27 May 2014

I have the attention span of Zero! Here's " Blackbeard "

Yes it had to happen I got distracted again part way through the AWI project and have drifted onto another figure completely. This is an all too frequent affliction my eye gets taken by something shiny and I am off on a bloody tangent again.


This time it is all my own doing you see I had been really good while at Triples and had not purchased a thing, I made a promise at the start of the year and have done well to hold out this long in reality. That was all to change at Triples after a conversation with Andy and John of Ainsty castings. You see they have a product that I have craved for sometime, but being a bit sensible I have not splashed the large sum of cash needed to purchase it, not that I need permission you understand its just a very big item and fairly expensive and I have never quite had enough spare change in my wallet at anyone time. However my wife was with Diane at the event and they went off to have a look at what I had been offered. Sunday morning I got a nod in the right direction before setting off to work for the day so I did a deal (more after the weekend on this).

However you see this meant I had to now spend some money, not a lot and I knew exactly what I wanted. Having spent a fair bit of time on the Dixon's web site during some Facebook discussions with Dave for his gangsters he pointed out the range of Pirates. Everyone knows I have a weakness when it comes to pirates and they seem to thrive on pointing me in the direction of nice ones to paint up. So off trotted I to the stand to see Trevor and blow me he had not got any at all, however he offered to fetch me one on the Sunday as he was travelling back home Saturday night, so I collected Blackbeard on Sunday excellent customer service is what I call that. Combined with the fact he is a wonderful sculpt and has been looking down at my workbench this last 8 days and my resistance broke.

He came down from the awaiting attention shelf straight onto the paint table Monday afternoon.






I have not based him as yet and will have to wait to do that as I need to see what comes at the weekend before I decided exactly how to base the figure, so for now though Captain Edward Teach is completed

Edward Teach (also Edward Thatchc.1680—22 November 1718), better known as Blackbeard, was a notorious English pirate who operated around the West Indies and the eastern coast of the American colonies. Although little is known about his early life, he was probably born in Bristol, England. He may have been a sailor on privateer ships during Queen Anne's War before settling on the Bahamian island of New Providence, a base for Captain Benjamin Hornigold, whose crew Teach joined sometime around 1716. Hornigold placed him in command of a sloop he had captured, and the two engaged in numerous acts of piracy. Their numbers were boosted by the addition to their fleet of two more ships, one of which was commanded by Stede Bonnet, but toward the end of 1717 Hornigold retired from piracy, taking two vessels with him.
Teach captured a French merchant vessel, renamed her Queen Anne's Revenge, and equipped her with 40 guns. He became a renowned pirate, his cognomen derived from his thick black beard and fearsome appearance; he was reported to have tied lit fuses under his hat to frighten his enemies. He formed an alliance of pirates and blockaded the port of Charleston, South Carolina. After successfully ransoming its inhabitants, he ran Queen Anne's Revenge aground on a sandbar near Beaufort, North Carolina. He parted company with Bonnet, settling in Bath Town, where he accepted a royal pardon. But he was soon back at sea and attracted the attention of Alexander Spotswood, the Governor of Virginia. Spotswood arranged for a party of soldiers and sailors to try to capture the pirate, which they did on 22 November 1718. During a ferocious battle, Teach and several of his crew were killed by a small force of sailors led by Lieutenant Robert Maynard.

39 comments:

  1. As usual, that's quite a smart looking paint job! I like both the bright red coat, and those striped trousers. Smashing work!

    I'm tempted to copy the look of those trousers for some Revolutionary War French. Care to divulge on colors and methods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not the most simple of methods to achieve this look it took a lot of mixing and layers to do the base colour and then the same again for each colour but if you email me using the contact form I will try to explain in more detail for you

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work. Colours are so vibrant and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I went on the image I found and added a little artistic licence for an extra splash of colour

      Delete
  3. Shiver me timbers, me hearties.... He is ace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arr!! He be a ship shape cap'ain land lubber

      Delete
  4. I take it that the deal you've been offered by Ainsty is one of their lovely 28mm pirate ships?

    Very tasty looking paintjob you've done on Blackbeard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant reveal as yet as I actually have to wait and see what Andy comes up with, I will reveal all once I am certain.

      Delete
  5. Great work and colors Andew , i love it !
    Greetings .
    Vincent .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, beautiful colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I have this thing about pirates don't ask why but I really enjoy painting them

      Delete
  7. Heehee.
    I knew you would succumb to the distraction.
    Bloody hard not to innit.
    Lovely job aswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi Cabin Boy shut yer bloody face! who gave you permisson to come above decks and give your piece of eight's worth ;)

      Delete
  8. Very nice indeed. You have made the short list of painters I would employ full time WHEN I win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like him Clint, mind he is rather grand!

      Delete
  9. Lovely that just looks fantastic well done mate! I keep meaning to have a go at stripy trousers but chicken out. Need to find the right mini first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you need is a Viking or Pirate to give it a try! or a crazy Zombie :)

      Delete
  10. A distracted wargamer???? Could never happen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we've all got this disease!

      Delete
    2. I am cured just looked at that selfie of Ray again pure mind bleach :D

      Delete
  11. When they look this good who blames you for being distracted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the issue I have lots of nice looking figures laying about that call out to me and I lose all self control and discipline

      Delete
  12. Great work, Andrew. Blackbeard looks every inch the character I'd imagined him to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Monty, I did a lot of extra work on this one its a keeper for sure

      Delete
  13. Now all you need are the matches for his beard.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes would have been a good pose but unrealistic to have those at this scale

      Delete
  14. Fantastic job on him Loki. I must say I think your output is still really good for "slowing down". I hope the Britons can make a come back in the replay of the hill fort scenario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the personal stuff that has slowed to a snails pace due to the commissions going very well so I cant really complain one has to earn a crust

      Delete
  15. Great looking mini, Loki! Nice subtle shading, he looks grand!
    I know not of this weak focus ability you mention. I'm still working on my Penninsular War British and some relatively new cardstock, a couple of scifi fireteams, a few supers, some WW2, better tweak those space marines, hmmm, Black Orcs?, Whoa! 15mm scifi!
    Um...See! Iron focus I have! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed David you have about as much Iron focus as I

      Delete
  16. New blog Blackbeard's aft cabin! For quirky side projects. Great painting by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris , I will pass on running a third blog though life is hectic enough

      Delete
  17. I laughed when I read about your tangent. I have to hide figures away so they don't distract me! Doesn't work of course... Great paint job and love the trousers. Although I'm trying to finish my Anglo Danes, I do have some Vikings hidden away so I could... Dammit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried all sort of things to avoid getting distracted the problem is that I know they are there, and lots of them to do the job, still as long as my commissions get completed on time I am good.

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...