13 December 2013

The Royal Fail Strike again !!!!

Normally I am happy to let many issues in life pass me by, some affect me some dont but normally I advocate Que Sera Sera, but not where this company is concerned. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water, the management of this allegedly Royal chartered company come up with another restriction on posting that can only be described as a farce of epic proportions !!


Do you remember my post about the increasing security measures they imposed for inland mail to keep us safe and how well that went, if not refresh your memory and follow the link below:
http://napoleonicwargamingadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/danger-i-want-to-post-letter-comedy-by.html

Now straight on the back of having to rethink what actually constitutes a small parcel recently as they almost wiped themselves out of the parcels market due to the ludicrously small dimension restrictions they had in place, and back tracking to revise the sizes so they could once again be competitive. They now want to ban a small parcel that contains more than 4 dropper bottles of acrylic paint in the same box !!!

I don't know what brainstorming exercise they held for this latest lunacy but whoever agreed this should face a firing squad. I mean come on I can send a litre of whiskey in a glass bottle for here to Timbuktu with no qualms. But should I want to send 5 x 18ml bottles of acrylic paint, from here to the next town. Upon x-ray scan of the parcel it will be summarily taken away to be destroyed. What feckin idiot thought this was a good idea, I would personally like to meet them and give them something more constructive to do like jump out of a plane without a parachute.

I dont object to the parcel being made secure and ensuring the contents are tightly sealed within a bag and packed so as to avoid risk of spillage that is fair and sensible but restriction like this will kill off many of the small traders that we all in the hobby use when we cant get to a FLGS. I recently wanted to place an order with one internet based company I have used for years without any problem as the customer service is second to none but due to the restrictions he has placed the following on the site:

"The new rule is that items sent by post cannot contain more than 4 bottles of paint (or similar), and none of the bottles can be more than 150ml. This applies to both UK and international post.
Please ensure that if your order contains more than 4 bottles of paint, or any of them are over 150ml, you select a non Royal Mail method of delivery. If you don't, it will delay your order as we contact you to cancel the order or ask for payment for the alternative delivery method."
No biggie I hear you say, until I tell you that instead of £3.60 postage using Royal mail, the courier option cost £6.95 and it makes a huge difference and could effectively wipe out small businesses I immediately revised my order and at great cost as I only got half of what I needed but the increased postage cost that would be placed is a charge to far!

Please if you value your hobby then go to this link and sign the petition.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/royal-mail-lift-the-restrictions-on-shipping-water-based-paints
Of course you dont have to stop there in an effort to try and change this decision you can go to a page on The Trouble at the Mill blog of Mike Whitaker and take further action as suggested in his post.
http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/more-on-royal-mail-and-water-based.html

So I urge you all to take any course of action you feel able too, to assist this campaign as it will have a great impact to our hobby if left unchallenged.

Regards
Loki

22 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, the smallest size padded envellope with a single miniature in it from Belgium to say, The Netherlands (like, 50 kilometres from my door) costs me 8.60 euros.

    That's double for what an american pays to the same destination (a bit over a 1000 km)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tomsche, I regularly send over uninsured padded envellopes with 28mm human sized figures to europe destination but I can't recall ever having to pay €8.60. Certainly for neighbouring countries.

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty darn stupid. Mr. Whitaker successfully managed to get his MP on it from my understanding.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally stupid, indeed he has had a reply

      Delete
  4. That sounds crazy and ridiculous. I would be interested in an official answer why five bottle à 18ml are more dangerous than 4 bottles of 150ml each...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only answer they give is damage to other mail if the stuff leaks

      Delete
  5. Don´t get me started on postal Services! I had a run in with an officious Jobs worth of a Little Fecker from DHL on my doorstep yesterday..he´s lucky he aint spitting teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yip nuts, and I would guess there will be much more crazy ideas in the pipeline. We have a young lad who has just opened a small wargaming shop in Lanark just up the road. He stocks Vallejo paints and to survive he will no doubt be running an internet side to the business. God knows how this will affect his business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its another sign of managerial nonsense, and wont do either business any favours

      Delete
  7. Here in Canada, Canada Post announced Wednesday it is phasing out home delivery over the next 5 years and raising the price of a single stamp from 0.63 to $1.00 march 1st. I can hardly wait to see what the new parcel rates will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe world wide most postal services have increased charges ours are ridiculous

      Delete
  8. Signed. This is rather farcical. Someone clearly thought this was a good idea but failed to consider the ramifications.
    End result is that RM will lose business that they will not recover

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is ridiculous! Sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have made it a problem know though as it will impact retailers

      Delete
  10. I read about this last week, it really take the pi$$. Like you said it could put companies out of business. I don't usually buy paint over the internet and I certainly won't be starting now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally do as it costs me £5.00 to park the car in the city centre here so the post is a cheaper option.

      Delete
  11. Truly, you wonder how people who make these kind of decisions manage to function on a day to day basis. Have they no sense at all?!? This is exactly what the "pub test" is needed for.

    Petition signed.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...