7 June 2014

Paint Table Saturday#31 - 3rd New Jersey Regiment "Jersey Blues" 1776 & 1st Connecticut Regiment ( work in progress )

Another weekend comes onto the Horizon and as usual the wet weather has me at the paint table working on some of my own figures again.

3rd NEW JERSEY
There is a degree of confusion over the actual uniform worn by this unit at what time. One account states dark blue faced red the other accounts state light tan or drab faced blue! so as you can see no one actually is sure when the changes were made but both uniforms were issued and worn.

I have referred to my various sources again several ospreys, blandford and my new encyclopedia and gone with the majority who believe this was the uniform worn prior to 1778.

I also have this uniform listed as one worn by three deserters captured in April 1776 from Captain John Moss's company. So that's what I will go with.

Waistcoat and Breeches and Jacket - Foundry Rawhide Triad
Facings and Turn backs- Coat D'Arms (Royal Blue) followed by Copenhagen blue
Straps and bag - Coat D'arms Bone then Vallejo off white
Stockings - Vallejo Game color sombre grey Grey then Vallejo Game colour steel grey
Tricorn & Cartridge box - Black then Vallejo German Grey
Gaiters & shoes - Vallejo German Grey  then Vallejo Grey green


At present I have the flesh worked and the base uniform colours on and have just started to highlight the facings.

So with the 2nd unit of figures under way I was torn between two units too paint for the last group of figures. Having slept on it last night I have decided to go with the 

1st Connecticut Regiment.



Picture on the right is the only image I have of this regiment. Though I have enough descriptive infoprmation to confirm the colour scheme.

Once again I have made a good start to this unit  and hope to complete them this weekend.

Waistcoat - Foundry Bay brown Mid tone, Rich butternut Shade
Breeches - Coat d'arms pale sand Vallejo game colour off white then Dead white
Jacket - Red rust , Raspberry then Holly berry
Facings and Turn backs- same as Breeches
Straps and bag - Coat D'arms Bone then Vallejo off white
Stockings - Coat d'arms horse tone grey then light grey
Tricorn & Cartridge box - Black then Vallejo German Grey
Gaiters & shoes - Vallejo German Grey  then Vallejo Grey green

This will leave me with a gun and 4 crew to complete the force and allow me to begin the 15mm versions for my own army.

27 comments:

  1. I shall look on in admiration as you paint up these fine looking fellows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice progress. The "In Work" photos look really good. Are these Fife & Drum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the remainder of the Fife and Drum figures Jonathan

      Delete
  3. A Good start to these, knowing what to do is half the battle

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Very nice indeed. I too look forward to seeing these chaps in all their glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good. The post title really caught my attention. One of my forebearers actually served with the Jersey Blues during the FIW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very hard fighting regiment in that conflict and in this period to by all the accounts I have read

      Delete
  6. It's always nice to see how much goes into the background of selecting uniform colours. I shall watch how this progresses. But I do like what I have seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start, Andrew. You're on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great so far. It never ceases to amaze how they used to wage war in the past ... wearing bright-coloured clothes that screamed shoot me shoot me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think due to the inaccuracy of the muskets at the time colour was not a factor

      Delete
  9. Looking really good so far Andrew.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola
    Buena mesa tienes para este sábado
    Atento estare
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work there Loki and who makes the figures as i am thinking about doing AWI using Donnybrook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work as usual my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work on these so far mate. Before I sold off my AWI figures one of the really interesting aspects of that conflict was deciding on the American uniforms.

    Which figures are you going to use for your 15mm scheme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uniforms are a major draw for me too Gary and one of the periods I have a good library of reference material for.

      The figures will be Lancashire games 15's full explanation in the next post

      Delete
  14. Great progress so far! Can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking good so far. All the different units/uniforms are really making this period more and more interesting. The Perry Minis don't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a great period to look at and the diversity of early period uniforms is good

      Delete
  16. Very nice start !

    AWI are a greate period, looking forward to see more of your work

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...