9 February 2014

Weekly round up 9/2/2014 - Sometimes I wonder !! ( A Rant)

Welcome to the Great Hall, for another week in brief summary.

It has been a funny old week, as you have already read I have not really painted very much at all until yesterday. That turned out to be a quite productive day, finishing two units that I had started, to add to my tally when I submit them.

Yes I am still hanging on by a thread at the top of the challenge leader board with 2640 points, but I expect this lead to disappear very quickly in the coming month as the race to the finish line hots up in the coming weeks. Although I will still be beavering away in the background working with my brush to complete as many points as I can. New targets have been mentioned but in all honesty, I did not think I could push hard enough to score the points I already have done, so I wont be setting another one as I am going to sit back and watch the next few weeks unfold.

Last week saw me enter some more French Indian war figures and a few Nubians.
I agreed to paint these for Andrew at AW Miniatures to add to his display stand that several of us painted figures for in order to get the Bloggers for Charity lead. At that time he did not have the Marines sculpted or even in his list of units to do. They have been by far and away the worst figures of them all to paint so bad, that I only took one picture!! Maybe it is just me but I could not get these looking any better and it was not for want of trying, but they have left me disappointed in the finish.

Which leads me onto another point this week, which was possibly the worst game night in a very long time, Trafalgar was the game and usually although a slower game plays well, for an evenings entertainment but this week it was just bad. I cant see me playing this again for a while without some changes being made especially when one of our number spent 4 turns blatantly using his own version of movement rules and then suddenly remembering he had not been playing right then claims all the extra distance to give himself the advantage. In 3 and a half hours only 4 turns were played and the bulk of the evening was taken up with the rather tedious job of working out which boat had the wind advantage to move before another. If ever a game needs more streamlined rules of play this is high up there.

For me it has also left me wondering why I bother, after all the over zealous nature and must win attitude of one person has always been there. But as I am getting older I find I can no longer accept this attitude any more, its supposed to be a game and a good nights fun. I and most of the group have invested in the rules and figures to play these games with, selfishly I have invested to have fun and have reached the point I cant keep building armies and investing my time, money and energy for a free loader to join in. Why a free loader well despite being told to buy and read the rules for the systems we play, he does not, instead his answer is always I don't need too as you have them. Why then week after week does he challenge rules and just drag a game down and do we all continue to put up with it! I really do wonder sometimes. I know Kev feels exactly the same about this situation as we have put a lot of time and effort into building up armies for different periods. We have even discussed playing on a different evening or during the day and that may well happen yet as things can not continue as they are now.

Well that rant is offloaded, and my apologies to you all for that, but occasionally these things need venting.

The week ahead should be a good one, provided the quack can sort me out with some suitable pain relief and get to the bottom of why my fingers are still numb. I am going to plug away with a few units of Napoleonics next week in an effort to get the first Brigade of French completed.

Loki




21 comments:

  1. I dunno, but I like those FIW French - not familiar with the sculpts, but your brushwork brought out the best nonetheless. My experience with age of sail and iron clad stuff has been mixed. The folks running the games being very nice at explaining the rules, but I find them too complicated for my tastes. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do right to rant... It's supposed to be fun!.. Move on and have it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess every club one or two members willing to turn up and play what's on offer, it's something that we have discussed at our club on several occasions, I guess for me I am happy to put a game on, that way I know I can play what I want.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  3. Interesting comments about painting the French. Every so often I come across a unit that is a git to paint, where no matter how much you try, it just does not go smoothly. I have found it best to just have power through, frustrating however that is or, preferably, put them aside and come back after a week or so when quite often the paint then decides to go on like magic....It always seems to be units too, never individuals..

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look good to me. I do know what you mean about certain sculptors miniatures being harder to paint I struggle with a few or have hit and miss results depending on the type.

    Can't really comment as I don't game regularly enough and not at a club. But saying that it would probably bug me as well. Especially if said person doesn't contribute anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm . . might just be the time of year cos I'm having the same problem with painting. Those figures you've posted look fine to me, but it's always a personal thing.

    As regards the passenger - off load him, he's ballast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree totally about the figures as I've just done a unit and if they hadn't been for charity I would have binned them as for the asswipe, send him down to see Davy Jones but we've all had them and continue to find their number in our hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see that progress is been made over at the Great Hall, but sorry about the club situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate Trafalgar, what a disastrous set of rules. Just say no to playing games with WAAC gamers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The figures look good Andrew and I understand how some figures are more difficult then others to paint. I suggest looking at them again later and I think you will be happier. Sorry about the situation with the other gamer.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. The French look pretty good, at east from the photo it seems you've hidden any model's shortcomings. I have encountered the gamer you refer to. I am not very diplomatic as you seem to be. I have enough conflict and stress in real life and do not need it in a wargame. I "apparently" tried to eyeball thump an idiot shortly after deployment. I maintained situational awareness and did not topple or crush a single ACW trooper. Probably why he got away! He hasn't been back since for some reason. BTW he owned neither the rules nor a single figure, but he WAS an expert on rules and minature painting and the ACW in general. I don't think he even brought beer or pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been examining the AW Miniatures' FIW figures on their website and they just do not look quite right to my eye. For me, the hands are several sizes too large with thick arms. Maybe the head is too big as well? Many seem to be too short in the lower half. Anyway, I needed some additional militia for my project and decided to order a few 1st Corps instead. Your brushwork ,however, is terrifc.

    As for the non-contributing gamer, I say jettison anyone that doesn't bring something POSITIVE to the gaming experience. This is a hobby and should be a pleasurable diversion from Real Life. One gaming friend once exclaimed that this would be a great hobby if it was not for the other gamers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how you feel bud and you know my thoughts on this.
    It just aint cricket.
    This has been winding me up for ages as you know.
    It' s time for a change i think.
    The French look great Andy, a job very well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is as good as place as any to have a rant.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had that same problem some times, and some of those figures have finished their "lives" in the bin... Sometime, it is not the right day...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, there always seems to be one person like this at any wargames club :(
    But if he's having to use other people's property to play and participate - charge him a hire fee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the figures look great Loki, the only real problem I had with the figures was there was a lot of flash on them, most of which I didn't see until I was painting the buggers!! As for Trafalgar....far too complicated, you need to have a go of Posties homemade naval rules, they're easy and most importantly FUN to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone, would like a set of the rules if possible Ray.
      As for the passenger its likely he is going to be set adrift this week.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like the game from h3ll mate. We've all had them and thankfully they are few and far between. If I was you I would tell them how it made you feel and if they can't accept it then I simply wouldn't play with that person again. This is supposed to be fun for ALL participants after all.

    You might want to give Form Line of Battle a go for your age of sail stuff. We love them, they are a great set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to read about your game. I gotta say, I'm with you. It should be fun. My husband Tim games on Monday nights via Internet with his buddies, and they are there to have fun, laugh, win or lose it just doesn't matter as much as getting together to play.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...