13 January 2014

Challenge Day 30 - Restoring order to the chaos and Druidic inspiration

Today has been one of those days, we all face them.

She who must be Obeyed ordered a clean up of the man cave!!
I drew the line at wearing marigolds for fear of developing a fetish
I could not argue with her in reality, as I had piles of boxes all over the floor save for the bit my chair and paint table occupy and detritus all over the place, due to flocking, desprueing and a whole host of other hobby related mess.

The clean up and sorting took the best part of 4 hours before I could finally get settled into my comfy new chair. Yes I went out and bought myself a brand new executive chair with a full back and some lumbar support, the difference is huge. I got myself a bargain with the sales still being on I managed to visit Staples and got an £80.00 chair for under £40.00. I have road tested it during the weekend and it is comfortable for a full day sat painting so I am delighted.

Next major purchase will be a triple bright Daylight lamp suggested by fellow blogger Monty a while back, they certainly are not cheap weighing in at £120.00 but it beats working in half light on occasions and should mean I am not painting directly below the bulbs on my smaller daylight lamps as I am currently.

Once I did get to paint today I had to get some serious work done on my entry for the vehicle bonus road, I think I have bitten of a bloody great chunk this time. I wanted to go left field on my entry, and have been working on it for a couple of weeks and have possibly put some 25 hours into it already and I am a long way from anything like finished.

One piece I did get finished was the Druid from the Celtic Legends box set.
 This was a great figure to paint full of little details, like the holes on his clothing, a little pouch, the staff was very detailed. I wanted this to be a very earthy looking incarnation of a Druid so the palette was very much picked with that in mind, and complimented with a sympathetic base, of leaves and heath shrubs.
Some of the thought behind this came from Ian over at The Blog With No Name , whose recent dalliances with role playing characters reminded me of the many hours I used to while away in my youth playing dungeons and dragons with some friends, I always played a magic user of one form or another so this fell firmly in that category for me. So my thanks to Ian for revitalising my mind for this piece.

Well another day draws to a close in the Great Hall, thanks for stopping by.

Loki

39 comments:

  1. Love the deal on the chair, well worth it. Good job on the cleaning. I have the office to work on this week and it's gonna take me awhile. Tim sorted through his stuff, now I gotta go through mine.

    Wow, it's already day 31? So fast.

    PS: How did you get that contact Loki thing on the left side of your blog? I would like to have that on mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have any choice with the cleaning, if you get my drift.

      The contact form is available in the layout page as an option now to add to a sidebar

      Delete
    2. Understood, but on at least you got a comfortable new chair.

      Thanks for the information. Going to try it on my blog. Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. It worked. Woohoo.

      Though mine falls off the page and doesn't look at neatly placed as yours, but hey, it's up and that's great. Thanks again and boogie boogie.

      Delete
    4. You can alter the page width as well I did for mine

      Delete
    5. Thanks. I thought about that but all my side pictures are fit to 220px to fit my sides. So ... I don't know that I want to go back and redo all that. BUT, it's something to think about when I give my blog a makeover. Which is something I've been toying with.

      Delete
  2. Clear up a man cave...... that is heresy!
    The Dru looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heresy it maybe, but my wife is not to be angered Clint she puts up with a lot but when she says clean I jump. Or the day passes run out very quickly ;)

      Delete
  3. I don't know if it's an issue for you, but one of the side-benefits from a triple daylight lamp is that it helps with seasonally affected depression. I've got one I'm supposed to sit under for half an hour a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes both my lamps are for SAD, although my disorder needs more than a couple of lamps to fix even in summer

      Delete
  4. Greate paint work on the Druid Andrew !

    ReplyDelete
  5. My room needs a tidy up, do you wanna bring the pinny and rubbers down to Gravesend, earn yourself a few sheckles??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feck Off, why would I wanna spend my time hoovering up Badger hair you fool

      Delete
  6. Love what you've done with the Druid, bit scared to try mine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have nothing to be scared of at all Michael

      Delete
  7. This druid is really awesome, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice bargain on the chair Loki. That druid looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is comfy Tamsin, reckon it would be good even if I had nobbies, the Druid was great fun to paint

      Delete
  9. Great work on the Druid ! I love it .
    Greetings .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the druid! You've really had fun with the Celtic Legends set!

    I do hope you find the new lamp as good as advertised. I love mine and wouldn't part with it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty, there is one more too come.

      I do hope the lamp is good I love bright light, at the very least it will save me running three light sources

      Delete
  11. Have to face this man cave cleaning thingy tomorrow said the missus....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seriously intrigued as to what your vehicle entry will be based on the above....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to keep your intrigue, so I will give you a clue its possibly the most creative piece I have knocked up in a couple of years

      Delete
  13. Jesus Andrew this is beautiful. It would be damn shame if something got broken :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleedin hell Anne, no need to rub salt into the open wound !!!

      Delete
  14. It is a very nice miniature. The palette you have chosen is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the middle of a Man Cave clean up myself so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes you just got to let SWMBO win...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on that figure, but tell us more about the light you plan to purchase.

    John

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...