8 June 2014

Weekly Round Up 08/06/2014 - 15mm AWI project begins.

I have been busily working away and researching more than usual this week as I embark on a project for myself , Kevin and Glenn to be playing once the new AWI supplement for black powder is released.


The period of conflict is no stranger to me and over the years I have painted many units for this period but always in 28mm scale. With our regular gaming venue having a smaller table our decision to move into 15mm late last year was one born out of practicality and costs. All new armies for the periods we play is an expensive choice both financially and in time costs.

Now while at Salute this year I spotted the AWI manuscript for black powder a period I and Kevin really enjoy playing. Originally I was going to paint everything for this period for our use but Kev being Kev plunged headlong into a painting frenzy then announced "I have started doing a load of AWI". After some cursing and swearing it was decided he would not paint any more Americans for a while and concentrate on the British while I worked the Americans, these little issues come up as we both like to have both sides for everything we play. I will do British and I dare say Kev will do more Americans once we have enough of one side completed each.

This left me in a bit of a dilemma though as upon further talks with Kev, he had used Lancashire Games 15mm figures. Now I must admit it now and say I learnt the true reality of "don't knock it till you have tried it" here!! Not for the first time in life but it's good to be reminded every now and again. You see a quick Google (not always a positive move) and you will find a lot of complaints about the figures etc etc and I am a bit of a lead snob as Kev puts it. So he offered up a unit of Americans for me to paint to see what I thought.


Now this is the point I was rather pleasantly surprised as the unit of 12 figures painted to regular table top standard looks fine to me. Indeed once I had done a little maths, I placed an order with Lancashire games for a couple of their battle packs and enough commands to get me started with 12 regiments. For the reasonable outlay of £40.00 or 33p a figure if you want to break it down even further.


I painted these up as Webbs Additional continental Regiment but I will save that for another post. Overall the unit once completed was very pleasing and will look great en-mass once deployed with some fine fellow Patriots.


So I have my side project well under-way now with 5 more regiments currently in progress. More on those later as well. Most of my Regiments will be painted in the wide variety of uniforms that were worn early to mid war as they are pretty colourful and of course I shall continue to share colour schemes and notes as I go along for anyone wishing to use them.

The rest of the week has seen me continuing to prepare Winter war Finns and Russians for a commission ( We will not be accepting any more baker company figures) these are a real ball buster to clean and God knows how they will paint up. They are quite possibly the worst figures I have ever seen in my 48 years of life on this planet. I still have not completed the 28mm French Indian war figures or the Fife and Drum 28mm AWI figures but they are coming along nicely and will be completed this week.

I will take this opportunity just to remind you all that the introductory prices on the Warbases animals will run out next Sunday so head on over to the web shop if you want to purchase while the prices are down there is a link on the right of this post. especially if you have contemplated the Hansom Cab deal as you will make a good saving.

So to conclude this post that just leaves me to welcome aboard the newest follower:  MarkG row hard and fast and the journey will be a good one.

Loki






36 comments:

  1. Excellent 15mm really isn't that bad a scale really good cost wise as well. I love seeing massed armies all ranked up. Looking forward to seeing this come to completion. I think you will be surprised how quickly you will burn through then all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cost wise its a good scale and become good visually as you can build larger forces

      Delete
  2. They are not bad at all and you've done a cracking job on them Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fran been a while since I did some 15's

      Delete
  3. I have only had a few packs of Lancashire games figures so in no way an expert but mine were quite nicely cast and sculpted. But maybe I just got lucky on the pack codes for the ones I had.

    These are looking good and AWI is a period I have often thought about doing. I really am eager to see you do more of this period. But I don't want to see any Assassin's Creed 3 figures. Do you Promise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no assassins creed will feature so you are safe

      Delete
  4. Great looking unit. Must agree that 15mm is the way to go. many of my projects are now in this scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for our black powder era games a big change but the end result should be good

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the mention, I'm very pleased to be on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice when subscribers engage thanks

      Delete
  6. Looking realy good !!!

    I to might get back in to AWI with the release of the AWI Black Powder suplement, been a couple of years sins last AWI game...

    Will follow your work with greate interest !

    best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what we are excited about its been a long time for us and with all our other games being black powder it seems fitting to make a return to our table

      Delete
  7. I'm contemplating a new project myself at present. Quite entertaining as I've not started anything from scratch for years.

    Shame about the Baker Company minis, It can really take the enjoyment from painting when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worse is the fact that the Baker company are a Brigantes commission that will teach me for agreeing to something without seeing the base quality of what I have to work with first

      Delete
  8. Good luck on the project! I gave up on 15s a number of years ago, but some of you still do the tinies some justice.

    AWI has become a much more interesting period to me since joining the blogosphere. The version they taught back in school was quite simple and boring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gone full circle in regard to scales, but it works for our table so happy to go with it

      Delete
  9. Excellent work on those tiny AWI guys. I'm sure they'll look a blast when arranged as an army at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they look great bud, cracking job.
    The Brits are coming along although I am using a lot simpler style than you are.
    I can hardly see the little buggers anymore.
    Simple high contrast style for me although I may be tempted to add a little highlight on the jackets.
    Damn it, may just have to now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see the difference that one little highlight can make ;)

      Delete
  11. Splendid looking troops Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the concept of 15mm but I really couldn't see to paint them these days!. They look very nice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have +3 magnification glasses and an optivisor makes them huge :)

      Delete
  13. Great looking figures! One of my favourite periods as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a great period as its unpredictable to play

      Delete
  14. Great work on these AWI troops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very fine work, Andrew. Looking forward to the finished army.
    Jeepers, wasn't Baker Co the outfit behind that Winter War Kickstarter? If so, I almost got talked into it, glad I resisted. I appreciate your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed it was Padre and you will be pleased to know that your abstinence on this occasion was very wise they are truly awful

      Delete
  16. They do look great Andrew! AWI is period I really enjoy and look forward to following your progress. I keep trying 15mm for cost and time saving and have some things to show for it, but I always quickly go back to 28mm as I find it more satisfying especially now that my eyes are not the same as they once were.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a slightly brighter colour palette which seems to aid they old eyes on the table

      Delete
  17. Those look brilliant !
    Actually I've pondering about 15mm for FIW or AWI for some time, but in our gaming group the boys stick to larger figures because of the worstening eyesight they say... ;-)

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stefan see my answer above, I also have your email and will respond fully at the weekend

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...