3 December 2013

The joys of discovering lead - Challenge Preparations and books

What with the clear out for the new man cave swiftly followed by the mass preparations and priming I have been doing of late, things inevitably rise to the surface and get some much needed attention.

Yes I rediscovered these from a purchase I made at Salute on their release back in April 2012, back then the set included a limited edition warlord and was limited to 1000 sets, they were a bit of a must have impulse purchase at the time and set me back £50.00, however they will now hopefully see the light of day during the challenge if time permits and receive a lick of paint, I may sell these off afterwards as I have no need for them myself.

Further to this I was looking through a known hidey hole and found a nice stash of French Indian war figures that also need a good lick of paint, I have picked these up through this year as I have been to shows I have acquired another unit I just had no actual idea of what I had hidden away, well these are also out and ready to be cleaned and primed in the hopes of getting painted.

So as you can see I have been busy filling another draw with lead to prime and paint up, I still have a few more to clean and stick to bases yet and then they will get primed ready for the off.

I want to be more organised with the challenge this year as last year I bounced from this to that and towards the end started to lose my focus. So I have placed  nice handy countdown on the sidebar so I at least know when I can make a start and this will be replaced by a new one for the close of the challenge. I have at least been good with the spreadsheet and am remembering to update it when I prime new figures. The total number of figures prepared now is over 400 and it will be a ruddy miracle to complete that lot as its over 2000 points worth, so I can say that without doubt I can stop preparing plastic lead etc, etc.

Of course the spreadsheet in itself wont stop me from bouncing from one unit to another, in fact that is part of the plan to break up the monotony and will give me a wide variety of things to paint, and if I get on well will see some projects conclude allowing me fresh opportunities for 2014.

Now opportunities come along every now and again and some are just too good to miss out on especially if you like a bit of history and enjoy a good read. To that end I urge you to pop on over and visit fellow blogger +Edwin King's site for a chance to bag yourself a good read at a 10% discount. Just click the image below.

Well that's all for this post I will be back Wednesday with another one thanks for stopping by.

21 comments:

  1. The planning is going well sir, people are taking this quite seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to combat my failings of last year the main one was preparing everything as I went along.

      Delete
  2. 400? That's a lot of prepping!

    Thanks for the plug - the archaeology list is now up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have prep burn out :) and this is less than half of what JB has to get ready

      Delete
  3. It looks like you have a plan for the Challenge. I'm only in for 200 points and panic has already set in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every confidence in you Anne and there is no need to panic. A painter of your calibre will make 200 points

      Delete
  4. 2000pts you say that will keep you busy!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get half of this done I will be happy Christopher and it means I can continue after the challenge as I will have plenty ready to paint

      Delete
  5. About another 1000 to prep Andy and will catch up with JB. Lol.
    I want to prep. But the stuff I want to paint is in my chrissie pressies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes buddy sod that too much pressure and I already have enough on my plate as it is without adding more stress into the mix

      Delete
  6. Those are rather splendid finds and some nifty prepping too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the finds will pay off Michael they will certainly break up the monotony for me

      Delete
  7. only 400 figures, well I am not sure why you even bothered LOL

    I have prepped about 800 figures myself


    OK over 500 of these are 6mm but still ;-)

    ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to see you are prepared then Ian, I expect you to be challenging for the crown

      Delete
    2. Not a chance, my output will be down on last year. I scrapped 2000 points but this year I will be lucky to get above 1000

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Ouh... now I know why I only went for a low 400 Pts. target...
    I can't simply stand a chance against you bunch of speedpainters ^^
    None the less I prepped about 120 figures and am fine with it.
    So good luck and let the challenge begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have prepped about twice as many figures as I will paint, I just kept going without adding them up, only today did I realise just how much I have done

      Delete
  9. Wow, a spreadsheet! Now thats organisation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spreadsheet. Might be a good idea. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Scott @Brendon It's only organisation when I remember to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another well prepared participant. Good luck and much fun with the challenge !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...