26 October 2014

An intermittent post

It has been a while since my last post, albeit slowly recovery is getting there and I have been busy working away at some items for both Brigantes Studio and Warbases recently. I am acutely aware that Warbases Wednesday has been Awol. It will return shortly, I make no excuses for its absence as my mind has been fully focused on product development for Brigantes Studio more on that later in the post.

I have taken a chunk of personal time this last month on advice of my head doctor. I apologise to many of you if I have been a bit distant and not popping up as often as I would normally. I am sure old Loki will be firing on all cylinders soon. To that end I have also decided that this year I will not be taking part in the Analogue Hobbies Winter Challenge, I would love to fight for the crown again but I know that it would serve me ill to partake in the event this year. I shall however be following it with a very keen eye as it is the highlight of the year for me and a lot of excellent work is showcased to the world through it.

So what have I been up to, well I have continued working on the Russian Napoleonic Army for my own gaming and several battalions had their noses bloodied this week in a game with Kev at the Cabin. In fact gaming on a Thursday has been the only regular event for me of late. When I started building the Russian Force it led me back to my favourite period, their is something about Napoleonics that always draws me back. I have also had a large Russian army before so have a fair amount of notes and knowledge on the troops already but I have been reading a lot more recently and carrying out a lot more research into the army. Its a complicated force due to the constant changes that were regularly put into place throughout the period and researching the correct flags is an even harder task, but I have been reading several very interesting newly available sites thanks to Russian archives being more accessible. To that end I have been creating a range of flags for Napoleonic Armies that will be released through Brigantes Studio in the hear future.

Now I have not just concentrated on the Russians, in fact I have already begun work on several different armies. Poland, Switzerland, France (1804 pattern) and Wurrtemburg to name a few so far. Why have I done this well I discovered a severe lack of good quality 15mm flags for the period, I spend a lot of time on the figures and want it to be topped of with a nice standard when I can get them. Below is a sample of one of the Wurrtemburg standards that I have completed. Obviously I have copy protected this image while we sort out the fine details of making them commercially available.
I have found that making the flags although hugely time consuming and often tedious, has been of some benefit to me personally as it has certainly made me focus on the matter in hand. To that end I decided to make a small set of flags freely available for non commercial use to visitors to this blog and have created a set of Dark Age banners that are already scaled to print out at both 15mm or 28mm scale. Just click the image below and save them from the new window.
Well good people it is time for me to end this post. I hope to be back regularly soon.

Loki

28 comments:

  1. Good to see you posting again and the hear that you've been working. You do actually sound quite busy. I hope the recovery continues and, as you say,you're soon back firing on all cylinders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see that the recovery is coming along quite well! Quite a lot of work that you've been able to accomplish during this time too!

    And the flags look great! Very nice of you to share some of those with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew you take all the time in the world, but you dont need me to tell you that as the road to recovery can be very long but you will get there mate because you have the right attitude and support.

    Those flags you have done as amazing and show some skill there. Unless you I find creating flags very relaxing and somewhat rewarding must be my designer side coming out, but yours are very good and I love the way you have done them. Mind you if you need flags done you know where to come, only kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice looking flags, good luck with the new venture.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've been busy, Andrew. And thanks for sharing those cool banners!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Loki... a wish for speedy recovery. Love the banners and I can't wait to use them in a blog post over my way. I'll be sure to put a plug in it for you!!! I'll drop back by and give you the link when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the flags are giving you the focus you to drive on. I've been unable to accomplish anything the last two months.

    The flags are gorgeous. Very generous of you to provide them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back buddy and flags are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take your time mate. I too have thought about missing the Painting Challenge as I don't think I can achieve the same points as last year which was down on the year before but then decided to go ahead as the need to beat the previous year is only important if I make it so.

    Like the idea of the flags, 15mm does seem to be a bit of a gap in quality

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you blogging again ol' chap! Love the flags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you won't be participating in he challenge - you will be missed. There can be a lot of pressure in it but perhaps you could join and set a small target of painting for pleasure? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear that you are keeping busy and progress is being made on all fronts - just look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to have you back Andrew. The Dark Age flags look awesome and I will just have to use one or two of them soon. Looking forward to the Napoleonic ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the flags Andrew. Keep doing what you need to do to keep on top of things.

    Have you ever read War & Peace? Fair enough it can be a bit tedious in places, but I really enjoyed the parts where the Russian army is central to the story. Nothing will be learned about the period from it, but reading from a Russian author's perspective (and a former soldier) was enjoyable I found.

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see you back mate. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good news on the road back. Take your time though and don't make it a race.

    Great flags and good news about the 15mm flags too. As a confirmed 15mm-ist I get t'd off about the lack of decent stuff available, especially for C18th armies. If you offer a resizing service like Maverick Models do (what actually is 15mm anyway?) then you're onto an easy winner. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really appreciate your great work here. Thanks Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never give up, Andrew! Flags look fantastic and with no Loki in the Painting Challenge, you are giving others a chance. You are such a gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice flags Andrew. Look after yourself.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to see you back again!
    Take as much time as you need for yourself but anyway here are some people appreciating any sign from you.

    All the best
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice work mate. Glad to hear you are recovering. Sorry to hear you will not be in the Challenge this year but its entirely understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking forward to seeing your flags, especially for the Poles and Wurtemburgers

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to see you posting again mate!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the flags. Fortunately my friend Dan has the Wurtemburgers so I don't have to try to create that one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry you will not make the Analogue challenge this year as it is always nice to see your skill with a brush. (But you scored more points than me last year so that puts me closer to winning.... mhuhahahaha! Yeah right!) But good to know that you are taking care. All the best mate. If you need anything feel free to email me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My thanks to you all for the comments they are all appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back, glad to see you kicking and breathing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...