20 January 2014

Challenge Day 37 - Bonus Round Spider Controversy

First things first, once again the bonus round in the 4th analogue hobbies continued to produce some great work. So please pay a visit and cast your votes HERE.

I should explain how and why my particular entry came about.

Initially I had thought, well I have a few tanks scattered around here just paint one of them up and it will do. Some of you will remember that last year during the challenge I knocked out two complete tank forces for Flames of War. But that was just too damned easy and not very challenging for me personally.

Then I remembered about the Arachnarok kit I had, unloved for a couple of years it was tucked away in the shed with the rest of a much neglected Orc and Goblin force. Now this kit would definitely work for the round in the same way as an elephant with a howdah full of crew would, as in its original form the kit contains a howdah full of goblins.

I started work on the spider a few weeks ago, and whilst working on it I began to think about the task ahead, the howdah is a complicated build as it has no less than three build options, and as nice as the original kit is I wanted to do something different with it, possibly in the back of my mind was the fact I would not be able to complete it fully in time. Then I had one of those moments where something triggered in my mind, a long time ago I had heard an author describe their work as a vehicle for their own creativity. Hmmmm, I wondered is this right, so a quick search of a dictionary and yes the definition was there . I then thought well that's good as paint and miniatures work as a vehicle for my own work.

That is how I arrived at the spider, I also thought it prudent to check with Curt and it was given the all clear so I then proceeded to create something a bit different.

Now those on the Facebook group will know this did not go smoothly as after completion it had a rather unfortunate incident with the wife and a jumper, the less said about that the better, but I then spent a whole night slaving away to effect repairs and get it back to what you see below.

"Fortune Favours The Brave"





Now just to give you an idea of the size of the spider, it all sits on a base that is 6 inches long and 4 inches wide. The spider has a length and width of 7 inches or (18 cm) it stands 3 inches or (75 mm) tall. Each of the 6 rear legs is 6 inches long and the front legs are 9 inches long. The total time taken to complete this diorama is in excess of 30 hours.


I have attempted to replicate some Jewels within the treasure pile, and although I think they are passable I need to practise in this area a bit more.

The 28mm figure on the base is part of the Salute 2006 “Arthur and Mordred” something resurrected from deep within the lead mountain, I had not painted it till now as although I loved the sculpt of Mordred the depiction of Arthur was not how my eye sees him, Mordred however sprang to mind instantly when I started this as being suitably posed as well as suitable prey for the spider. The boss on the shield was large enough for me to free hand a spiders image from. 





The base itself is also part of the games workshop kit for the spider, but needed a little bit added too it, again I plucked a pile of treasure from the bits boxes and added this at the bottom of the trees to give the spider something to be protecting. the trees contain two hapless goblins, who make a lovely breakfast and are obviously far to dumb to actually steal the treasure and therefore are entangled in webs. the trees are festooned with spiders, webs, skulls and mushrooms all of which allowed me to go wild with the paint colours.


If nothing else this was a good fun piece to create, and really allowed me the freedom to get creative, not bound by any historical colour schemes that would tie me down. I hope you enjoyed viewing it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

Regards
Loki

55 comments:

  1. It is lovely. Beautifully painted and a real treat for the eyes. Right back to the painting desk and a few last Camels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken, anything can be a vehicle for the old ceative juices. I'll remember that for next year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully done Andrew. You definition is the exact sort of creativity that this challenge brings out. Much like Curt's definition of a villain in the last round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, its also helps me being an idiot at times

      Delete
  4. Wonderful, love the details and the blue color, really good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've said elsewhere, your interpretation of "vehicle" was definitely inspired. This was a great piece of work from your paint desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of this inspired interpretation tell me more ;)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Buddy, it will eat you feckin romans in turn one :D

      Delete
  7. Lovely work sir, fecking touch of genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, although there were many times I thought I am Feckin mad for even attempting this during the challenge

      Delete
  8. This is fantastic, Andrew! There's so much going on here. It does seem our hero is overmatched, poor fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty, yes I think he may be breakfast, or second elevenses

      Delete
  9. Outstanding work Andrew! It definitely was well worth the effort. Your blue is simply amazing and your basing top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stella piece of work Andrew and I'm so pleased that you managed to resurrect it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, praise indeed from a vignette master such as yourself

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I know this will be bang up your alley

      Delete
  12. So glad you managed to save this. It's bloody marvelous and it must have been gutting when it was damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, I was too angry for any other emotion to even come into play, although the repair has made it much stronger and there are no signs of the incident left to show

      Delete
  13. This would definitely give arachnophobes a start. A superbly gruesome piece of work - in a good way, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It frightens the feck out of me with its beady eyes staring at me from the shelf above me paint desk :)

      Delete
  14. So glad this was recoverable from the SWMBO incident. It's an inspired entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Dave none of this safe stuff for us veterans ;)

      Delete
  15. This is stunning work Andrew, the spider and basing is just outstanding. Glad you brought this back from almost certain doom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great effort Andy, love the colours you've used, who'd have thought a Spider would have made it into the challenge???? Hope you realise you set yourself up here, were all gonna demand more stuff like this from you. No more normal figures, just wacky stuff, and don't let Mrs Loki anywhere near it either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, I love doing one off pieces like this and perhaps more will come during the course of this adhoc year.
      Oh Mrs Loki is banned from the room save for tea duties...
      Although she loves this piece and wants it on display in the front room!!

      Delete
  17. Lovely work there Loki I do love the shading and colouring on the spider and the whole base brings it together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PK one of my more inspired works

      Delete
  18. Very nicely done Andrew. I like the leaves in particular.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christopher, they are birch seeds that have been dyed great for woodland bases

      Delete
  19. Fabulous work! That basing is just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick, the base sets the whole thing off nicely and pulls you in

      Delete
  20. Love the paintjob and with a reasoning like that... You could be a lawyer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although I wont be thinking of a change in career ;)

      Delete
  21. Brilliant paintjob and composition of the diorama! Love all the little details, like the spiderwebs and the small mushrooms. Also, the leaves are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonas, the details are something that games workshop really do well with their products,

      Delete
  22. Amazing stuff! This was easily my favorite from this fortnight challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samuli, its appreciated as I would not normally tackle a project of this scale for the challenge

      Delete
  23. Nice little piece of art! Great vignette and very colourfull!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...