17 September 2013

Expanding on an Idea

I have not been painting for a while as my attention has been on getting James table completed as part of our community currency deal. However whilst I have been busy on James table I have also had some time to continue development of a couple of products.

I wanted to expand the range of flexible terrain products, I have been experimenting with these for a long time, but despite my best efforts I could not get the right combination of materials to achieve everything I wanted. I am well known in my local haberdashery store having bought many samples of cloth with which to experiment. Unlike the roads larger items need a heavier backing to deal with the shrinkage that occurs with the top compound applied.

So armed with yet another batch of material, I set about another trial and this time the results worked a treat.

So my first experiment was for ploughed fields, the idea being that these needed to be durable and easier to produce in random shapes and heavy enough to conform to differing contours if needed.

Like the ploughed field I also wanted to create areas of broken ground that can be scattered onto a table top an again be flexible and heavy enough to work on sloped surfaces. I think this works quite well and hopefully looks effective enough.

The last thing I wanted to achieve from this test was a successful flexible river section, this has eluded me for the last two years. The problem has always come with the finishing of the water and being able to get a flexible glossy surface. I have tried and failed with more products than I care to think of trying to perfect these in the past. However I was experimenting with a couple of unlikely products on a completely un related project, and having spilt some of the mixture without realising it I discovered the next day it had dried with a good sheen and was clear. I therefore decided to slap some on the river and hoped it would adhere and give me the end result I needed.

I am pleased to report it worked, what is also good is the backing material is available in a large enough width for me to be able to make many different river widths. Okay so this material is a bit more expensive than my usual road cloth but it is far stronger and therefore much more durable.

I am now thinking about other possible items that can be made in this format.

27 comments:

  1. I like the absence of warping or stiffening. ARe you going to share the secret(s) with us?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unlikely that I will reveal all details after all my time and effort, and as this is related to my business to which it would have a negative impact on sales if I did.

      Delete
  2. How much would you charge for these? They look great. I can see ordering some plowed fields. Also what would be postage to the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to work out the costings for these, but they are likely to range between £2 and £4 each. The good thing is they weigh less than those that I have traditionally produced on MDF and therefore shipping should be at a better cost. I will nail down some costs for you.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting products. I have added them to my list. I like a lot those fields; really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good Andy, love the ploughed field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. I hate blue rivers but it does provide a good contrast for testing.

      Delete
  5. Sod the new fields I see a stunning looking wargames table under them :)
    well the new bits look good too
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get a bit of a sneak preview Thursday evening as I am just writing part one of the build :)

      Delete
  6. I can almost hear you yelling out "Mr. Watson, come here...I've spilt something and it's working out quite well!"

    Congrats and the new stuff looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fun part was trying to remember what mix I had spilt. Fortunately I only made two home brews the day before so tracking down the candidates was easy

      Delete
  7. Great ideas here Andrew and very much something gamers can use. I don't blame you for not revealing the secret as it pertains to earning an income from you work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true Anne, If I gave all the info away there would be no future in my terrain making business

      Delete
  8. Very nice work Andrew! They really do bend well to the terrain.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do the bend well they store away nicely too and take up less space.

      Delete
  9. Superb finish Andrew. They look awesome.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look simply great. I love this kind of practical terrain, so I´ll keep an eye on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have also just visited your blog very nice work indeed

      Delete
  11. Woohoo, love these.
    We need some here buddy.
    But !!
    You painted the river Blue ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may get some or not depending on my mood :P

      Yes a blue river, the contrast from blue works for testing, as you know I hate blue water in the wrong setting.

      Delete
  12. Interesting ideas, I like the look of the broken ground particularly. Good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnkss I was most pleased with how that turned out.

      Delete
  13. The ploughed field is a winner for me, lovely work Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent work Andrew! An order is being drafted as I write this...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...