14 May 2014

Warbases Wednesday #11 - No more a Hansom Cab if ever I saw one Guv'nor !!!

I have been working hard on the various new ranges over the last few weeks leading into the run up to Triples 2014. One major project was the building of a full diorama base for the Hansom cab and all the new additions that will be released at Triples in Sheffield this Saturday and for those that cant make it they are already uploaded to the webstore for purchase.

So we have from left to right - Gent hailing a cab (metal),  A seated passenger (resin), a pair of coach lamps (metal), a whip in holder (metal) and a Driver (metal). Now in a special Introductory discount these are going to be made available for a limited time at the reduced cost of £5.00 for the whole set. The final price has not been decided but its likely to be around £7.50.
My last update showed the cobbled base I constructed for the scene. You will also be aware from the How To Guide I also built the Cab in preparation for this project. The carriage horse is available at the price of £2.50

My next step was to prime and start to paint up the passenger.

The sculpting on this resin piece is very nice and the resin needed minimal preparation before painting. I completed the full interior pieces but left the doors at the 2nd highlight stage ready to finish once in place.

Test fitting the passenger before I get too carried away with the painting.

As you can see from the works in progress, I choose to leave the roof off when I constructed this as I needed the front rails fixed and in position to sculpt the right sized base. The colour scheme for the cab is taken from some originals.
Next up came the driver, my research has shown these men to be very unscrupulous and dishonest by any means possible, and were regarded widely as ne'er do wells.
I kept to a muted palette of dark browns and greys for this figure, the only exception being a dirty white neck scarf to keep warm in the night air. You will see the step across the rear, this facilitates the figure resting onto the back of the drivers box, where the padded rest was positioned.
The other main figure in this expansion is a rather splendid gent hailing a cab, with his cane aloft! So I sculpted him onto a flagstone base and set to work on making him a more upstanding chap. I went with some natty pinstriped trousers to give him a refined look, with a deep blue overcoat and a yellow cravat.
It is a strange experience painting your best friends sculpts, yes all these additions have also been sculpted by Kevin Howroyd. I have to say I rather enjoyed doing them, and found them easy to paint and characterful so I hope he continues to produce more items in the future. Once again the quality of the casts is impressive as the figures required so little clean up before painting it made them easier.

So that left me with the coach lamps and whip in holder to affix and complete the cab.




I for one am rather pleased with how this has turned out, once again this is not the normal sort of project that features on my painting table. However these projects are giving me a lot of confidence in my abilities for tackling other periods. I shall be handing this over to Martin for his new display at the weekend as I will be working with him for the weekend at Triples. So pop over and say Hello if you wish.

One other major feature of this new release is a further limited time combination pack discount, you can purchase a Hansom Cab, Carriage Horse and the add-ons pack for £10.00 effectively giving you the carriage horse as well for free!

I would suggest that anyone who has been contemplating this as a purchase should take advantage of this fantastic set of opening offers and either purchase at Triples or via the webstore.

Andrew

41 comments:

  1. I saw this on the store the other day and damn fine job you have done on it. At least one will definitely have to be bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an absolutely stunning looking cab! You did a great job and especially the yellow turned out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers the yellow was the most worrying aspect

      Delete
  3. It looks great Andy.
    Stunning job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cor blimey guv'nor! That's some lovely work there.

    Battersea you say? Sorry mate, that's Saarrrfffoftherivver - you won't catch me going there at this time of night. 'Ere, I had that Conan Doyle chap in me cab last night. Very erudite man and a real gent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milady, took some doing I can tell ya!

      Delete
  5. Great model and paint Andrew .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very nice and a great price

    ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb! That has all turned out very nicely indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very Hansom cab indeed!

    Nice one, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an excellent model and you did a good painting work on the whole vignette !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid work, from top to bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking cab and splendid would be passenger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert, it was a nice project for me to tackle

      Delete
  12. Wonderful job you have done on this and the base just makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't actually need a Handsome Cab. But when has that ever stopped me. Terrific work totally believable and a joy to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint, I believe we die as wargamers if we dont have items we don not technically need

      Delete
  14. Lovely work there Andrew! Top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to comment off subject but the other day Tim and I
    were driving about, looking at houses that we can't afford,
    and we saw a yard filled with stone statues.

    The only thing missing: Weeping Angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are quite rare ! I've always dreamed to have one in my garden !

      Delete
    2. Indeed extremely rare items these days

      Delete
    3. Oh, I told Tim. I would love life-sized ones
      in our garden. Though I would be scared
      to close my eyes are move.

      Delete
  16. Lovely work, on a great new set of kit. Likewise Kev, nice looking sculpts

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great looking piece Andrew.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  18. I nearly missed this post... What a pity to have missed such an excellent piece.
    Well done, Andrew!

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...