28 December 2013

Challenge Day 14 - New beginnings and plans changed

Today started very well, with me receiving news of a commission for a French force for the French Indian Wars. I am particularly pleased to hear this as I have to pay the bills in January and hoped that I could obtain some commissions without being solely reliant on the EBay vehicle to achieve this. Although I tend to not have any problems selling my figures for a good price on said site. I don't even mind about the fees as having run a business, I know they have to make a profit from it or there is no point. What is nice is the simple fact that the figures required for this commission, I already more of less have and intended on painting these in the later stages of the challenge.

Now talking of the challenge, as expected I have started to slide down the table, but am still thankfully ahead of my good mate +kevatthecabin who's wife I must thank as she has slapped a painting ban on him this week as she is off work. So this gives me a bit of a cushion, although not much of one as I know when he does make a submission it will not be a small one. But it is enough for me to get more painting done in an effort to win our own little race. I have sent another entry in to widen the gap a little further though.

I have also had to re prioritise my painting order for the challenge, as when I formulated my plan for hitting my target I did not have any real commission work or indeed plans to take any on. Circumstances however have changed and therefore so have the priorities. The first thing I am doing is increasing my target and my revised target is with Curt. The increase and is to a target of more than I achieved last year, but I feel that I need to make an early adjustment that will still be a big challenge taking the new circumstances into account. I also would like be able to secure a top ten spot, having narrowly missed that last year so my revised target has also been set with that in mind.
2 units of French underway
Hopefully I will still get to complete my French Napoleonic forces during this years challenge, but they will have to take a back seat, or be worked around the more important matters of painting to earn a living for now. I did complete a unit prior to the beginning of the festivities but only submitted them today. I also have another battalion that is part way through, though they will remain in that state for now at least.

Today I started the day by painting, dry brushing and flocking the Saxons as I woke up again in the small hours, so took the opportunity to get them finished. This allowed me to make a start on the first of three French regular infantry units for muskets and Tomahawks all of which will be twelve figure units, I also have an officer and ensign to paint up for the same client. So for the next few days this is what I will be focused on completing those.
The end of a fairly productive day started blocking the next unit
Well folks that is it for today, as I am all out of completed figures to show you until Curt has had them for the statutory 24 hours.

Loki


22 comments:

  1. Your still way ahead of me buddy.
    But im sure to give you a run when i get into my stride.
    If i ever do get into it that is. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not falling for that Old chestnut!! If I take it easy you will fly past me like a feckin bullet out of a gun

      Delete
  2. Your welcome loki but hes itching to paint and im not sure i can hold him back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you're getting commissions. Not surprising given the quality of your work.

    Have you considered having your eBay seller's page as one of the tabs on the top of your blog? One of the options when creating a new page is to go to another url.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have an Ebay page set up EDwin it is down at the moment due to having nothing to sell on there.

      Delete
  4. Those white coated French are looking good, Loki. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be great getting paid for doing the thing you enjoy - painting! But then I ponder - it must be hard parting with the figures you paint, as I always get rather more attached to my own painted lead ... plus I wonder if it becomes more like a job with deadlines, does it then become stressful and less fun???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it is not going to be any different to when I was making terrain for a living only much better for my health no dust and toxic chemicals. I dont mind deadlines and will ensure that I set realistic ones

      Delete
  6. Good news about the commission, extra dosh and extra points for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, it will all help while I make a recovery

      Delete
  7. Well, can't add anything here other than best of luck with the commissions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the work. Quality like yours will always be in demand, be good with your comms , and build in a little flex time on your deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try very hard Dave, I do plan on only taking small amounts at a time, to managed a schedule more easily

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're off for another great entry for the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good t see the commissions start, having seen your work first hand I know the client will be very happy

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plans always change and good here your getting some work.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Starting a day with pinting figures is really a good start.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...