15 June 2014

Weekly round up 15/06/2014 - Taking stock of the situation and sorting things out properly

One of the failings I have is a rather obsessive compulsion when it comes to my paints. I like them all in neat little rows grouped together and colour coded or at least grouped similarly. However I have a vast amount of paints from many manufacturers, I have far more Vallejo paints though as I love the dropper bottle and working from a wet palette these are perfect. However most are in drawers as I don't have racks for them. I have also become somewhat disenchanted with a fair few of the Foundry Triads, some of them are so far apart on the colour spectrum to be useless together and some are so closely matched there is no discernible difference between the three shades, some have two that work well and the final shade does not and similarly with the coat D'arms triads. All these factors I have been thinking about over the last week and how would I resolve the issues.


First thing was to sort the racks out a bit more and take a full inventory of my paints. I then decided that as I work with Vallejo in the main part I would take on the task of colour matching my existing eclectic assortment of paints to the colour chart. So with equivalent charts and Google I sorted the colours and matched them to the Model colour chart. Once I had compiled all this I was quite pleased with the wide range I already had and I made a conscious decision to fill in the gaps as the months progress. One of the main factors in this came after I sent two of the flip pots flying again this week, resulting in major clean ups of work area and a lot of wasted paint, I am also getting more annoyed that all the lids break off as well.

Over the years I have always kept a note book of colour combinations that I have used for many different uniforms and projects, but because they are not always to hand or I have to go searching for them I thought I should tackle that issue as well. Then to make things even simpler make triad colour charts from the Vallejo model colour ranges that I use and have to hand. I can always expand them as I add more colours to my range. Eventually I will replace all the flip top pots and only use dropper bottles which for me will be a lot less hassle.


So I have made a start on the combinations of colours I use and have made a printable sheet that I can put the relevant information onto and paint a swatch of the actual colours as well. When I make triads I also think about the ability to blend more if I wish to make the steps between more gradual so in fact by mixing between the relevant shadow and mid tone and mid tone and high light I can turn it into a 5 colour combination if the situation requires it. I shall be working them in colour groups over the next few weeks this is going to be a fairly comprehensive list once completed. I will of course publish the colours I use and the finished sheets on here in the future for reference. From the picture above you can see I am currently working on Reds and Oranges all these sheets will eventually be stored safely in document wallets and placed in a ring binder that I can pull out to refer to when needed.

In other news I am still cleaning the Baker company figures, glad I never purchased these atrocities!!! On the painting front I have several units almost completed for the AWI project that should make an appearance on here next week. As will a battle report of the Viking vs Saxons Hail Caesar game played last week. I was at Phalanx show all day yesterday working away as usual, although I did stock up on another 10 paints and got handed a can of varnish to trial and report back on more on that in another post.

Now for anyone worrying about blog prizes not having arrived please dont I have them all here on the list of jobs to do this week. The same applies to those who have emailed in the last week that did not have an urgent enquiry. I now have a break for a few weeks from the frantic show circuit that sees me rushing from one deadline to the next without time to do anything else. I also should return to a more balanced schedule of posts as a result, at least until August when I start off again.

Well good people that's me done for the round up this week.

Loki

38 comments:

  1. Now that is a good job to undertake , have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those jobs that has needed doing for a while

      Delete
  2. Andrew, this is so timely. I have a large collection of Vallejo but when I eyeball my color jumps, I don't always get them right. I've been mulling a big Foundry buy to simplify triads but (1) its really expensive and (2) the lids on the pots I have all crack.

    Looking forward to whatever you might share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty, I have an awful lot of Vallejo and did start to make a jump with some triads from Foundry, but my opinion of them is not that great for the cost and I am able to replicate many using the Vallejo so I am going to save money and stick with the Vallejo. I will be expanding my colours fairly quickly now I am painting for a living so it will not take me too long to get the missing colours from my collection, then I shall document triads from each color group and make them available for all to view.

      Delete
  3. It looks to be very organized! As to the Foundry triads which I my personal favourites I usually mix A+B or B+C when I have problems of too strong a contrast or add a little cream or white to C if I don't have enough and that usually solves the issue. I of course use Vallejo as well.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont get me wrong Christopher I like the triad system just not the Foundry price point and some of the range is a waste of money I have tried the mixing but that wont sort the canvas set at all as every colour is a mile away from the next ;)

      Delete
  4. Now I thought that was me that organised there paints like that and now I know its not I feel a little better. In truth I keep mine in a big box and randomly pick the colours rather than mix the colours together, oh do I do mix colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have colour OCD and yes mix and match my own as well but I want to be more organised and document my mixes and triads ready for my old age

      Delete
  5. That's far too organised with the old paint triads. As for keeping a record of what paints you've used for what uniforms, perish the thought.

    That being said, I guess for a pro-painter it makes good sense to do that.For me, I'll just blunder along as I always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have a touch of the organised in that department problem, I write records for each unit I paint so as not to forget what colours are being used, in case I break off midway from them. But each to their own method

      Delete
  6. I admire your dedication - makes perfect sense, since this is, after all, your profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth its the OCD getting the better of the situation Ev

      Delete
  7. An excellent idea, I look forward to seeing the results of this new system. Triads certainly are very handy for the commission painter in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the triad system to be a very good one for many people, I often expand well beyond a Triad, but try to compile a triad that blends easily by a 50/50 mix of each tone to make another 2 stages often to cover larger areas. I hope to get the first stage well and truly sorted and then start publishing results for all

      Delete
  8. It will pay off to be organised I think.
    Me...not so organised. Organised chaos...maybe just chaos.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do Chaos occasionally Brendon but its not good for me to be too chaotic

      Delete
  9. Great idea, time spent planning/organising is seldom wasted! Obsessiveness can be a good thing sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in these circumstances it can only be an improvement for me :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a plan Mr Loki, Vallejo, have gotta be the best paints out there so its a great idea to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Ray as it is the only plan I have at the moment

      Delete
  11. Ahh cracked paint flip lids! Yeah you got that right..... such a simple thing for manufactures to get right I would think. Yes they will say it's a lot harder than that but we can put a man on the moon after all so just how hard could it be *Continues the rant for 8 more minutes. *

    Nice to see someone sort the paint into a usable system convenient to them. I long to organise myself but I know I never will. So I really do admire you for attempting the task. I suffer both Entropy and Apathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could join that rant for ever Clint its a real bug bear of mine. As too the getting organised I may have just taken it a step further, lets see what comes of the mad plan hatched today

      Delete
  12. The organisation plan is excellent, Andrew. Even with far less colours than you have I'm loosing the threat sometimes. And Vallejo Model Colour is a very good choice in my humble opinion.

    Don't bother about the prizes. We lucky winners are patient chaps. ;-)

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Stefan organisztion is the key and should make things a lot simpler. I do like Vallejo paints they have a great consistency in the main and are long lasting

      Delete
  13. The organization is paramount to success. Remember the color and be faithful also has some.
    I use for years as the Vallejo colours too, they are high quality and well employed highly effective. What I also for some time I do not take plu that colors model Air, as anyway it is necessary to dilute them a water for the best result. Bravo for your storage.
    NB; I leave not souvenus long comments, because I speak English like a Spanish cow… ;)
    Cheers my friend
    Vincent .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry about your English Vincent it is far superior to my ability to use any other tongue! I have to agree Vallejo are a good product and seeing what you do with them confirms that

      Delete
  14. I shall certainly be interested to have a look at your chart when your done, at present it is all done by eye over here, but I often forget to write the triads down, much to my annoyance as I often forget the combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chart Sir it will be a veritable feast of charts once completed ( may take a while). I have always worked by eye in the main but started writing things down a long time ago after taking a break from a unit of Napoleonics and not being able to remember any colours used and having to start over. I still mix and match by eye as they are the best tools for the job but now I write everything down (have been known to loose notes) and hence the reason for one nice document wallet for future reference.

      Delete
  15. I too am very keen to see you chart when done. I have often written down the colours used but they all seem to get misplaced by the time I want them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have suffered that indignity in the past Rodger it is damned annoying to say the least

      Delete
  16. I must admit lately that I write a lot of painting guides down due to memory issues but as I paint at work when I can it has resulted in my paint system is a little chaotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes memory its a damned nuisance thats what it is the older I get the less I remember!

      Delete
  17. Mines organised chaos.
    Seems to work for the most part tho.
    I would also like to see the colour matches for the foundry and cda.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quiet a that'd to perform!

    Funny thing is... I absolutely hate dropper bottles and put all my paints in flip lid bottles (although I cut the lids loose). All my paint combinations are in my "kill book" which is alway in my paint cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd = task

      Autocorrect hates me these days!

      Delete
  19. I have kept a note of my own colour combinations in a wee book as my memory is murder. I have been slowly moving over to Vallejo recently so your hard work would be of great help to myself! I look forward to your published result and thanks for sharing them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very interesting, I'm definitely taking notes! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...