish the task, just like a proper man should do. You managed to make them look good, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the lil $%&*¥#!
    Glad to see the back of em.
    They do look a lot better now they are finished.
    bye bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing good about the standard of the models, Andrew, but you and Kev seem to have pulled them back from the brink with a good deal of style.

    Well done chaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given the standard of the base material ,you have turned the sows ear into the silk purse.. Well done..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a brutal, energy destroying commission. Great brushwork saves the day and hides most of the sins of the sculptor. Note to self...just say no to Baker Company for WW II painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you did a great job as they do look ok now,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silk purses and silver lining... appreciate your pain but they're looking pretty good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing this chore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a soul destroying task, but, unfortunately, not confined to BC, although they do seem to excel at it. I think you've done a cracking job on them and you've certainly earned your crust on this lot. :O(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice painting on shit figures. Even in these images many look like the faces are wanting to slide off.
    Faces, Hands, Proportions and Pose. All failed by the sounds and looks.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not seen the figures unpainted and don't wish to either, looks like you've done a great job and I'm sure the owner will be very pleased........lets hope he's not that pleased and wants more of the buggers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you and Kev have done an excellence job with these and I have to agree with you about the weirdness of the sculpts. In this day and age of great sculptors, CAD designs it is amazing what comes out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing you can do with the poor sculpting, fortunately I was able to return mine or they would sit there until the end of time. You did a better job than most would have done

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  14. I fell your pain! Absolutely the worst sculpts I've seen in my life. Luckily I already managed to sell of my Russkys and I highly doubt my Finns will ever get finished either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You both have to be commended for working through this commission. Well done to the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Loki. I see what you mean about the molding and sculpting issues. Looks like your's and Kevin's persistence in correcting all the boo-boos, produced a nice collection for the client. They still bear your painterly trademark talent in blending, and sharpness where needed.(smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know - the only thing that bothers me is the lack of color. I'm guessing you're stuck with the client's wishes. The redeeming thing is the wonderful colors in their faces - at least from what I can see. That's all(smile).

      Delete
  17. I take your word for their flaws, but I have to say you and Kev did a marvelous job in masking them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job mate. Photo's are such a nightmare lately its that continuous dull light outside.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I imagine that there is nothing more soul destroying than having to work on something you have no love for, but to your great credit they look marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's what you call "turn dog shit into honey"! Great brushwork boys!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It has to be said...you've made a real silk purse of of this sows ear...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've both done all that's humanly possible to salvage this misshapen lot. I salute your dogged persistence in seeing the job done.

    For all its failings, the tank actually looks quite good. (It sounds like the client can never, ever touch it without risking it falling to pieces, but that's beside the point.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am still waiting for mine. I have to say, that I do not care too much about the minis, as I mainly pledged for the vehicles. Hope they are not as bad to prepare as you say. Although right now I am hoping that
    Imwill get my stuff at all... Somehow the past few weeks it is not looking too good.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...