25 October 2013

Fiasco and a new Man Cave!!

So Tuesday morning long standing pain in the arse friend Kevin rings and once again attempts to talk me into taking a trip to Fiasco wargames show in Leeds. Casually dropping a large hint that he will have sculpted the horses for another good friend Martin at Warbases. Now I had no plans to go to Leeds in fact I should really have been travelling south to take the kids to see the grandparents in London and politely had to refuse the offer.

Then I started my working day assembling what I can only describe as the largest order of bocage  I have ever had, this caused me to completely go out of stock of bases and with a shortfall for the order to boot. So I had to ring Martin and place an order to get me out of jail and complete the order. Now to collect the bases as quickly as possible, I ended up volunteering to help out at Fiasco for the day as I could collect the order.

This of course then led me to having to return Kev's call and tell him to ensure he had the Horses finished, as we would both be going to Fiasco, but as he needed me to take him he would have to get prepared for an early start as I would be helping Martin for the day. Telling Kev he needs to be ready to leave home at 6.30am on a Sunday morning is always fun.

Anyone who has read this blog for a while will know that my current painting facilities are sited in an old Pantry cupboard, leading off our front room. Not an ideal location as it is very cramped at the best of times and as the family is growing it often means I cant paint in any form of peace and quiet in the main room of the house.
When I started the blog this was my hobby space not exactly large but adequate providing I did not need to paint too many figures in one go.
I made some modest improvements as time progressed to enable me too be a bit more productive, but this still left me with zero space in reality to store work in progress or those figures that were completed.
I managed to expand upwards but it became more cramped, combined with a growing waistline I only fit half in and out of the cupboard to paint as I can't sit inside any more.

After several lengthy debates with the wife it has finally been agreed that I may convert the small upstairs bedroom into an office / painting cave of my own. On the proviso, that all my bits that are stored throughout the house are located in the one room thus giving back space that is needed for other uses. Needless to say I don't have a problem with that proviso or any other that may follow at all, and really count myself lucky as I finally get a window!!!

This project will be a carefully planned move as I want to ensure I keep the wife happy and the room really will work for me. I will document the progress on the blog as I go along.

37 comments:

  1. Congratulations on moving up to a new painting abode! For me, it really helps to have the hobby activities sequestered from the familial activities.

    Good luck in fitting-out your new domain.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The separation from the boys will be most welcome, they have got a lot noisier as they have grown

      Delete
  2. Congrats on scoring the bigger work space Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger, although I am sure it will look smaller once I start to fill it

      Delete
  3. Great news about the man cave! See you at Fiasco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to it, I will be at warbases

      Delete
  4. Keeping the wife happy is the most difficult part in this :D Wish you luck with moving your mancave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do expect several interjections and side tasks that have not been mentioned at this point for such a gesture

      Delete
  5. Nice to hear about the expansion big guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Nice move and a real improvement in the scenery ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seb, it will be nice to look out of the window thats for sure

      Delete
  7. Good luck, and keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmmm . . .. I have to use one of those old hospital tables which went over tte bed. I have to stow it away between sessions. I'm deeply envious :O(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubts the wife has a hidden agenda

      Delete
  9. Excellent more space...which will soon be filled! It will make everything much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So you finally plan to come out of the cupboard eh? ;-)

    Looks a great room for your plans

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the room. It's great to have a space for the hobby. I had first typed a lot more here and then realized that I should just put the post on my blog as that's what this had become. So congratulations and I hope you and Kev have a great drive down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look out for the post, I am sure me and Kev will a good day

      Delete
  12. Congrats on the move. You must be a keen negotiator! And I do love the "bench" for your paints. I really need to do something like that for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she has some hidden plans, not yet mentioned but having been married for this long I know there is going to be some cost to this venture

      Delete
  13. Fantastic to see you pimping your Man Cave. You'll love the difference with natural light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is not too bad in the cupboard thanks too several daylight lamps but it will be a big improvement on quality of the environment

      Delete
  14. Hoorah! Lucky you. Looking forward to seeing the new mancave unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. I do actually feel lucky and it will certainly be a big benefit to me

      Delete
  16. Always good having a dedicated man-space, and if you can keep wifey-poos happy at the same time, thats a bonus!
    PS i know what you mean about expanding waistlines ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, keeping the wifey happy is the crucial part of the whole plan

      Delete
  17. Awesome news on the man cave. I have sort of taken over a loft and, fortunately, my wife is pretty understanding about its slovenly state. That will change as we get closer to Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you, I have to make do with the kitchen breakfast bar!

    Congratulations on your dedicated hobby space - please note that I avoid the obvious temptation and make no reference to anyone finally coming out of the... erm... pantry!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on the new hobby room! I have a hobby room where I keep my figures,books, table and terrain, and where I do my gaming but I also have a painting closet similar to yours albeit much roomier in the living room where I actually do my painting. My wife actually insisted on it or she said she would never see me!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good news! Take your time to install the new room! That's what I'm doing here at home!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  21. Result! A whole room,,,you lucky devil. I'd have to kick the kids out before I get anywhere near a room of my own.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...