31 December 2013

Challenge Day 17 - Out with the old, A goold old Rant, Saxons and Nubians

Well it is the last day of 2013, so I shall begin by a quick look back at what I wanted to achieve this year.

Hmm!! I really did not do to well on the year of balancing of forces in fact quite the opposite, however I am not concerned as the year progressed some major changes to gaming were made. Out went all the rule books previously used, different rules for many periods and in came Hail Caesar and Black powder. The change this has made to our games is huge as they are so adaptable and easy to learn and play, even with all the chopping and changing of periods we do.

This lead us to changing some scales for certain periods so the balancing of armies became an obsolete issue.
On the positive side of all this I did achieve a couple of my goals for the year, to attain 100 followers and to try to post more often!! Both of which I have been fortunate enough to exceed in.

Other than this the years had its ups and downs for me personally. I have met some great bloggers personally and gained some new friends. There has been Blog con and Bloggers for charity both good projects worthy of support. The downside has seen my health dramatically suffer and forcing a change of career path. But on the whole a rather positive year. Of course I have been slightly mischevious during the course of the year as several of my posts prove out, but that is Loki. He gives and receives in equal measure. Ray and Fran have featured in several of these posts and there has been some good banter. So expect a bit more of this in the future.

Anyway enough of that old rubbish and on with the real meat and potatoes of the days events, well unsurprisingly I have not done much with the brushes today. ( I took Tamsin's great advice) Yesterday was a hard day at it completing three Nubian warbands today has been very sedentary and slow. I had to take the wife and kids shopping today and discovered the battery was fecked on the car. You know that seven seat heap of crap is supposed to be called transport!!! ( oh for a feckin rocket launcer I would it who is boss) its broken down more times this year than the wife has given me entry to the forbidden zone!! Funny how these things all start to happen days after warranties have expired!! Having got it started I managed to get us all to the supermarket, so I park up and this feckin twat parks right bang next to me at such an angle I cant open the feckin drivers door to get out. That just about confirmed that today was not going to be a good one.

Eventually I got to the paint desk to get some pictures taken of the Saxons, the best I could manage follows as really I need the morning light for pictures.

So first of the bunch is 9 unarmoured spearmen.

Then seven armoured spearmen.

This was a motley bunch 6 archers, a casualty and a bloke having a beer.

Next up was 8 unarmoured types in smurf hats with axes and swords.

Finally 10 armoured with axes and swords. this was a rather eclectic mix of figures and I tried to tie them all together with the shield colours, using a red, green and white palette. Combined with the French from yesterday that netted me 290 points towards my target, so not a bad haul.

As promised I also took a picture of one of the Nubian warbands.
Now I will make it clear these are not and were never planned to be the highest quality of my work and the figures only have a shade and highlight over the black primer, but for 20mm figures this works very well when viewed from average gaming distance. I am pleased with the result an they will look a lot better when based.

Having so little time left today to paint I decided to prepare half of the skirmisher archers for the Nubians, so mounted 4 units of 8 onto painting sticks ready to prime. I finished the bonus round entry first thing this morning ready for submission to Curt, these really are very simple pieces but for an extra 50 points towards my target could not be missed. The French unit remains untouched today, I may get an hour or so tomorrow on them.

Well all that remains is for me to wish you all A very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Regards
Loki

32 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 100 followers on your excellent blog Andrew and superb painting on the figures.
    Happy New Year,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on attaining some of your goals and very nice painting! Happy New Year Andrew!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasure to know you and Loki my friend and sorry for introducing Ray to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have to make an excuse for his presence Fran so it no problem ;) Have a great one buddy

      Delete
    2. Cheeky feckers the pair of ya!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the 100 followers - here's to you gaining more in the coming year.

    Are the Nubians hard or soft plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit wierd Tamsin being a waxy plastic fairly hard but they take the vallejo primer well and I did a test with one figure and seem to retain the paint

      Delete
  5. I hope the year ahead brings you and yours a happiness un rivalled.
    Have a good one mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clint likewise have a good one buddy

      Delete
  6. That's a great way to head into 2014! All the very best for 2014 Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ain't it the way with warranties.. Nothing wrong with painting the unit rather than individuals.. It's a really good way to get them on the table.. They can always be revisited sometime for twiddly bits.. Your brushes are smoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have had all the twiddling they are going to get, with 5 armies to paint I wanted a simple but effective solution

      Delete
  8. The troops look pretty cool Loki, I've been thinking about the 1/72 plastic figures, just for the cheapness really, your look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Ray was the whole purpose of these for cost. Most of the armies are working out around £35.00 for 300+ figures and I can see them to paint em

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Andrew! Love the Saxons, really looking smart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before I go to get bladdered I should just like to say how nice the figures look. Also, if Loki really is at the top of his game he'd make sure the git who caused the parking problem suffers from anal eczema and is force fed Vindaloo and peanuts for the rest of their natural.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Andrew! I recommend you put your feet up and tip a pint or two to celebrate your many accomplishments. I'd buy if I didn't live so damned far away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great New Year. Those Saxons look fine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Andrew - and here's something you might find useful for when some twat decides that he'll park one micron away from your car. It's always worked for me and the Good Lady Wife!

    http://www.threadless.com/product/187/I_Park_Like_an_Idiot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year mate. All the best from Oz :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Happy New Year! Superbly painted these Vikings as are the Nubians. The choice of colours is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and that bloody car, lol
    All the best for 2014.
    May your dice roll true. (Unless your opposite me that is).
    The Noobs are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New year buddy, great to see you motoring through Lead Mountain.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year! Those Saxons look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you All have a great year ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Andrew.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Andrew:
    I know this past year has been challenging for you but you came through it in fine style. It's been a pleasure seeing your work on this blog and I look forward to much more, like those awesome Saxons. Wishing you and yours all the best in 2014.
    MP

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...