19 May 2014

Weekly Round up 19/05/2014 - Gangsters, Sculpting and Triples

I realise I am a day over due for this regular post but having been working with the Warbases team all weekend I really did not have any energy last night to be writing a post, so you will have to excuse the lateness on this occasion. I also have not been reading as many blog posts this last week due to work load and despite my efforts have decided to not try to play catch up on the last 6 days worth of posts. If I have missed one of your posts I apologise.

Well I had no choice last week but to pull myself out of the funk and get into top gear as soon as possible with a week of doctors appointments interrupting my schedule on all but one of the days I had a lot to do.

I shall start with a real positive first this week, as I hit the brushes and started working on a rather pleasurable commission for a fellow blogger. A nice pile of prohibition gangsters from the Dixon Miniatures range. I have to say these figures are some of the best sculpts I have had to work on in a long time with very minimal clean up required.

The identity of these three will be revealed in another post on the Brigantes studio blog once I have completed this first batch.
Of course these are being done to our highest standard and with extras like the patterned suits an optional extra being added to create a really mean looking mob or two.

As well as the gangster project I had a bit of a job on tackling some sculpts for Martin at Warbases in time for the weekend as I only received the blank templates Monday morning.
These are a real sneak preview of the masters that I have made that are now going to be put into production, both types of cobbled roadways that were common place in the UK so you will have some choice in basing for the range of vans and wagons in the near future.
They have also been sculpted in two sizes to cover the full range currently in production. I am sure you will agree I had a very productive week before I even entered this weekend at Triples.

The weekend was spent working, having set the stand up mainly Friday evening, it was off to bed and an 8am start on Saturday to complete the job ready for the doors opening. I met many regular customers and familiar faces and did have a little time to chat to most of them at some points during the day. In fact by the time it came to closing the doors Saturday we were grateful as limbs ached. Saturday evening was our usual yearly outing with both families going out for a meal and a good chat, discussing things going forward in the future. The day had been a good one and we have some loose plans arranged for the future. Its best to be flexible when making plans as circumstances and other matters thus allowing some wiggle room.

This next piece is my own thoughts on the rest of the weekend and in no way an opinion of Warbases as a whole. Sunday at Triples was the usual graveyard with a trickle of sales all day long we were in danger of dying from inherent boredom and in fact rather unusually Martin gave the order to commence closing up just after 3pm as he also had enough. You see Triples is no longer the event it was and as several major traders are not there any more. No Perry's, Front Rank, Gripping Beast, Fighting 15's etc etc. It really has become and should only be a one day show as it is not worth the outlay and expenses for the second day.

I finish this weeks post by welcoming Will Mays aboard the Longships enjoy the ride. I have a busy month ahead now as there are a lot of regular shows this time of year in different parts of the country and I also have a great deal of work for Brigantes Studios to be dealing with. Have a good week ahead folks.

loki

26 comments:

  1. Great looking gangsters. Perhaps there will be a better turn out of traders next year or has this become the norm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great looking gangsters Andrew.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gangsters never looked better in pin-stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have hada very. Productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have the carriage bases done. Gangsters seem in vogue at present with both you and Tamsin doing them. Hope you got on Ok at the various doctors and that you are ok in your self.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gangsters look amazing! Can't wait to see the rest of them finished

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those gangsters are VERY nice. Well done. Also, thanks for the advice on the bases - they fit very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those boys are the tops, great to chat again, maybe we should have just come on the Sunday instead LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  9. A day overdue on your post??? Get your finger out!
    Great looking Gangsters!! Sod painting all them pinstripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work Andrew, really top notch on the hoodlums!

      Delete
  10. That's a pity about Triples, always liked the show. Never been on two days though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These gangsters just cry out for a snappy paint job - well, not so much cry out for it as demand it with menaces - and you've managed that in spades!

    "An' you better come up with the goods suitwise, capisce? Or you might find your brushes sleeping with the fishes..."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the gangsters. The patterns on the suits are superb mate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab work on the gangsters Loki. I'll have to ask Dave not to bring them to BlogCon 3 if I do run a gangster game - they'd make mine look incredibly shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those gangsters look fabulous. I love pinstripes! Very nice to see that your cobblestone pieces are going into production. Congrats on yet another commission!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BANG! You got nominated..
    http://dagamerstable.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/liebster-award-i-got-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent paintjob on the gangsters and some very nice bases. I'm looking forward to see more from this range...

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these gangsters, great looking stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Top notch work there Andrew and looking forward to reading of their true identity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love there gangsters top work on them but to me what has the steal are those bases. There are truly amazing chap.

    As for Triples I now what you mean and I wonder if it is more to do with the loss of the big players and with Games Expo a couple of week later and companies are backing that. But I agree it should be one day now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The gangsters are really cool Andrew. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All that is missing is Bonnie to mow them down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great looking figs, very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore your Gangsters, especially the fellows in stripes!

    I JUST watched Miller's Crossing yesterday, a recent-ish gangster movie by the fabulous Coen Brothers. Perfect companion to your perfect set!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...