15 December 2013

Weekly round Up 15-12-13 plus Badgering and Challenge Day 1

Well the week has passed very slow--------------ly, time has dragged it's heels all week, I have spent the first half of the week slaving away. Sorting out all my accounts and paperwork, a most tiresome task and one that I sadly lack the organisational skills needed to make the whole job run smoothly. The latter half has been spent reading many blogs, listening to music, internet shopping and the dreaded ebay bargain hunting, trying to fill the time up. Why have I done this well I had thought this would be the perfect way to spend the last week before the challenge kicks off and it would get the house in order, but truth be told I think it made the week feel a lot longer and cost me a small fortune.

But today that all changed. The alarm went at 5:00 am this morning and I got up and went through my morning caveman rituals, ensuring that I did not wake the rest of the house in doing so. Several cups of tea later and I was sat at 5:55 am watching the minutes tick away till 6:01 am and then  I let loose the dogs of war, filled my water vessel and dipped my brushes into the paint and started to apply copious amounts to a whole plethora of figures, well 20 to be exact!! I began, in a flurry of excitement after staring at a veritable tide of little black figures for a couple of weeks it was nice to splash the colours.

Normally I don't take much notice of the colours I apply, as they are normally dictated by uniform illustrations, etc and are applied regimental fashion. Today however because I have done nothing but paint everything black for weeks it was a real pleasure to apply a wide range of colours to some French Indian War civilians. I have been sat at the painting desk aside from some food and liquid intake, and a quick visit to Kevs', for a good ten hours solid so far and have actually got much further than I would normally.

I am also working on a small vignette at the same time as I have been applying colour to this bunch, in an effort to tidy some of the smaller items I have on the agenda., the idea being that by working these pieces alongside what I am already working on they almost paint themselves. Or at least they get worked at the very least to a stage where I just need to dedicate an hour to completing them. So far today 19 of 20 civilians have been blocked and all the clothing is done with a first highlight, except lady in yellow who has had about 7 coats of yellow so far and that's over a cream base coat. There there is still a heck of a lot more work to do on these yet, and I am certainly rethinking one of my planned Swiss Napoleonic Regiments with yellow facings.

My mind has to remain focused on the task ahead of me as I have 3 months to hit my target, but aside from this I know Kevin is a fast painter and can whip points out like a magician can whip rabbits from a hat, I may not beat his total but I want to get the 1000 first or at least give him a run for his money. Then I have to dodge Badger the sand-bagger and his last minute points haul. Like a vampire he lurks in the background waiting for that opportune moment. The minute that you feel that you have secured your place he strikes and dumps a points haul like only he can.
However "The Badger" is sadly lacking in the above, because despite preparing miniatures he forgot to get the things to put them on !!! Hey Ray old buddy this is just a small selection of my stockpile want some perhaps you should have bought these instead of the sandbags ?

So yes while this may be a flying start for me and it may well not last, but at the moment I will take full advantage of the opportunities I have currently and crack on.

Well folks that's this week round up drawn to a conclusion have a great week ahead.

Loki

41 comments:

  1. great work, I think I put about 4 hours today but have a full day tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing these civies finished as they are looking ace with just first highlights
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt your excitement build as the clock approached 0600. Looking forward to seeing your results although I know blogging cuts down painting time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the blog so will be making the time during the day so I can keep it going.

      Delete
  3. Nice one sir, screw up his order, say the elves have on strike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice progress. I hate painting yellow! So I know exactly what you mean about 7 coats over a cream base coat. As with everyone else it will be a joy to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very quick jump off from the starting line. I have never found a yellow that covers well over white, or an off white. I have now resorted to soft yellow browns to give a nice base and make painting the lighter yellows much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only 10 hours?

    I guess I was not the only one jumping out of bed in the wee hours for a 6am start (no alarm clock needed here).

    I am closing off a 24 figure unit to follow the two submissions I sent in this afternoon LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17 before I packed in due to loss of focussing abilities

      Delete
  7. I'll make a start tomorrow.
    Been re-basing my new ecw army today.
    Suppose I should get the brushes working tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice start Andrew! I would have kept the skin colour brown! So you would have won time! :-D

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ended up starting almost 12 hours late, but have almost finished painting my first entry, which is also a bonus point jobbie.

    As for Kev, I don't care whether he is standing in a hat or not - whipping rabbits is just wrong, wrong I tell you! ;)

    I'll probably manage to get a couple more hours painting done tonight, which will be starting on another entry. I think it might just have to be my Seleucid cavalry as my nellies are very nearly finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I can only stand in awe of the speed you get through projects and they look so nice as well. Have a great Challenge

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. In the words of Mr Brewerton you snooze you lose!!! have a good challenge Seb

      Delete
  11. Flipping heck Andrew! That's an impressive start Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sir Michael, need a good week on the brushes to cover for the festivities

      Delete
  12. Whoa Andrew, you go!!! That's a lot done today and I feel your pain with the yellow. It's a bite in the arse and I generally avoid it.

    Don't help the Badger out, he's despicable. Not only will he sandbag, but when he brings out those point hauls, he'll cackle like a deranged witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont know why I went for Yellow, it was a moment of pure unadulerated lunacy!!!!

      I wont be helping old badger boy at all !!! though I do wish him well and this challenge would be diminished without the looming sandbags

      Delete
  13. I'm knee deep in flat pack.

    That's my excuse anyway - my much smaller first entry remains unfinished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great start for The Challenge; what an amount of work, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a ripping start mate. I laughed out loud at the thought of you sitting brush poised as the clock ticked down. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is Millsy I actually was mate

      Delete
  16. A massive start. I was lucky if I managed 2 hours painting on day 1.
    I better change gears.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its about the long haul though Brendon and my pace will slack off as soon as I hit some Napoleonics

      Delete
  17. I liked hearing how you have to sneak about the house early in the AM to get to your painting table. On the weekend, I have the same routine.

    10 hours is a great start. Heres to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny the things us men will do for our love of toy soldiers, and I survived and didnt wake the kids which was appreciated by the boss!!

      Delete
  18. Sounds like an excellent start!
    Good luck further on!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Andrew, I've been reading your troubles with the yellow colour on FB. I can recommend the acrylic yellow from Revell! It's very good!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter I will give this a try

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!

      Greetings
      Peter

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...