16 December 2013

Challenge Day 2 - FIW and Skraelings

Well after a slow start today as I spent all morning packing boxes, I have been hard at the brushes and have almost managed to get the first group of figures completed. They are having the compulsory 24 hours drying before varnishing and will then be ready to do the basing before I can make my first submission to Curt. I always seem to take a lot longer with all the finishing touches on my work, mainly because it is at this point I work each figure individually till they are finished, belts, buttons, bags, weapons and flesh. I believe this also helps me make each one individual, as while blocking several figures may have an item of clothing in the same or similar colours the finishing stage changes the look completely. I have also been thinking about the best way for me to tackle basing during the challenge, I have not made any conclusions yet but may just base things all in one go and make a weekly submission, or go by unit completed, rather than in bits and pieces which will tie in with my spreadsheet and would make updating that easier.

Part of my plan this year is to have a roll on roll off process, at least in the beginning so as I get towards completing something, I start on the next unit so I can happily continue and always have a supply of lead to work on. I am not too worried if I keep this up and inevitably there will be occasions that I cant anyway due to what I am working on at the time. One of my minor bits of planning for the Challenge this year, I have put a nice shelf above my painting station for all the work in progress stuff to be put so as to keep my main work area clear of clutter. We will see if that works as the challenge progresses, unlike last year where I was continually fighting for room on the paint table. This system should enable me to block out several lots of figures so they are waiting in the wings.

As the first batch are almost complete I have made a start on the Skraelings for Saga, I wont be keeping these as originally intend on purchase, these will be heading straight for Ebay, unless someone reading the next few posts wants to purchase them before I do that of course. When I intended them to be part of my collection I had wanted to paint them as the seal people as featured in the film "The Eagle" the miniatures had a good similar appearance to them, and I am capable of doing the green stuff modifications some would have needed but obviously this would give them a limited sale audience, so I will be doing them as Native American Indians.

Other items worked on today include the entry fee:

I have gone with a cowboy / sheriff and added a bit of scenic stuff to the base.

A casualty vignette that required a bit more work making an arrow for the victim and drilling out a hand as to be carrying a weapon.

I also did a bit more work on the Druidic ritual scene to progress this along.
Obviously I have not stopped painting for today and will be carrying on most of this evening as my lovely wife has told me I can paint as much as I want this week because I wont be allowed in the paint room for most of next week, that is a compromise I can live with, as if I actually have a choice.

Well thats it for todays update, Thanks for reading.

41 comments:

  1. Your on a flyer buddy.
    I need to get my finger out.
    Wait till I get my Vikings at crimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always a lot of work in the final touches of the minis. Those figures are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Juan, yes this is why I start other bit to give me a break

      Delete
  3. motoring nicely - love the druid piece look forward to seeing that done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying that as a side show to the intricate stuff

      Delete
  4. WOW, roaring along nicely there. Amazed you have done all that in 2 days! I am guessing you are on your xmas hols?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not on hols Scott, could I refer you to the devil makes work for idle hands for an explanation

      Delete
  5. Phew, that's a lot of work for two days (wrll, less than). I should get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been a good couple of days so far, but it will slow as the week goes on

      Delete
  6. A good old Esci figure died here! ;-)
    Great work Andrew!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peter! yeah thanks to kevs bits box :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like a very promising start. I don't know how all you guys manage to crank out stuff in such a high rate... I only finished my first figure today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good wife who prefers me out of the way

      Delete
    2. As does mine, well most of the time...
      Seems like I'm just a particulary slow painter. Maybe it has something to do with your block-painting😃... I simply don't have the endurance to paint this way.😃

      Delete
  8. Compromises, we all know a sort of them. Nice painting Andrew. They are looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're painting at a killer pace, and great stuff to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Monty, I have to go at a lick I made a silly side challenge to beat Kev to the 1000

      Delete
  10. Really moving along there.
    Looks good and great progress.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brendon, I hope to have something fully completed and entered by Friday

      Delete
  11. its all looking fantastic Loki, I do so love your style just wish I could get that brightness in my figures. But I guess that is while its call a style.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken years for me to get this style. Every painter has their own style and way to paint which is what makes it such a good hobby

      Delete
  12. The yellow you were worried about looks good Andrew and I rather fancy that Druidic ritual scene.

    I work exactly the same way you do with multiples on the table in various stages of completion. When I get to those tiny details, I get headaches and need to have figures that aren't as far along to relieve that and keep painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That yellow was a complete bitch and my stupid fault for wanting to use yellow!!

      The druid thing is a bit of fun for the Hail Caesar table. I have to agree the devil is in the details and we need a break to refocus the mind

      Delete
  13. Good work - it is all the painting challenge on the blogosphere at the moment. Probably more lead painted in the next few months than we will see over the year following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could be right Dan the challenge tends to bring out the lead in quantity

      Delete
  14. That's an impressive start.

    I have today (Tuesday) to paint then I am out of action till Saturday so I am keen to finish something

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian, I am trying to get a good week in as I wont get much time at the table next week

      Delete
  15. A great start Andrew, I've managed to dry brush some armour so far but hopefully that will change today.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, have a good day on the brushes I for one am looking forward to some of your work

      Delete
  16. Awwww he didn't take the arrow to the knee...

    Anyway. The seal people were the first thing I thought of for the skraelings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah he was holding his stomach so it had to be there really..

      If they were staying they would so be seal people

      Delete
  17. The first pic , the paint is very fine and detailed , great paint Sir .
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vincent, that is really appreciated

      Delete
  18. An impressive work rate and output I along with everyone else am looking forward to your first entry. Really digging the "entry fee" as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint, I may pop an in progress of him later today

      Delete
  19. That is a fantastic start to the comp Andrew! Looking good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rodger, I wanted a flyer this year, I was slow off the mark last year

      Delete
  20. Wow! That's seriously impressive Andrew! Some lovely work there my good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MIchael, I have to try to beat Kev this year, as I did not live the failure down from last year!!

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...