21 November 2014

Taking the rough with the smooth

Well good readers I can confirm that I am definitely on my way back up, the black dog has for now apparently finished hungrily dining on my mind. instead it is more of light snacks, which are much easier to deal with. Until next time of course, but that is life, it cycles and so we must also learn to deal with all the challenges presented and find our own way of dealing with them.

This time the journey has been a long one, but I have rowed hard against the current and have reached calmer waters at long last. Sure things are not all plain sailing from here on in, but I am at last feeling happier and wanting to paint and get on with daily life again.

This week has been a great help. I decided that I would do some of the items that were always going to be pieces that just looked pretty on the table. They will end up being sold, as my move back to 15mm means these are surplus to my needs and any cash raised will buy me some shiney new lead which is always welcomed. That does not mean I have rushed them, indeed the opposite these have taken me as long to complete as a full battalion of rank and file figures would and I shall reveal the completed Vignette tomorrow, things are still drying.

It has been a bit of a revelation for me whilst working on these pieces this week. I can damned well paint you know!!!! I have always doubted my abilities, but over this last week something has engaged in my confused mind and although I am not one of the great figure painters in my opinion, I certainly am not bad with a brush. This thought pattern has come from all the comments you have left for me and it dawned on me that you see my work in a different light to me. While I focus on the attention to detail and striving for perfection, you see what I clearly forget and that is the finished figures. Yes I will come out and say it here and now like a lot of people I am probably my own worst critic, sometimes that is good as it drives the desire to get better, but failing to see you are getting better and produce good work is counter productive. So from me personally to each and every one of you Thank you. Now thats enough of the sentimental stuff I have the reputation of a stoic Viking to maintain and talk like that could get me ridiculed.

So what am I left working on at the moment.


Well from left to right, we have a Perry mounted officer, Part of the Perry Young Guard command in relaxed poses, this will be another vignette, and a couple of very nice Westfalia miniatures giving Boney a warm welcome in traditional British Fashion.

Yesterday as the vignette was receiving multiple coats of varnish and in the beginning stage of being based I decided to work on another odd figure in the lead mountain.


Once again this figure was inspired by a plate from the Knotel series and is an Adjutant of the French 1st Hussars. The sabretache is a bit of freehand.

That is my offering for today folks I am off to get the vignette base completed.

Loki

17 comments:

  1. Damn nice... Good to hear you are on the mend...you can certainly paint alright. Definitely worth inking of the end look and not too much on the process details,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, FWIW, I think you're a good painter and the stuff you produce isdefinitely top end. There's nothig wrong with self criticism per se, but humans commonly over do it. It'sa technique nobody ever teaches unless you're an Olympic athlete or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depression can alter our perception in such a negative way. Although we can always see what a talented painter you are, when your in the dumps it is impossible for you to do so. Glad to hear things are more stable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are improving for you. The hussar is really nicely done too, you definitely can paint well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see things are going better...this one is really splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My my he's a great looking figure, love the different shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally the penny drops - WE LOVE YOUR WORK! Great to hear that you are starting to find calmer waters Andrew, no one deserves it more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can paint alright! Good to hear that things get sorted Andrew. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can damned well paint!!! In the Wizard of Oz, there's a guy all dressed in green who answers the Wizard's door. Your hussar face reminds me of him. Gave me a chuckle. Can't wait to see the full display!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you've finally worked it out huh? You've a talent no doubt sir. Nice of you to join the rest of us in waking up and smelling the roses at last :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very glad to read that you are on the improve Andrew. Really like the look of the hussar too, very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very nice and I cant wait to see the finished article mate. As for the black dog it comes and goes but you come back stronger each time. Now for your skills with paint, jeez if I was half as good as you I would be happy and every time I see you new figures it just gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear the dog's back in the kennel. Hang tight.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sir can surely paint. I'm no stranger to that dog myself, and you are doing well to have the insight into the cycles we have to ride. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That freehand is just perfect.

    As we have discussed a few times now you understanding of your talent is way below the reality

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to see you're back in the saddle.
    nice work on this fancy hussard.
    seb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very fine painting once again Andrew. Glad you're feeling better

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...