28 May 2014

Warbases Wednesday #13 - The Hay Cart build and paint

This week I continue with another of the previously featured carts. It is the turn of the Hay cart to receive the attention of my brushes ready for a new place on display at the show stand.

I will begin with the build its not a complicated affair although you do need to work on the underside first to get it right.

 This is the base kit nicely flat packed on a wooden sprue.
 Remove all the sections marked in Red to begin
 Invert the nice etched base and place the wheel axle roughly centre for now.
 Then using a few drops of PVA adhesive on the chassis and rails fix one side then the other taking care to locate the slots with the slots and the lugs in the inner holes.
Once this is done it really is very simple to complete two outer rails either side glued with a slight pitch then two connecting rails at the front long one at the top short one at the bottom. Finally add the wheels and jobs a good'un as they say.

So now it comes to the painting and as can be seen in the above image they often had colour applied to them and after some google searching I found out they come in a multitude of sizes and shapes.





I choose to do this one in red it seemed a very popular colour when I was looking at images, I have done the main bed of the cart in a plain weathered wood effect, remember this is in the days before modern stains and preservatives so wood naturally greys with age.

This is a nice kit for £3.50 and would have a variety of uses as a scenic item for the table top in many different periods.

32 comments:

  1. I love this kit as I have one and it is fun to build and have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather enjoyed putting this one together and giving it a dash of paint

      Delete
  2. Great look , nice models and very realistic .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I really like about Warbases models they are realistic and allow you to make it your own

      Delete
  3. Love the vivid colours you have used, I will need some western types soon as the kids love playing the cowboys

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reliably informed western types will be added soon

      Delete
  4. Very, very nice indeed mate. Lovely kit and your colour choices are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy, the colours were inspired from images so I cant take the credit really

      Delete
  5. Nice little kit, I'm tempted to grab some to embellish my Hobbiton build...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The handcarts and wheelbarrow would work well with that

      Delete
  6. So nice!! Lovely colors...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't knock it for that price, another 'must have' piece of kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am shocked you dont own one of these already

      Delete
  8. A lovely bit of set dressing for any games table, and a very useful step-by-step as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need, I need! Just wonderful and required for any town or farm set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed its a great kit Rodger and fits many periods and countries

      Delete
  10. I think I will need another box just to put carts in. The price makes this a real bargain. As far as I am concerned Warbases Wednesday is a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are enjoying the feature Clint as much as I enjoy thinking of something for each week

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Its the sort of kit that comes in handy for anything

      Delete
  12. A great bit of kit, must get mine outta the packet and made up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The job is eating into your hobby time this year buddy

      Delete
  13. A nice little kit. Thanks for presenting it.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice color! I would never think about red. But it works really fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not considered Red until I started googling for some images

      Delete
  15. I think we are going to see a lot more red hay carts in the wargaming world after viewing this. The red works very well with the grey wood, so I will be copying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does sort of all go together and just pop, and definitely worth the money as I can see many applications for different vignettes and periods

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...