25 April 2014

Cobbling things together !!!!!

With my package of pre-release bits from Martin at Warbases having arrived Tuesday I have been rather sidetracked by them all. To be honest I expected this to happen as I have a deadline to meet and that is to have things completed ready for the Triples show in Sheffield in May. This has not stopped me working on the other items I have already started in fact far from it! But as with everything some careful planning and time management are needed to fit it all in.

I made a trip out yesterday morning to go and collect a few bits we needed for another gaming table build. An undertaking we are about to embark upon shortly, before travelling to drop them off with Kev. Another reason for the visit is because I wanted to show him the new additions to the Hansom cab now they were all cast up!! He had only seen the horses he had sculpted up to this point. It was good to sit and chat about how things were going in general and have an hour out from the flat out pace we seem to be going at the moment. I also needed to acquire another horse for the current project as stupidly I had forgotten to ask Martin to send me an extra with the cab. He is relaxing on a beach in sunny climbs at the moment no doubt having a few cold beers and unwinding, anyway I digress, I knew Kev had been sent 4 horses and he generously informed me I could have one of them to get on with as it was surplus to his needs.

So back to the Great Hall I travelled with the lead and new horse ready to begin the next stage of work.
I need to make the whole thing look correct for it being on display, and felt that to do this it was going to need a much better base. The standard wargame grass land effect does not really work for a Victorian street. So I had to cobble things up!!!!!! 


So having worked out placements for all the various elements, removed the horses base and secured it to an MDF pill base. I broke out some yellow grey milliput and mixed it with gusto. I then began the task of starting to sculpt the cobbles in the road. I am aware that at this stage it does not look pretty but this stuff needs a couple of days to dry out fully before I begin to turn it into a cobbled road with paints.

Right I just have to pray that it is fully dry ready for the next stage of work on Saturday!

Regards
Loki



30 comments:

  1. You are really busy these days, lots of irons in the fire. Your cobblestones are looking great. I tried to carve a cobblestone base a few days ago and it was rubbish. More practice is needed I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do a full tutorial to explain how I do it in the near future Anne.

      Delete
  2. If you have that much time on your hands I could use some help painting my front room. Seriously though, that looks really good and it will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great.
    Cannot wait to see this all completed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If what is in my head works should be good when completed buddy

      Delete
  4. That work will play out nicely once you break out your brush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work! I mind doing this with lentils year back, took a while but have a nice effect and if your in a pickle a ready made meal ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about lentils but just damned time consuming and fiddly, and wont taste to clever with pva on ;)

      Delete
  6. Looks great sir. A very clever way of simulating the cobbles indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Andrew! I like the cobbles too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola
    Buena esa peana si señor
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is good work Andrew, well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right. A cobbled street will look so much better than grass. Very nice work I am sure it will set the whole handsome cab off very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works Clint sometimes though the images in the head are not so easy to replicate

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I hope for once to be able to craft something that comes near to your high standards Michael

      Delete
  12. How did you sculpt the cobbles? Hand sculpting every stone or did you use something like the metal part of an old paint brush that has been shaped into a cobble shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tool similar to what you describe was employed for the task

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...