2 July 2014

Warbases Wednesday #18 - The Celtic Cross

One of the most recent additions to the range of terrain pieces is a very nicely priced 28mm Celtic Cross, at just £2.00 this is a no brainer for me. The whole kit is very simple to build taking 5 minutes from start to finish, plus a bit of time for the glue to dry before it can be painted.


The kit contains 7 pieces which really are self explanatory when it comes to building.


The only tip I have to align the cross is using a couple of cocktail sticks to hold them in place while the glue dries.


Now these crosses can be used in many periods from the Dark Ages right up to the modern day. Now we often see them in cemeteries and they are grey with age and often covered in lichens and moss etc. So I have painted the first one to represent this.

Painted in a range of grey tones this is a modern representation of the cross, a few patches of moss and its ready to go onto the table.

Now for Dark age gaming these things really need to be jazzed up a little as they had a rather more practical use in days of old, and research has proven they where indeed richly decorated with pigments.

So I picked some nice colours and started to enhance the whole thing, above is the back with some added knot work to the lower section.
Just because I am a bit of a glutton for punishment when it comes to Celtic inspired pieces, the front of this I added a Raven design in knot work.

For my mind spending £2.00 and putting a few hours work into the painting and I have something that will looks fantastic on the game table for minimal expense is a real winner.

As always this item is available to purchase (unpainted of course) direct from the Warbases web shop there is a link on the right of the page.

That is all for this weeks edition folks.

Regards
Andrew

31 comments:

  1. Bloody spectacular bud.
    Need a 20mm version of this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paint , i love it , is to little for my figures on this moment .But I think I'll make one .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice piece of kit for £2.00! Every board needs one...

    And your finished product is a fantastic piece - I love the Dark Age version with the cross-over between religions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fanbleedintastic work Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top work Loki, a bargain at £2!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff Loki - I'm completely sold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those came together great Andrew!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I say wow? Both versions are truly stunning. The colour layering, the shades. .. inspirational work Andrew. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh I just brought it today before seeing this and now I am well happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to give it an equally impressive paint job PK

      Delete
  10. I've always thought that this sort of terrain piece is best as a cast item but this looks surprisingly good for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again excellent work, Andrew!
    Honestly I prefer the grey version. What did you use to represent the moss?

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefan, i made the moss mixture a few years ago and honestly cant remember what is in it

      Delete
  12. would never of thought that it was mdf, from seeing your paint jobs. I really like the look of the piece, and would certainly consider buying one if I saw it at a show.
    top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising what you can achieve with paint work at times many thanks

      Delete
  13. Indeed greate looking Andrew !

    I got to get me one of thoses with my next base order.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good lord ! I forgot about Warbases Wednesday despite a quick order to them! I am sure you realise that Knot work is Germanic and not Celtic. But I quibble very nice piece of work, I prefer the more "modern" of the two, but it really is good to see both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are superb, Andrew! A big part of being a painter is to imagine the possibilities. I love both versions, especially the knots. Looks like another buy for SAGA.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...