Well after a slow start today as I spent all morning packing boxes, I have been hard at the brushes and have almost managed to get the first group of figures completed. They are having the compulsory 24 hours drying before varnishing and will then be ready to do the basing before I can make my first submission to Curt. I always seem to take a lot longer with all the finishing touches on my work, mainly because it is at this point I work each figure individually till they are finished, belts, buttons, bags, weapons and flesh. I believe this also helps me make each one individual, as while blocking several figures may have an item of clothing in the same or similar colours the finishing stage changes the look completely. I have also been thinking about the best way for me to tackle basing during the challenge, I have not made any conclusions yet but may just base things all in one go and make a weekly submission, or go by unit completed, rather than in bits and pieces which will tie in with my spreadsheet and would make updating that easier.
Part of my plan this year is to have a roll on roll off process, at least in the beginning so as I get towards completing something, I start on the next unit so I can happily continue and always have a supply of lead to work on. I am not too worried if I keep this up and inevitably there will be occasions that I cant anyway due to what I am working on at the time. One of my minor bits of planning for the Challenge this year, I have put a nice shelf above my painting station for all the work in progress stuff to be put so as to keep my main work area clear of clutter. We will see if that works as the challenge progresses, unlike last year where I was continually fighting for room on the paint table. This system should enable me to block out several lots of figures so they are waiting in the wings.
As the first batch are almost complete I have made a start on the Skraelings for Saga, I wont be keeping these as originally intend on purchase, these will be heading straight for Ebay, unless someone reading the next few posts wants to purchase them before I do that of course. When I intended them to be part of my collection I had wanted to paint them as the seal people as featured in the film "The Eagle" the miniatures had a good similar appearance to them, and I am capable of doing the green stuff modifications some would have needed but obviously this would give them a limited sale audience, so I will be doing them as Native American Indians.
Other items worked on today include the entry fee:
I have gone with a cowboy / sheriff and added a bit of scenic stuff to the base.
A casualty vignette that required a bit more work making an arrow for the victim and drilling out a hand as to be carrying a weapon.
I also did a bit more work on the Druidic ritual scene to progress this along.
Well thats it for todays update, Thanks for reading.