26 April 2014

Paint Table Saturday #25 - Putting the Horse before the cart!



Today I had a couple of spare hours so sneaked away for a couple of hours work on the display base that I have been working on. As revealed in yesterdays post I had sculpted a cobbled street ready for painting up this weekend.


So having spent the best part of an hour first thing this morning painting a multitude of individual cobbles in a range of browns, deep reds and greys, I gave the whole thing a wash of Vallejo sepia shade to add some tone and depth.

Once this had dried I base coated the horse and gave the cobbles a heavy wash of thinned black acrylic to further define the cobbles and recesses.
I am pleased with the final look at it is fairly close to what I wanted to achieve.
this is more in line with the original way a cobbled road was constructed before the square or oblong blocks were used later on.
So that left me the horse to complete for the initial part of this display stand to be completed.




That's the horse definitely before the cart on this occasion! things seem to be going well at the moment but I wont get over confident as there is still a fair bit to do before this will be completed.

45 comments:

  1. Superb! It looks tremendous already and we have yet to see sight of the cab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather pleased with how this is coming on its taken a fair bit of work but its paying off

      Delete
  2. That base and the horse both look smashing. Thanks for the tutorial, I'll try your method on my next base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I am enjoying this one as its something very different to my normal stuff

      Delete
  3. I love this. How cool. Very very.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola
    MAGNIFICO ,me gusto el modelado pero el pintado es magnifico
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias estoy disfrutando de este proyecto mucho, ya que es diferente a mi trabajo habitual

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work! Very nicely done.

    And nice to see another photo of Norwich ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Norfolk for a large amount of time and the cobbled roads were always rather impressive, and Norwich has some fine examples.

      Delete
  6. It looks amazing. I'm very impressed Andrew. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on the horse and the base Loki :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horse before the cart, indeed! The horse in harness is splendid as is the cobbled base. This will be a nifty piece when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible amount of work here!!!! Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Superb effort and results. I'd hate to put a cart down as it'll cover up the gorgeous cobble.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will retain enough cobble buddy if I have planned it correctly

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Its funny how I can sculpt terrain easier than details for figures though

      Delete
  12. Very impressive! I admire your patience :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks its not too bad once you get stuck into it though

      Delete
  13. That is a great bit of work, you really have captured the look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really does look the dogs nuts mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed those, now if only I had a dog that was cocking its leg ;)

      Delete
  15. Very nice work ! I love the colors.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would say you achieved your goal with excellent results on the cobbles.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks really great! Excellent result

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good stuff Andrew. It will be a cracking good piece when done. Good tips, thanks. MP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some of the most convincing cobbles I've ever seen. Wonderful stuff mate!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great result when you compare it to the real life sized example.
    Excellent work.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...