24 May 2014

Paint Table Saturday #29 - Taking sometime to work on my Analogue Hobbies Winter Challenge Prize

Blimey is it no 29 already I have missed a fair few of these of late due to other commitments. In fact had the car not been in for repairs and the wife banned me from going away this weekend I would have been travelling to Posties for a game that Ray kindly invited me too. So with some free time on my hands whats a man to do!

Well I decided to give myself a little time doing some of my own figures over the next few weekends, between the shows and other commitments. To that end I have began the task of making some units from my Analogue Hobbies Winter Challenge 1st prize. I choose the $100.00 of Fife and Drum Miniatures with the intention of making a sizeable Muskets and Tomahawks American War of Independence force though I may change plans and organise them for Black powder or British Grenadier which ever way I choose the unit sizes are largely the same.

This is without doubt a period I like to paint figures for and in particular I enjoy the earlier period of this conflict and the wide choice of uniforms that one can paint. My first unit will be Sherburne's Additional Continentals circa 1776 - 1779


This command was one of the sixteen additional regiments authorised by Congress, December 27, 1776. These sixteen regiments were known by their colonels' names only, and had no number assigned to them, though they were in the regular Continental Line.



In 1779, the regimental dress of Sherburne's regiment consisted of black felt hats bound or laced with white wool braid as in the English Army, white buff leather cross-belts worn over a brown coat faced with yellow, dark green waistcoats and breeches, white wool stockings, and black half gaiters or spatterdashes of painted canvas. Their knapsacks and haversacks were of canvas also. The regiment was recruited at large, but was composed mostly of men from Connecticut.


The following painting guide is as much about me remembering the colours I will be using as this project is going to be spread over several weeks, but will serve to assist anyone who wants to replicate what I have done here.

Waistcoat and Breeches - Foundry forest Green Triad
Jacket - Foundry Bay Brown mid tone, Rich Butternut shade then Rich Butternut mid
Facings - Coat D'Arms (dark sand) followed by Foundry Lemon shade and highlight
Turnbacks - Coat D'Arms Pale sand then Vallejo Dead White
Straps and bag - Coat D'arms Bone then Vallejo off white
Stockings - Coat D'Arms Horse tone Grey then Coat D'Arms Elven grey
Tricorn & Cartridge box - Black then Vallejo German Grey
Gaiters & shoes - Vallejo German Grey  then Vallejo Grey green

The Fife and Drum miniatures are very nice indeed though will take some skill to get right are they are much more slender than many figures. They are perfectly proportioned and very realistic. I can see more cash being parted in the future on this range and if you have not seen the ranges I would suggest a visit to the blog HERE that is run by Der Alte Fritz you wont be disappointed!

I have made a fair start on these and have much of the main uniform blocked and first highlighted the green is completed and so far I am happy with how they are turning out.
As closer view to give you a look at the figures proportions.

Right I have another couple of hours to play before family life takes precedence so I am going back to the brushes for another round ! Hope you are all having a good weekend and hard at your brushes!

36 comments:

  1. They look terrific, Loki, nice work.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I wish I could be as productive as you. Really nice set of figures and I know you will do them justice. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling with these Clint they are so fine compared to many other makes

      Delete
  3. These look great, spent the morning cleaning up my lads Saga figures, he is planning to paint them tomorrow whilst I play ASL LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he enjoys the painting I expect to see them make an appearance on your blog

      Delete
  4. Looks like an excellent start so far. Unfortunately I really dislike the slender look of them but your painting is superb as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have to agree the slimness is giving me some difficulties I am not used to in a figure

      Delete
  5. Nice. I must finish my own AWI stuff for M&T, though they're 15mm scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly there were no 15's to choose as a prize this year

      Delete
  6. Hola
    Buenas esas minis si señor
    Que tengas buena pintura
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly an interesting uniform. They'll be very distinctive when done...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the more unusual ones I agree

      Delete
  8. They're really coming along nicely. I think you have the colors spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was one to the units I had before I flogged my AWI still last autumn. They certainly look the business when formed as a battalion. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the third time I have painted this uniform and still enjoy it

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear you can't make it to the game with the boys. That would have been fun. But you've got a fair amount of painting done and it's looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes her magnificence decided that as I am only around this weekend and away for the next 6 I should stay home - though she did let me paint :)

      Delete
  11. F&D are wonderful sculpts and your style adds greatly to them. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are excellent sculpts and I am trying to get my style into them although its not proving an easy job

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear you can't make the game mate, lovely figures as you said and we always have to obey the boss, well most times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes would have been good to meet you both again but there is always later in the year.

      Delete
  13. great progress so fsr on these. look forward to seeing the finished articles

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great start there Andrew, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, I hope they turn out well in the end

      Delete
  15. Sorry you didn't get to go be with the other goobers. That kind of blows but it sounds like you've found a good bit of fun to get into. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will miss the chance to goad Ray!! but there is always another time ;)

      Delete
  16. These figures are really nice, and I have some of them waiting for their painting. What do you think about the size of their weapons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem long due to the slender proportions of the figure, but having said that I have checked and they are scaled exactly right.

      Delete
  17. Nice work as always, Andy. The uniform colors are both interesting and subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its always nice to work some of the more unique uniforms into an army

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...