6 April 2014

Weekly Round Up - 6/4/2014

Its been a strange week in the Great Hall, well to be honest the last couple have been that way. Things are under going that period of change and transition that we go through from time to time in life.
Having won the Analogue Hobbies winter challenge this year, I had to choose myself a prize. Now having never won a damn thing in my life before I was rather pleased and very much overwhelmed with the choices I was given. An email from Curt only made this even harder. Finally I decided, and went for $100.00 worth of the superb figures that Jim Purkey ( Der Alte Fritz) offered from either Fife and Drum or Minden Miniatures. I still have not made a decision about my selection of figures from the ranges but I will be looking forward to painting these in the future.

Finally with scales an periods defined for gaming in the future everything is beginning to pay off. I wont deny that some of the decisions were hard to make. However they were made and figures that were no longer needed or the wrong scale have been dispatched and the proceeds put back into the new projects.

Everything I add to my personal collections will now be either 15 or 20 mm as I have mentioned in several previous posts. The exception will be my Napoleonic's that will remain in 28 mm as I flatly refused to start over with having spent a good chunk of the challenge adding to the French forces. The winter challenge was a good place to kick off and just the incentive I needed to start on the ancients for our gaming group.

On the gaming front things have improved greatly recently. Glenn, Kev and myself sat down and talked as we have all invested a lot of time and money into our gaming and we all felt that the problem we had with one player needed dealing with. So we have excluded the free loader for the last 6 weeks and have had no issues as a group, which I think speaks volumes in itself. It never easy making these types of choices and very hard when you have known the person as long as we have but the commitment is not there and we cant afford to keep buying figures and painting them just to include him in a game. No one minds spending the time and effort building armies for one period for use by us all. Though you have to challenge the matter when someone is doing nothing and wont invest in the rules either as they really don't contribute to the group as a whole.

I have started back at the paint table this week, after a bit of a break. The break was however spent doing a fair bit of work on a project that involves myself and Kev and should prove to be a positive one. More on this in a post after Salute as I will be spending the rest of the week ahead putting the finishing touches in place so we are ready to go. The picture above is a clue though!!

Yesterday saw me complete the Koryu Buntai, no pictures for now as I want to base them up first and then reveal them. The first group of Saxons are under way, I hope to have a good week and complete at least half of the remaining 37 figures in the commission before Friday, when I shall be leaving to attend Salute.

That is all I have for this week good people, have a great week ahead.

Loki


26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot to be happy about.

    Tough call on the fourth member, but as soon as you mentioned he does not buy even the rules I had to agree that it's the right choice.

    Other option would be to charge a gaming fee for all and use it to buy kit but the reality is that it's his money that is used for such

    ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was tough but had to be done, there were a lot of other negatives as well Ian.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear that you've dealt with the spare wheel - and you didn't even need to break out the thumb screws!

    Liking what you've done with the 'Samurai's' so far, so I'll check back to see how they look based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a pity I might have enjoyed using thumb screws

      Delete
  3. Dumping excess baggage, Postie has been trying to do the same to Ray but he still keeps turning up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not that bad, at least he has a sense of humour !!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like some interesting posts coming up. Shall look forward to seeing the finished samurai.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Souns like some good decision made. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Oh and your prize figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tough choices but well made ones Dave, we have all been there at some stage in life

      Delete
  6. A damned fine result around, no deserves it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said bud.
    Lots happening and all good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can always rely on me to speak plainly

      Delete
  8. Good to hear things are moving ahead mate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great prize, and well earned. I love the teaser pic, as I love all things Celtic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to enjoy painting them up, as to the pic all will be clear soon

      Delete
  10. Not a bad prize at all and clearly deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good time to come. My best wishes for that !
    And many congrats for the prize !

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to read that you are getting things sorted. Enjoy selecting your new fig's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spent a good few hours so far and got no where :D

      Delete
  13. I too have seen the economics of smaller scales and will try and move more things into 15mm(especially Ancients and Mediaevals) and try and just retain already started projects in 28mm or the must haves ranges.
    Wise choice on the Fife and Drum as that would have been my choice.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...