4 April 2014

Koryu Buntai - the beginnings and a product review.

During this years winter challenge I bought the Koryu Buntai for the skirmish game Ronin, not because I intended to start playing the game, but they called out to me... You have all done it something very shiny caught your eye you didn't really need it or have plans for it but it came home with you after separating you from some cash in your wallet. What they were to me was something to play around with and paint up for the sheer pleasure.

So I though I should share with you all a review of the box set in my usual style.

Price: This box set costs £22.00 for 9 figures making them £2.45 each so with my scoring method these loose a point for each £2.00 above my baseline in this case (9 x £2.00) so they loose 3 points giving them a 7 out of 10 Ravens for cost.

The Castings:  These are exceptional very clean and minimal mould lines. As a set they are very detailed and well crafted and plenty of life and flow in the figures. From this perspective its a 10 out of 10 Ravens.

The Painting : Well I have only completed 4 of the set so far.
 Sensei with katana and wakizashi
 Senior student with nodachi
 Senoir student with katana

 Senior student with katana
However these 4 are enough for me to make a judgement and from my point of view as a painter these are worthy of the maximum score, both for ease of painting and sheer quality of the miniature making the whole task easier. So it's a 10 out of 10 Ravens

That gives this box set an overall score of 9 out of 10 Ravens and I would say if you fancied painting up something that is just a little different from the normal these make a great purchase.

Loki

25 comments:

  1. These are wonderfully painted my friend and I love the poses and the sculpts. The only thing and this is to me that lets the sculpts down is the weapons they are a little on the large side, but that doesn't take away from the fact these are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to disagree completely the a katana is 36 to 42 inches long which means these are in scale to my eyes, plus they look awesome

      Delete
  2. High praise indeed and you've done a cracking job on them Andrew - splendid all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just be purchasing some dinosaur flying ww2 figures soon and that is going to be all your fault!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Thanks for the review - minis I could be tempted by but just have no real use for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sums them up[ perfectly I have no use for them but am enjoying painting them

      Delete
  4. Great models and fantastic brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Andrew! Love the color and patterns you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Monty, I have tried to keep the patterns simple for this scale

      Delete
  6. Lovely models and great paintwork. Looking forward to picking up a set at Salute for my Ronin games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They almost paint themselves to be honest

      Delete
  7. Shinyitis strikes again! Great work on the figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just cant seem to shake the affliction off, the only thing that saves me when I go to Salute is the fact I am so busy working I dont have time to go spending.

      Delete
  8. Very nicely done Andrew! I'm thinking about getting some of the Sohei Warrior Monks.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, I have been trying to improve my techniques a little with these

      Delete
  9. Excellent paint work and great looking basement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review Andrew! You did a great paintjob on these chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I shall take that as a great compliment from a painter as skilled as yourself

      Delete
  11. Superb! I have these in the lead pile myself somewhere but I'm trying to concentrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the concentration and attention span of a goldfish! I currently have 4 projects on the go at once.

      Delete
  12. Stunning paint work Andrew!!!

    Greate rewiev to!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Michael, I have been testing a new technique and it seems to have worked so far

    ReplyDelete
  14. They looks absolutely fantastic Andrew well done!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...