29 December 2013

Weekly round up 29-12-13 - Pulp-o-mizer and Challenge Day 15

I forget a lot of places I randomly discover when searching on Google for different things, or draw inspiration from fellow bloggers, but just occasionally something gets stuck in my head and I remember to actually bookmark it!! One of those sites is PULP-O_MIZER now this is a great bit of fun to play around with and if you happen to be a fan of pulp then head on over and play. Your work can be saved, printed, or turned into a whole raft of items should you so choose.

I could not resist having a little play to see what I could come up with and the idea of crazed robots from Valhalla rising to exterminate "The Badger" seemed far to tempting to resist (well in my tiny mind it did).

Why have I been dabbling into things Pulp well one can firmly square the blame on two bloggers, Mr Awdry and Mr King both seem to have a liking for this kind of thing so being naturally curious I went looking. Curses this is going to be such a distraction, I am resisting but being of a creative persuasion at times it is awfully hard. One might now find the odd item popping onto my workbench just for fun you understand .

Well its been a productive week in the Great Hall, I have spent more time with Guiness and mince pies than is good for my figure! But got a lot done both sides of the two day brush ban! Of course the week ahead also has some interruptions as well what with it being New Years Day bang in the middle of the week. Having said all that I am currently beating Kevins score by a fairly comfortable margin after yesterdays submission to Curt. I have climbed back into the top spot although I am sure Kent will reclaim that honour shortly, as Ray pointed out I have beaten his target in 15 days so things are looking good on the Badger bashing front although I am keeping a weather eye out for the sandbags.

Now of course I am going to be a victim of my own circumstances as Curt has refused to accept a revision to my target, until I hit it. So I am going to have to wait and accept the ridicule of having set a low target when I had different circumstances. Hey ho that's life and we all roll with it don't we. I also cant show any pictures yet of the latest submission as they have not been up for 24 hours yet.

What I can do though is show you what I have been up to today. Once again I have hit my stride and have advanced the first set of 12 French Infantry to the stage of final highlighting, then its just weapons and metal to finish, I have also been working the next unit , they have not progressed quite as far as I wanted today but any progression is better than none.
What did happen to day was the temptation of the Nubians got to me, so off with the six boxes I went to the kitchen sink, out came the washing up liquid and a nail brush in preparation for bath time. The wife actually thought I was going to do the washing up can you believe it!!! After a good wash and scrub and spending ten minutes trying to locate a cupboard in the kitchen that contained a tea towel, yes I really do not operate in there unless I need a cuppa and aforementioned slave is out!!! They were dried off and taken up to the man cave for a de-sprueing session.
One old ice cream tub and over 300 Nubians later it was time to get to work on the basic conversions. The limitations of the plastics meant I did not have enough Javelin/spear men to work with. Hence the pins being used as replacement weapons, after blunting with a diamond file.
With a few deft slices from a scalpel old weapons are removed hands drilled and a pin minus the head inserted ready to mount onto strips ready for priming.
Well that is the first Hail Caesar division mounted and primed ready to go, only 67 figures so should not take to long to chunk through these over the next couple of weeks.
Nubian test figure, not quite finished these are not being given the full three colour treatment most of the figures will be two colours over the black primer and the result at gaming distance is acceptable to me.

Well I do believe that is an adequate summary of the events this week and I have more than enough to keep my brushes flowing with paint. I am in a groove at the moment so will make the most of it and reload my smoking brushes.

I hope you all have a good week ahead and If you dont make it back before I wish you all A Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Regards
Loki

24 comments:

  1. You've been very busy! And yet you can still claim that I've been a distracting influence :roll:

    Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you had nothing to do with The stukasarus at all Edwin ;)

      Delete
  2. you and Kent seem to have this years comp tied up already, you are a painting machine. Its great to see you back up to full mo-jo (when not gassing yourself)
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its far too early for any long term predictions, I have a whole bunch of time out in January yet, though I will take brushes with me on my travels

      Delete
  3. The pulp-O-mizzer is great fun I can see myself wasting more than a few moments on that.

    I might have to do a "Revenge of the Detol Monster!" Cover..... Thanks for the Link.

    Looks like the Nubians are coming on and going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a few hours and will lose a few more but it is fun.

      I could not resist the Nubians, especially when Kev said they are technically more important than the Naps

      Delete
  4. What colours do you use to get the skin tones.

    I have some Sudanese and Zulus that need painting and am a bit lost as to where to start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel in this case because they are 20mm I have gone simple.
      Foundry Spearshaft 13A, followed by a heavy wash of Vallejo Umber shade wash, the a dry brush of spearshaft 13a again.

      If I was doing 28mm then it would be foundry african flesh set all the way

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the Nubians painted up. Looking very good so far Andrew! Try not to get caught in the kitchen too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only enter the kitchen when I have too Rodger its a dangerous place!!

      Delete
  6. I am strangely drawn to Pulp ... I must try this new found fangled device.there may be trouble ahead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be once you start playing it is quite addictive

      Delete
  7. Not as detailed a post as I'd come to expect from you, you're slacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Ray, I will get back to proper weekly reports shortly ;)

      Delete
  8. Looks like a lot of points for you in that icecream tub

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots I am too lazy to work it all out properly but at least 800 points

      Delete
  9. It starts harmlessly enough, a couple of additions to the painting queue, but before you know it you have dinosaurs running amok! I had forgotten about pulp-o-mizer, thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's down right dangerous in the hands of a mischief maker like myself!!!
      You really are a bad influence Mr Awdry;)

      Delete
  10. Excellent progress this week on your varied projects. Nubian test figure looks good too.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I think I am going to enjoy the Nubians, and must start purchasing some Egyptians now

      Delete
  11. 300 is a whole lot of to paint and your paints are so ORGANIZED. I have two stupid shoe boxes and the bottle I need is always at the bottom of the second box.

    I really like those Frenchman.

    Curt is a tyrannical genius with his power over so many talented painters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have laid out the new man cave very well so far I do like the fact I can see exactly what colour I am after first time rather than scrambling through a box, drawer to find things.

      Curt is a genius indeed, and I always enjoy the challenge.

      Delete
  12. Well that will keep you busy and your points total high.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not supposed to notice all the points ;)

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...