30 September 2013

Not Derby ends in a wet T shirt Contest!!

I have had a rather busy weekend at Donnington Park which is in Leicestershire and not Derbyshire however this is the new location for the Derby world wargames show. In its 2nd year at the new location I had hoped the experience would have been an improvement on the 1st year however, the events dire location, and quite possibly its timing this year really did impact on the experience. It is not within easy reach for many and to be honest this year was very lack lustre and bloody cold inside the main hall. Combine that with holding such an event the weekend before most of the UK populous obtain their monthly salaries. The constant drone of high performance cars thundering down the straight and braking heavily on the curve where the venue is located and booming exhausts as they then floor the accelerators upon exit, while in between that jets on the nearby runway fire up their engines as they are about to take off and you have a tinnitus sufferers delight.  So In my opinion all these things combine to become an issue.

Saturday saw a steady flow of customers, but certainly did not make me break into a sweat trying to cope with demand. More like a dripping tap, customers came along in a fairly consistent pattern. The bonus to this is I had plenty of time to pick up supplies and have a peruse at the show in general. I rarely get time to visit any part of the shows I help out at ordinarily. I did have time to have a chat to Tamsin (Wargaming Girl), having missed the opportunity earlier this year at Salute so I was glad that I could put a face to the blog at last, and hope to see her at Blog con. While on one of my missions to source a miniature I bumped into Ian (Blog with no name) thanks to his eagle eyes he was able to point me rather vaguely in the direction of a miniature he had seen earlier based on our conversation, and after about 15 minutes I stumbled upon the perfect figure for a future project. The next blogger I had the pleasure to meet was Pete (Panzerkaput) and had plenty of time for a very good chat and of course to persuade this fine gentleman to use his excellent art skills to produce something for Bloggers For Charity and I didn't even have to get me axe out from behind the counter to aid the persuasion.

On the subject of Bloggers For Charity I did of course spend a fair chunk of time on both days with Andrew at AW Miniatures. Handing over the newly painted displays for him to use at shows and of course to discuss the sculpting requirements for the charity game and collection of the majority of the lead for the painters to be able to make a start. Anyone wanting Indians will have to wait a while longer as Andrew is having a new set of moulds made for these figures due to a major problem with the original moulds. While this is an issue, it is an understandable one. Currently the figures require hours of work to get them into a position that you can apply undercoat to them. Further to this we need companies Franches de la Marine which also need to be sculpted so again currently not available.

Sunday, I picked Kevin up just after 7am for the return to the venue after a rather poor nights sleep, and my fellow traders feeling the same it was a groggy start for us all. However we had a rather far too relaxed day, the type of day that you really don't want if you are running a business. We were not alone in this with many traders having had a disappointing weekends trading. Things were that bad that at 1pm discussions were being had about packing the van and heading home. Bearing in mind there were still 3 hours before the show closed and you can understand the problem.  We held on for another hour but at 2pm many of the traders had decided to call it a day and therefore started to shut up shop. We had packed the entire stand away by just after 3pm and headed off home.

The trip home proved to be quiet eventful as both myself and Kevin had a mouth as dry as Gandhi's flip flops so decided to stop at McDonald's for a coffee. Having handed over the money, Kev began stuffing his face with a quick bag of fries, while I was handed two scolding hot cups of coffee. The coffee was so hot I hadn't noticed the flimsy condition of the paper containers and applied rather too much pressure to them ejecting boiling coffee all over me, the counter and floor. I made quite a bloody mess and was completely drenched and had burnt both arms into the bargain. Still they replaced the coffees and soon started the clean up. I had to remove my shirt not a pretty site but I had a spare one to save embarrassment.





14 comments:

  1. I've just done my first "Derby" post of the week, but forgot in my review of the venue to mention what a pain in the 'arris it is to get there - even our cabbies who go there regularly were getting lost finding the right place within the park, so I imagine for traders and others it must have been very frustrating.

    It was good to meet you and Kev and hopefully we'll meet again soon (I will have to decide nearer the time if I can or can't make Blog Con). Sorry to hear about the coffee scalding on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, with Tamsin's comment, that's the third negative review of the venue I've read. If it was affecting the trade stalls, I imagine the organisers will have to take it seriously. A shame. But I'm glad to hear that you were able to meet people.

    Sue Maccy-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a two day show because of the championships so they organisers wont change a thing, they actually believed they had done well this year

      Delete
  3. Didn't sound like you had the best of weekends? Especially the Maccy D's incident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets put it this way if I am not working there next year I wont be visiting

      Delete
  4. Do you guys sometimes find that the smaller shows are more enjoyable?

    I saw that PK was going to do some artwork for you guys. That's sure to be nice as he's such a talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy some smaller shows, some though are rather a waste of effort.

      Yes its great PK is doing a little something for BFC

      Delete
  5. I think a bad knee was by far the better deal! I thought the show was rumoured to be on the up - I'll give it a swerve (geddit? Swerve - Donnington Park?).

    As Edwin says, sue McDonalds! You've got a witness. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Careful with the coffee Andrew!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I couldn't hold my drink, the fries were nice though.
    You summed up the show spot on bud

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard more less than positive feedback about the show than good, glad you didn't burn anything vital!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pleasure was all mine old bean and I enjoyed our little chat. I have am idea for the banner and not it is time for me for get it on paper.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...