4 March 2014

Challenge Day 80 - Strength and Honour!!!

Last week saw me frantically trying to finish my favourite character bonus entry, I would not mind but its been on my desk for weeks. I wanted to get the look right and in the end it did not really matter as I ran out of hours to get the pictures taken in daylight hours and other commitments denied me an opportunity to retake them.

This was one of the hardest rounds for me too choose just one favourite. But I had to find just one, but there are so many for me to choose. There is Robert E Lee, Napoleon, Rommel, to name just a few from history without going into books, T.V. and films, some I had to dismiss straight away or I would have been defending my choice for ever and I do not have time for that. Obviously I thought it wise not to enter another SPIDER as the last one of those caused utter chaos!!

So I sought the aid of my wife in helping me narrow it down, which became as much use to me as climbing a ladder with broken rungs. The shortlist of candidates had not shrunk at all. Then a spark lit the imagination and one of my all time pass a few hours films is Gladiator, I know not exactly why but I do find it entertaining and it certainly has a moral value in its story line that is often inspiring "Strength and Honour".

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." 









I spent a lot of time working on this vignette, the figures are from the 1st corps 28mm range and were very nice to clean and paint. However I wanted to ensure this was kept in a very muted palette as the opening of the film is quite dark and moody. I wanted the figures to recreate that look. Quite hard when you consider I nearly always work in a bright and vivid Palette and a distinct style. To suddenly change your whole approach to a subject is tricky at times. Though I am really pleased with the finished piece. I was really deflated when I took the images as they are not as good as the figures themselves in real life. Sometimes things just go wrong and you have to accept thet, which I have, but it would have been good to get the right images.

Regards
Loki

19 comments:

  1. The muted palette is nicely contrasted with the accent colours. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paintjob! I really like how it came out. I know how hard it can be to change your preferred style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Painting - I also really like the color scheme

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb! What a great piece of work and a great character, certainly a favourite of mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maximus, Maximus! Top job. I certainly thought about this one too...a favourite film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic vignette!!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice mate and well executed. Can't see his mobile phone anywhere in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great one!

    I have to say, when I saw your vignette, I thought, that I should have thought of doing a Tribune Maximus! Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful vignette of one of my all time favorite movies. Your color palette is spot on too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great little piece Andrew and just about everyone likes gladiator!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent choice for a hero. I like the movie a lot as well.
    Just finished the 'Rome' series one on DVD. I enjoyed that as well.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic vignette - and yes, you will have your vengeance, Maximus

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola
    Que bueno,me gusta la mini lo as echo muy bien
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favourite characters from a splendid film. You have been a very good representation of him. Top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good movie and great vignette. I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...