Now before the challenge had started I had a whole heap of figures sat on shelves and in boxes mounted onto painting strips, cleaned and primed in black, ready for the off. Alongside this I had worked out that to keep on track of painting I needed a schedule of sorts hence the spreadsheet. This served me well throughout the challenge as it enabled me to track what I had left to do in various projects or bonus rounds. Together with a set of spreadsheets for the relevant armies or units I was organised as best I could be. I stocked up on basing materials and essential paint colours that were low and of course plenty of bases to mount them all on.
I had always planned to go really hard for the first month, because I wanted to beat my good buddy Kev to the 1000 point mark. After all I have heard about my failings last time out for a fair proportion of the year and I wanted to level the score. There is always plenty of banter flying between us, its what good mates do and its all in good spirits.
I hit the 1000 point mark three weeks into the challenge and managed to restore my dignity. However now I had a level of confidence to raise my target too 2750 which I thought would be achievable as I planned to take the rest of the challenge at a more relaxed pace. Then I changed my game plan a short while later and decided to go for the win. To prove something to myself more than anything, I have struggled badly with illness this last year and was unable to beat back a bad bout of depression, so I used the challenge to focus my mind and block things out and hopefully I would come out the other side in a happier place. It did not always work and at times the depression was a hindrance but I carried on regardless.
The big thing for me this year was a new focus on biblical armies and the challenge was an ideal setting to make a good start and set about building the Nubian Army. I worked three units at a time on this until it was completed.
Then 20mm Sea people the second biblical army that I will be working on heavily.
There were also the Bonus rounds of which I met my second side challenge of having entered an item for them all. However one entry with Spidey caused a lot of controversy!! Something I am not too proud of in reality and may refrain from out of the box thinking in future. However you can always rely on Loki to bring some mayhem to the party so maybe not. Alongside this I did a fair bit of blogging to boot. The facebook group was also a nice added extra, with encouragement coming from the members. The challenge is a most enjoyable event and some stunning work this year from everyone really made this special. I am totally exhausted after all the effort and hours I put into it this year but enjoyed every minute.
Now I even have a fair few items of shame as I lost some desire to paint at times and shoved them to one side. These will have to be done over the coming months and after Salute now.
A battalion of Peninsular British, 2 units of French allied Hussars and a set of Lukka Pirates. I just plain ran out of time with these.
A whole box full of French Napoleonic Infantry in various stages of being painted. Definitely a casualty of the butterfly effect.
30 Parthian Horse Archers, horses done and then I stopped (still trying to figure out why!)
When all is said and done though I am rather pleased to have pulled off a first place in this event, but more importantly I am pleased with how my work was received by the wider community as I tried to keep a certain level of quality in every submission.
Onto the final scores and breakdown:
Ranked #1 out of 61 participants.
I Painted 830 figures during the 3 months: 285 of those were 28mm, 545 were 20mm.
This amassed me a grand total of 4180 points. This equates to 44 points a day over the 95 Days.
I am going to take a couple of days off from blogging and put me feet up for a bit to recover. I sure I have earned that much at least. Thank you all for taking the time to visit my blog throughout the event and all the comments.