17 August 2014

Weekly round up 17/08/2014 - Ahoy there Land Lubbers!

Things are at a small hiatus within the Great Hall, after the carnage of the disaster and having got the hall straightened out again I have lost my painting mojo at the moment. Possibly because of the amount of work I have to do to repair and make good everything or it could just be one of those phases we all have from time to time.

However as one would expect I have not abandoned all hobby related activities, and indeed I have been doing a couple of things to occupy my time.

I have started playing an online pirate RPG and I have to say I am having a lot of fun, trading,plundering and sinking ships. Although Edwin did kop one from me the other day as one of my requirements in a game mission is to sink welsh flagged ships, though I did stop at one attack on him to be completely fair.


Click the banner above to help me raise some plunder folks! and if it is your bag come join me in the land of Avonmora. If not just give the banner a click anyway as I will be most grateful.

Now staying with the Naval theme for this post, for several weeks I have been writing and adapting my own set of Naval combat rules for the age of sail. As a small group of players we enjoy the period but hated the Trafalgar rules as they are very slow and cumbersome to use and rarely get you a ship sunk or a game finished. With a goodly amount of gaming years behind me and having play tested many rule sets and tinkered with others I took up the mantle to write a set for us that will play fast, be fun and get a result. Now I also had to be wary as we do have a naval officer in our ranks, so I was under some pressure to make it good for him too, especially as he paints and rigs all the 1/1200th ships for us to play with.

A Willing Foe and Sea-Room"
Fast play Naval action rules for the age of sail.

So the above image is the name I have decided and settled upon for our rule set. I have used some elements from Black powder and Hail Caesar as well as a bit of Fire and Fury etc within the make up of the rules. These games all have their plus points and minus points but play-testing will refine the game further and after each session notes will be made and rules amended.

So far we have managed to have some good play testing time with this game and thankfully Rear Admiral Glenn is most pleased with my efforts, though not so keen on the fact his dice still fail him!

One of the early challenges for us was creating the hex system and developing that to work with the eight points of a compass, a bit of chat and head scratching after the first play test saw us change a few things around and that issue was solved. We went with a hex system to make movement very simply as each vessel moves a set number of hexes or makes a number of turns in relation to its speed rating. No tape measures required and no need to account for inertia etc as they are all calculated for in the speed allowances.

The compass in reality plays a more major role with the wind and weather so we have worked out how to align the compass to give completely random wind direction for all games and it works very well.

This week saw us go larger with the fleet sizes, and with several different rated vessels as I wanted the data cards tested and to calculate any adjustments we would need to make across the board. One of the elements of Trafalgar that we did like happened to be the ship data cards, although I have heavily redesigned them but they enabled you to accurately track your vessels demise without complicated calculations etc. Other than dice,a few markers and a pen this is all you need to play the game.

one of the data cards I have compiled click the image for a full sized view.
One of the great elements of the Black Powder and Hail Caesar games is the order system and the fact that officers can and do make errors of judgement! So I had to have a blunder table for anyone scoring a double six when making a command roll.

2 x D6 Score
Blunder Table
2
Mutiny, you must role on the despised by the crew table.
3*
Something strange is a brewing! roll on the wind table.
4
Anchor not secured and drops, vessel comes to a dead stop
5*
I don’t be liking the look of that! roll on the weather table.
6
Rudder jammed, steer 1 compass point anti clockwise
7
Rudder Jammed, steer 1 compass point clockwise
8
Cannons are hot! firing this turn is at ½ effect rounded up
9
Jonah on board all morale saves are at an additional -1 this turn
10
Unidentified underwater hazard take 1 below the waterline hit no save allowed
11
Inspired crew all morale saves are at +1 this turn
12
Advance 3 hexes forward and carry out a boarding action if able to do so!

So onto our latest play test, I have been acting as Umpire for all the games as I wrote the rules and also this enables me to follow the play tests closely and make adjustments for events I see happen and based on Kevin and Glenn's feedback.

Glenn was impressed with the work Myself and Kevin had put into making a sea table for the game room.

What follows is not a game report as such just a few pictures of the play testing in progress, as truth be told I forgot to take too many pictures as I was recording how the rules worked in situations and taking notes for improvements.
Kevin tries to work out which vessel is which as he deploys
Glenn swaps Rum for Tea as the British Fleet approaches
Things are going to get ugly
Sure enough ships make a visit to Davy Jones

So far we have been very pleased with the way the game plays and now I will work on all the extras that come with naval combat in the form of some National characteristic and special ammo.

That just leaves me to welcome aboard the latest followers to the Great Hall: Eric and Pippoweb row heartily for your longship folks and enjoy the visits to come.

That is all for this week folks have a good week ahead.

Loki

45 comments:

  1. This looks really good - I'll be interested to see more AARs (Aarghs!). The table and the ships look brilliant - where do the latter come from?

    As to Pirates Glory - I got a ticking off from my Guildmaster as we've aparently got a peace treaty with Iron Helm!!!! I told him that you attacked me and expected him to wring some compo out of IH for me, but he just left it at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are purchased via Magister Militum Edwin. Never mind no one batted an eyelid in my guild at all :) as to compo thats not how this pirating lark works, ye steal plunder and leg it ;)

      Delete
  2. Well that just cost me 1000 gold coins! I hope it helps.

    The pirate rules sound very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules are working nicely and the donation was well received thanks

      Delete
  3. I like the rules overview and agree with your thoughts on the "Trafalgar" rules

    Please count me in if you're in need of playtesters across the pond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may well do that as I am considering publishing them so will give you a shout

      Delete
  4. Like the gaming table for the sea battles. Be interested to see how the rules turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great looking table. Awesome Sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Andrew. That is a fine table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty they are an improvement on the carpet tiles

      Delete
  7. So far, so pretty damned good! This looks like one of those games that never dies - gets put on ice for a short while and then back out on the table again for another series of fights. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope so Gary and speaking of such can you email me as we want to invite ye over for a game

      Delete
  8. Great looking ships and table. I can surely understand your break from picking up the paint brush at the moment. Looks like the naval game is a nice way to get back into the feel. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its certainly keeping me occupied as I write them from scratch and we playtest them every week

      Delete
  9. That's an impressive looking gaming board. Looks like it will be a stretch to move the ships at the centre of the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its no problem at the centre of the board though we do have to stand up when we have vessels on the other side of the table to reach them

      Delete
  10. Great looking table. I'm very interested in seeing how your rules come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron expect a lot more batreps in the coming month as we are solid play testing now

      Delete
  11. Arrrrgh
    Double aaaargh me hearties.
    Well done buddy.
    Looking forward to more testing this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AARRRRR that be the rum on the back O ye throat

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to see your naval rules grow. I'm still looking for a nice set myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am likely to be wanting a few volunteer playtesters if you are interested

      Delete
  13. Tottering turtles! I got you your 1000 gold pieces! I'm still waiting for the return of the old Disney Pirates of the Caribbean online game which should be out in a month or too. The only computer game I enjoyed (maybe because it's really easy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank Ye for raising me gold level me lad. Might give that a try when it comes back myself

      Delete
  14. Very interesting that ruleset. More AAR´s, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all getting very nautical around here lately - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye Matey, it be a raw wind a blowin from the South East. A tot o'rum should warm the belly while I devotes more time to fine tuning the rules

      Delete
  16. Take my money and then dash off your sloop will you?! That title is a winner! Your rules with a hex system looks very interesting the complex sailing in most age sail games puts people of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I be thankin ye for the gold pieces master Robert. The rules are being designed very much with simplicity in mind but maintaining a degree of realism for flavour time will tell but I hope they are just what is needed

      Delete
  17. You certainly do keep busy! Another big project and it looks like a good one.

    Hey, Congratulations on your win with the Rejects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to keep busy Anne, lots on the go here but not much painting.

      As to the win, despite that bugger Ray's report he hung me out to dry in that second game ;)

      Delete
  18. Certainly a great looking table and love the blunder list! no 5 me favourite matey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a little mutiny either!

      Delete
    2. The whole blunder table adds some light relief to the game, we are going for maximum fun and enjoyment and of course bragging rights as well, though I should be safe as you need to roll double 6 to blunder and we all know I only have 1's on my dice

      Delete
  19. Looks like great fun. Pretty cool!

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice looking navel board and I'm curious to see your rules when finished.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, I hope to publish when I am satisfied they work well

      Delete
  21. Hmmm this looks interesting. I am keen to see more of this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint there will be plenty to come in the month ahead as we do some serious play testing with the full set of rules now completed

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...