14 January 2014

Challenge Day 31 - Huge Feckin' Disaster and tuft ' in it out!!

Things have been going really well and when I left you last I was busy working away on the entry for this weeks bonus round. I managed to complete the fruits of my labours and all was good.in the Great Hall.

I was quite chuffed with having managed to complete it and the wife even asked to see it, so I carefully carried it all downstairs and placed it on the side while she admired it, she then went to make me a cuppa and everything went wrong from this point onwards. Completely forgetting my work was on the side she leant on top of it, I shouted some mild profanity as I saw my work being crushed, she jumped and the piece was attached to her jumper for about 10 seconds. Now you know things are going to get worse when everything around you appears to go in slow motion. I stood jaw on the floor as my work descended onto the kitchen floor and split into several parts before my eyes.

To say I was annoyed at this point was an understatement as I picked up all the pieces and headed straight back to the man cave in a blind rage, I was best off out of the way and started the task of trying to salvage the train wreck. She retired to bed whilst I worked through the night, I grabbed 3 hours sleep while I let the glue dry and I managed to effect a full repair and repaint of all the affected parts. In all this item has over 30 hours put into it but I am very happy with finished article.

Here is a sneak preview of just a small portion of the base:

I have been steadily working through the Ancient Britons today and am making good progress.
With the cavalry elements painted, ready for basing in time for Thursdays game. I have also got the chariots and slingers completed.
The warbands are progressing nicely and the clothing is all blocked and highlighted, the wild fighter markers are also well under way and should be finished later tonight.

Now the main reason I have not submitted anything else is I seriously miscalculated the number of tufts I was going to use, So I am now in limbo awaiting delivery of my order, which will mean I can finish off some more Nubian bases that are sat in the basing queue minus tufts. One thing I wont do is submit something if I have to go back to it to finish it off, for me personally once they are off my table they need to be ready to use, obviously if they have not arrived in time for the game on Thursday I will use them without tufts, but that is a small technicality as they will at least all be flocked.

The fanatics are calling me again folks as they are ready for another layer of flesh, thanks for stopping by today

Regards
Loki

37 comments:

  1. Just reading about it is making my heart beat faster! Now's a good time for any negotiations with the missus though, every cloud and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've not met my wife negotiations are not an option

      Delete
  2. Ah oh!!! I'd probably have smashed into up more in a fit of rage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here....possibly! Glad you got most of it back together.

      Delete
    2. I came very close too doing that

      Delete
  3. That's a serious disaster to happen - glad you've been able to recover it.

    While you wait for the tufts to come in, you've got plenty of time to crack on with painting other stuff. Don't worry about the break between submissions - last year saw me on a 3 week hiatus while I was painting that damn Swiss pike phalanx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Tamsin, and have continued to paint up even more to add to the basing pile

      Delete
  4. There must be something in the water. get some sleep tonight and come back refreshed.

    I agree with you no going back to add things when it has left the painting table. Onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Clint there was reckon it was tampered with badger hair

      Delete
  5. Sorry had to chuckle reading this. Great bit of restoration work, the base looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good time to ask her about something you have been meaning to get>;-) What I see so far looks great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wont happen Christopher, the guilt never hangs in the air for long here

      Delete
  7. Its a moment we have all shared, just at different times. Sound like the repair was successful and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Plus now that model has a much more interesting history!

    I know what you mean about not submitting a model that isn't finished to your standards. As a slow painter myself, one of my objectives was to achieve my points goal without reducing the quality of the product. Don't worry, there is lots of time to go ...and lets face it: its not the worst frustration you've had this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Paul, and it wont be the last one I suffer either

      Delete
  8. Only reading about the disaster made me wince of almost physical pain. Glad you managed to repair it though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to rescue it and are happy with the end product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such disasters are certainly will sapping... but when you manage to effect a clean repair... the drama of the build adds to the joy of seeing the item subsequently in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Phil I have loads of that
      @ NIck Repaired and good as new thank fully
      @Edwin Thanks
      @ Scott, it certainly adds to the story

      Delete
  11. That's an impressive recovery. A lesser man might have thrown it in the bin in anger. ;-)

    I really like what I can see of the Ancient Brits!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cripes, this is epic stuff. Thank goodness you could recover it! Can't wait to see it now based on the teaser which looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh I like the look of that base. The tree and all those leaves have the colours that bring joy to my heart. I look forward to seeing the figures you chosen for this setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It takes a brave warrior to pull victory from the jaws of defeat especially after those jaws have thoroughly chewed and partially digested your treasure. I wager you are not alone in facing this type of calamity. I know I have.

    Your wife likely feels terrible about the incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Monty Thanks matey
      @ Michael, Oh believe me this is one huge entry gladly recovered
      @ Anne wait till you see the rest of it
      @ Jonathan my wife is alive and well after all whats done is done

      Delete
  15. Good to hear that you managed to fix it! Looking real good judging from the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sad reading to start with Andrew.Glad to see that you rescued thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had to be the luckiest break in history how this broke and was salvaged

      Delete
  17. Your first mistake was assuming she was actually interested in your 'little men'...

    Now I know my wife hasn't the slightest bit of interest so when I complete a project I point it out to her from across the room (knowing that at that distance she can't see a thing) and say "I've just finished these, what do you think", and she - bless her soul - takes OFF her glasses and dutifully replies "They look loverly dear, well done". Thus all is right with the world and balance and harmony are maintained in the Hadley Household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee not true at all my wife is very interested, in fact she oftens pops in to see what I am working on and pays great attention to detail, she has even sat with me and painted figures before, and pulled off a half tidy job in the past.

      Delete
  18. Ouch! I dare say you have given most of us nightmares reading this ...

    Good thing there was a happy ending to the story though! Looking forward to seeing the entry once it's posted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear Lord, that's not good news - looking forward to seeing what it was that you had to rebuild though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used rather less profound words when it happened but am ok with it now

      Delete
  20. Glad you've effected a repait, nice teaser too. It doesn't evoke 'vehicle ' for me though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's because I am not using the conventional definition of the word

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...