8 December 2013

Weekly round up 8-12-13

It been a quiet week here in the Great Hall. Most of my week has been spent doing chores and sitting back and contemplating the future and what it holds for me. I have done little in the way of painting for a change, in fact that has been almost nil in truth. As evidenced below with only 3 riflemen making a small amount of progress. In part because I've had my "duck knocked off a little" and had to make some changes as you will have read in part on the bloggers for charity page. The other is because I'm like a fecking coiled spring waiting for the challenge to kick off!!! I have never been in the position of having so much stuff ready to paint, that I cant lay a brush on and its really hard to resist the urge. Still we are on the home straight now and I will be ready for the exact minute I can unleash the brushes.

The eagle eyed among you will have spotted that I have Big Lee's contribution to the Bloggers for charity painting marathon mounted onto some bases ready for some finishing touches. I shall complete this next week along with the laborious task of winding up my business and finalising the accounts.

Mid week was a bit of fun with fence panels being ripped asunder from their mountings and tossed in various neighbours gardens. The real fun was retrieving them and trying to stack them out of harms way in 80 mile an hour winds. Yes I have very few brain cells and thought it would not be a problem, I was sensible enough not to attempt replacing them until the next day though as the process of stacking them proved to be very hard work.

A lot of the week has been spent reading some books that I have borrowed from good buddy Kevins' Library. As I start to plan various biblical armies for next year. I have also been watching a vast array of documentaries via You tube.

Yesterday was a good day as the postman bought me plenty of packages, I received another batch of lead from Andrew at AW miniatures, so currently I am just waiting for the Marines and a couple of arms for some of the Indians, then I can dispatch all the outstanding figures.

As previously mentioned Big Lee's figures arrived all safe and sound in fact they were so well wrapped an Egyptologist would have been proud. It took me 5 minutes with careful scalpel work just to cut my way through the layers of tape on the box to open it. Only to be confronted by a dense wall of bubble wrap, each figure carefully wrapped and sealed with half a roll of tape in its own travelling blanket of wrap. Just the thing for getting something from A to B using the Royal Fail postal service here in the UK.

The final thing to arrive yesterday was a fresh set of weapons of mass destruction, from Rosemary and Co. Yes with the challenge only a few days away it was time to splash the cash and purchase a complete new set of brushes. As always with this company I have received superb service and received them the very day after placing my order, what more can a grumpy Viking ask for!!! and the chocolates were a nice touch and scrumptious and dispatched before the wife or dog caught sight of them.

Well folks that's all from the Great Hall this week, thank you for dropping by and reading.

Loki

38 comments:

  1. I like the new weapons, must get some myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I just had to get some as the last set have done a full 11 months worth of work and although serviceable still they are showing wear

      Delete
  2. I see the count-down has begun! Those brushes will soon be wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an effort to be more organised this year I decided this would be handy

      Delete
  3. Enjoyable post, Andrew!

    How can you stop "cold turkey" from painting in anticipation of the launch of the Challenge? Don't you need to keep you fingers and eyes exercised as training for the marathon?

    Looking forward to your Biblical project very much as I may be striking out on a similar project myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the three skirmishers that I am dabbling with, but mainly will be beating cold turkey by sitting down and doing 18 months worth of accounts :(

      Delete
  4. Nice to see the new brushes all ready for use (I never get any chocolate)

    I still have some figures on the painting desk that are getting some attention but will run out in time to start the prepped stuff

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice shiny brushes my friend, I also spent time hunting fence panels and apologising to the neighbour with the cat flap when my dog followed their cats through and mayhem ensued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thor took a quick venture outside the wind blew and he decided Feck that and went back to sleep

      Delete
  6. Glad the models arrived safe and sound. I've been hoarding the bubble wrap for weeks with this task specifically in mind. Looking forward to seeing them based!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superbly wrapped and very nicely painted Lee

      Delete
  7. looking forward to plenty of French Naps in the next three months, the new brushes look the biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's going to be a very diverse mix coming from me know as I will be clearing out the lead pile and selling it off to raise some income

      Delete
  8. Looks like we all are hot to start the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really looking forward to your Biblical material and nice blog header!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I thought I would share some Yuletide cheer this year

      Delete
  10. What, no Marines? Argh! Guess I'll just have to paint my own stuff for the challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been promised them sometime this week Millsy so you and EV will soon be able to cut a dash with them

      Delete
  11. Not long now until you christen the new brushes. Enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely enjoy it Dave, its going to be fun

      Delete
  12. Glad you enjoying the books buddy.
    Library will be open as normal this week. Lol.
    Brushes look sweeeet.
    As do the froggies Andy.
    Cant wait for crimbo and my Vikings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im lucky as I dont do Crimbo and Yule is on the 21st :)

      Delete
  13. Chocolates and a fresh set of brushes...no one can hold you back now! What a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brushes before the paint challenge.
    Now that's a good idea.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just occasionally I have a bright idea, not too often mind

      Delete
  15. Looking forward to seeing your painting get produced as the challenge unfolds. Will look up those brushes, I am interested in getting some better quality brushes now and looking after them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great value but good quality and looked after will last

      Delete
  16. New brushes, what a brilliant idea. I didn't think of that and now I wish I had. This week is the lull before the storm and today I did sod all. It felt so good to lounge around like a slug in my jam jams all day and eat crisps and cheese. I need to do this more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh crisps and cheese a lovely combination, I am envious I rarley get a chance to slug it for the day

      Delete
  17. New brushes... I'll rely on the veterans to master the challenge. I hope they'll not disappoint my expectations.

    Anyway good luck, Andrew!
    I'm pleased to on a par with you.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Stefan, good luck for your challenge I shall enjoy some healthy competition.

      Delete
  18. Excellent idea, new brushes! Have you loaded them into the clips for fast reloads? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got em loaded into a hailfire Nerf gun, that should blast em away

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the pics of the brushes. I was befuddled by the Rosemary & Co site and coudn't figure out for myself which ones would be good for painting miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Subject of the year: Brushes and Fran! Stop teasing the poor fellow!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...