26 July 2014

Urgent Housekeeping thanks Blogger !!


So last evening I was happily sorting files and browsing the web as one does, and I decided to implement a small change to this very blog a very simple procedure and as always I backed up the template before making changes as one is instructed to do in these circumstances. I proceeded to make the necessary changes, but upon saving the effect was to unbalance the whole blog so one decided to leave well alone and restore the status quo using the freshly saved back up. Yes you know what's coming now don't you, it saved a corrupted back up and would not load!!!!

After the usual high amount of expletives and cursing the problem still remained and to make matters worse, I had published a post only a couple of hours prior to said incident. So whilst I was fiddling about trying to restore order I knew I would be causing readers some issues. However I could not leave it in disarray so began the task of sorting the blog out. I quickly put up a template and moved widgets around to get a basic look in place, but in doing so I realised just how much detritus the home page was carrying. So I saved the new look and started some Google Fu looking for inspiration. I wanted to really de clutter the blog and have pages to hold the important bits so the blog had a streamlined look.


Now not being particularly skilled in the ways of CSS coding and the like I used the Google Fu to find how too items, and this is where the real fun began. I used one way then another as all the instructions I where following failed to implement correctly or they failed to work how I thought they should. Then I had a bit of a brainwave and did a small experiment. Et Voila! I am obviously a little more knowledgeable than I gave myself credit for and my first trial worked a treat. I had managed to move the contact form onto its own page. So then I thought well I could move some other items to pages of their own and really clean up the blog. I wont bore you with the technicalities but basically the process is a case of hiding widgets and making them visible on a page of their own. So they are still there in the background but not visible unless you view the relevant page.

The cleaners worked late into the early hours of this morning in order to complete the task. I have now cleaned the blog out completely from top to bottom and relocated everything that I wanted to onto pages of their own. So now followers can join or subscribe to the blog by clicking the Join this blog tab and a full selection of subscription options are available for you. The contact widget now gets a page of its own too. I decided to keep the labels visible but moved the post archive to a page as it really does not warrant a location on the home page as the recent post gadget serves that purpose and is more visually pleasing to me.
Finally I cleared the footer and relocated the blogs I follow to a page of their own, where it should help me to see the updates a lot easier and clearer.


Many thanks to the cleaners who performed admirably throughout the whole evening as the Great Hall was finally dragged screaming into this decade at least for now. I would encourage you all to have a good poke around at the new look and visit the pages and express your opinions on the new design in the comments section below as the blog is only any good if the readers find the visit entertaining and easy to use.

Regards
Loki

46 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good, Sir! I had some FTX with the military, more overtime from work, and more FTX to come shortly. I still haven't fixed my blog and I found some of my posts are missing photos now! I'll have a busy Autumn fixing the ole girl up and replacing the photos...not to mention posting my hobby escapades of the summer. I am also clearing my workbench for a possible entry into this next seasons painting challenge. After all the physical efforts in gear and 5k's with my daughters, a season of chair time is gonna be very welcomed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the new look and look forward to seeing what you do when time allows

      Delete
  2. Looks good as does the new staff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new staff are great although a bit clumsy and often distracting me

      Delete
  3. Hmm. You seem to of made a mockery of that greatest of Yorkshire sayings: "Change is not good."

    Looking good to me, Master Axe-Flinger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be because I am a London Lad and '"change is as good as a rest".

      Delete
  4. Very interesting it gives it a very streamlined look. I'm not going ask why the cleaner is losing her clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so clumsy Robert and keep getting them entangled in the implements so being a true Viking I suggested removing the clothes would solve the problem ;)

      Delete
  5. It looks smart. You are brave to fiddle, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a small bit of fiddling that got me into the mess in the first place, so once I started to restore things it seemed logical to do it all

      Delete
  6. Looks really smart, but not for me all this buggerin' about. Something ALWAYS goes drastically wrong . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something did go wrong hence the buggering about ;)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like quite a wild ride there. Looks quite smart and clean to my eyes. I like that "Loudest Longship Members" widget. Now who'd have guessed number one would be Rousell?

    I want that widget for my blog. Can you tell me where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I see you have already implemented the gadget on yer blog lass and yes that infernal badger is everywhere

      Delete
  8. You seem to have a fair grasp of Google-Fu. Much better than my own. I can see I will need to work hard at raising my voice on the longship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you have received any messages from me I have tried using the contact page and it freezes when |I try to send it. If you are receiving them Great If not then feel free to contact me either by email or Phone (Ray Fran, Big Lee or Postie can provide details if you game with them next week)

      Delete
    2. Clint I will make contact somehow buddy will speak to Ray in the week as need the details for the weekend visit. I have tested the contact gadget it it works there must be a glitch on blogger me thinks or the bloody gremlins are conspiring against us ;)

      Delete
  9. I like it, a nice clean look and easy to find things beyond the front page. You have turned disaster into opportunity! I would probably have thrown the computer through the window. Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Initially I was rather angry but the blog and its followers are an important part of my life so I had to sort it out immediately. I took the opportunity to implement a lot of tweaks that made it a better experience for everyone.

      Delete
  10. I like it too Andrew! Very well done to keep your cool under such conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog looks great as do the helpers!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great overhaul, I do like the new look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you like the new look Monty

      Delete
  13. Looking good there Andrew, my compliments to the cleaning crew!

    Good readable font as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the new super dooper looking longboat and I promise I will row harder.

    I like your cleaners and I was wondering if they are for hiring for a spot of, ahem, cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it all PK, and yes row harder my friend its good excercise ;)

      Delete
  15. A tremendous revamp Andrew and I love the pages idea! The 'Loudest Crew' widget is a dream especially when you look to see who is on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the new look. I thought the loudest member gadget would highlight the fact I value my readers and those that comment and of course allows some healthy competition between the crew :)

      Delete
  16. It's a fresh new look, I like it. Who knew that vacuuming (err, sorry, hoovering) could be so hazardous? Well done.
    Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am terrified of fiddling with my current blog settings ... you Ser loki are a brave soul. Nice cleaners btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the fiddling was entirely as a result of the problem a little tinkering caused so have to agree with you

      Delete
  18. New look looks good, Andrew. Your supreme efforts paid off dividends. That all said and done, I'm even more inclined not to mess with my blog :)! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean I dont intend to play around again!!!

      Delete
  19. Like the new look and item, where did you find the Most comments Longship Membership gadget, I can't find it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young padawan I have sent you an email with a full set of badger proof instructions for you to implement if you so desire

      Delete
  20. What a nightmare. Every coders worst fear is a corrupted backup. I speak from experience. Still, the outcome is a definite improvement even if it caused you grief along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Yes i am no coder but can appreciate the difficulties they face after this as basically it is a start from scratch situation

      Delete
  21. Egads! What a nightmare!

    I never change anything on my blogs, for just this reason - I don't want to have to start all over again!

    On another note, I am now feeling competitive - that top 20 commenters... oh my, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the new look! You found a number of interesting gadgets. Top Commenters? That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...