18 November 2013

Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have an announcement to make!!!

Yes it is that time of year again when Curt throws down the gauntlet and challenges us all to put some effort into our hobby over three cruel winter months. Flogging away like mad men and women with our brushes for the sheer HELL fun of it all.


This year hope springs eternal for me, as I enjoy the level of focus this challenge brings. However I stand no real chance of winning, there are far quicker painters than me out there. So why would anyone enter a competition they cant win. Well its all about the sense of community for me, with plenty of banter and friendly rivalries as I battle in vain try to beat Kev. While remaining focussed over the three months of hard painting that lay ahead. I have my own target that I want to achieve, and I would like to better my result from last year, as with 1274 points I got beat back to 11th place in the dying hours. However I also suffered severe paint burn out last year so am going to be a touch more cautious in my declared points and will aim for a respectable 1000 points so I don't over do it.

This year the competition has some themes, that we can gain bonus points for entering, and I have some ideas for several of these fortnightly themes, though not all I can feel some internet based shopping and research coming to complete these. I will be mainly focussed on my French and Allied Napoleonic forces amongst other things and have already started preparing for the start, there is a new page on the blog to help keep me focussed on my targets for the months ahead and the next few posts will see me completing all the works in progress on my workbench so I start with a clean slate.
Final preparations underway a table full of 20mm Ancient Britons.

Of course the one thing we all have to watch out for is "The Badger in Budgie Smugglers" and his last minute army of sandbags!! Yes those of you who have followed this event in the past few years will know I am talking about +Ray Rousell and his knack of dumping large volumes of figures at the last minute. Have you noticed how quiet his blog has been on the painting front, as he no doubt has secretly been storing figures.

So I urge you all to click the image above and be transported to Curts' site where you can follow the shenanigans as they unfold.

45 comments:

  1. Yeah, - time to knobble the badger in budgie smugglers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you suggesting about my good friend Ray? I'm shocked...shocked I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nice to give him some grief adds to the fun :)

      Delete
  3. nice looking new paint desk, I think you will be producing some stunning Nap figures for us all to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my main focus this year, to complete 10 battalions of French

      Delete
  4. I am looking forward to your Napoleonic forces and the other entries for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I shall try not to disappoint

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Off to nick me a mini gun, should slow him down a bit ;)

      Delete
  6. I enter for all the same reasons as you do Andrew and I'm really looking forward to competition! It's becoming tradition.:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has become something I look forward to now and really helps during the winter to occupy the long days

      Delete
  7. Don't know what your on about?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is not misunderstood by any means Michael

      Delete
  8. Brushes at the ready buddy.
    I myself will be a lot more reserved with the target this year as I wont be painting overvthe Christmas holidays.
    I wont be painting any 54mm either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could take 2 months off at the speed you paint and still beat me :)

      Delete
  9. It's all about the community - really keeps me painting over the winter months. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is about the community, I enjoyed that last year

      Delete
  10. Hi Andrew,

    Good luck in the Challenge!
    we will have great moments at the paint desk!

    Cheers

    thefrenchjester

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing your Naps. Like you I'll never set any records but it's more about the banter and the mates than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to agree with you mate its all about the taking part, rather than the winning

      Delete
  12. Looking forward for a good rummage among the pile to find some bits and pieces for the bonus rounds, should prove to be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will produce some amazing vignettes again that will make me smile

      Delete
  13. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the challenge.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the excitement is already starting to mount. Good look mate, you may not win the crown of points but your quality always provides a great deal of pleasure

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian, I too am getting excited about the months ahead, and the completion of my French Infantry

      Delete
  15. Good luck with the competition. I haven't got the self discipline for these gang-bang painting exercises, but Im always interested in what people can churn out en masse. It's amazing.

    Very tidy painting desk, but it's not natural. Can we see another photograph at the end of the month? ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My OCD keeps the desk and everything around it tidy though it usually has a lot more painted or part painted stuff on it !

      Delete
  16. I love the preparation photo! Awesome! I look forward to seeing your entries Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt, I have a lot more prepared and tucked away in boxes to keep the room tidy, one of the conditions SWMBO imposed

      Delete
  17. Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brendon, I shall try not to dissappoint

      Delete
  18. Bets of luck Loki... oh and if you can manage it, try and hide Rays brushes... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott, I will need it - I doubt even hiding rays brushes would stop him.

      Delete
  19. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your "slow painting" goal is still almost twice mine. This should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to declare 750 points, but that is almost half last years score so felt I had to push it to 1000

      Delete
  20. 1.000 pts is a ambitious task. I'm not sure whether I would be able to afford it since I'm a really slow painter...

    Anyway good luck and have fun with the challenge !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is ambitious but I had to push it a little from my original to make it a challenge

      Delete
  21. Thank you Rodger, I will give it my best shot

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you're ready to rock Andrew. I am still struggling with how many points. Right now I'm digging out all my old stuff. 28mm lead and plastic, some still in box. 54mm WWII soldiers in a plastic pitcher, tons of 1/72 in boxes. My head is spinning. And I have no idea where to start on the entry figure.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...