One of the failings I have is a rather obsessive compulsion when it comes to my paints. I like them all in neat little rows grouped together and colour coded or at least grouped similarly. However I have a vast amount of paints from many manufacturers, I have far more Vallejo paints though as I love the dropper bottle and working from a wet palette these are perfect. However most are in drawers as I don't have racks for them. I have also become somewhat disenchanted with a fair few of the Foundry Triads, some of them are so far apart on the colour spectrum to be useless together and some are so closely matched there is no discernible difference between the three shades, some have two that work well and the final shade does not and similarly with the coat D'arms triads. All these factors I have been thinking about over the last week and how would I resolve the issues.
First thing was to sort the racks out a bit more and take a full inventory of my paints. I then decided that as I work with Vallejo in the main part I would take on the task of colour matching my existing eclectic assortment of paints to the colour chart. So with equivalent charts and Google I sorted the colours and matched them to the Model colour chart. Once I had compiled all this I was quite pleased with the wide range I already had and I made a conscious decision to fill in the gaps as the months progress. One of the main factors in this came after I sent two of the flip pots flying again this week, resulting in major clean ups of work area and a lot of wasted paint, I am also getting more annoyed that all the lids break off as well.
Over the years I have always kept a note book of colour combinations that I have used for many different uniforms and projects, but because they are not always to hand or I have to go searching for them I thought I should tackle that issue as well. Then to make things even simpler make triad colour charts from the Vallejo model colour ranges that I use and have to hand. I can always expand them as I add more colours to my range. Eventually I will replace all the flip top pots and only use dropper bottles which for me will be a lot less hassle.
So I have made a start on the combinations of colours I use and have made a printable sheet that I can put the relevant information onto and paint a swatch of the actual colours as well. When I make triads I also think about the ability to blend more if I wish to make the steps between more gradual so in fact by mixing between the relevant shadow and mid tone and mid tone and high light I can turn it into a 5 colour combination if the situation requires it. I shall be working them in colour groups over the next few weeks this is going to be a fairly comprehensive list once completed. I will of course publish the colours I use and the finished sheets on here in the future for reference. From the picture above you can see I am currently working on Reds and Oranges all these sheets will eventually be stored safely in document wallets and placed in a ring binder that I can pull out to refer to when needed.
In other news I am still cleaning the Baker company figures, glad I never purchased these atrocities!!! On the painting front I have several units almost completed for the AWI project that should make an appearance on here next week. As will a battle report of the Viking vs Saxons Hail Caesar game played last week. I was at Phalanx show all day yesterday working away as usual, although I did stock up on another 10 paints and got handed a can of varnish to trial and report back on more on that in another post.
Now for anyone worrying about blog prizes not having arrived please dont I have them all here on the list of jobs to do this week. The same applies to those who have emailed in the last week that did not have an urgent enquiry. I now have a break for a few weeks from the frantic show circuit that sees me rushing from one deadline to the next without time to do anything else. I also should return to a more balanced schedule of posts as a result, at least until August when I start off again.
Well good people that's me done for the round up this week.