19 September 2013

Bloggers Community Currency table build ( Part 1 )

Before we begin  go and make a brew and grab some biscuits this is should be a good read.

So as you may be aware myself an James 'GI' Brewerton did a deal using the community currency idea so we would both benefit. I received a very nice Irish war band for Saga, which would also work for some Dux B as well so doubly happy.

James requested I build him a 4 Ft x 4 Ft table, that was composed of two 4 Ft x 2 Ft sections. His only stipulation was he did not want a billiard table. So here is how it was constructed and the end result.

Step one: Sketch out a rough design so you can see what you want to achieve, I have enough experience to do this directly onto the boards I am using. For a first time builder I would recommend paper and pencil as the design gets buried under the work in progress.
Now in the sketching phase I wanted the boards to work on both long edges with each other thus giving James two layouts from his boards. I also wanted there to be some features to the design, which in turn impacts on the build process and you have to make sure the boards will work how you need them to refining measurements as needed

Step two: Using some 28 mm x 18 mm battens I began the process of framing the boards.
 Using glue and clamps as well as a nailer I affixed all the battens to create the outer frame.
Once the initial perimeter was built it was time to increase the perimeter height at certain points to allow me to build up the terrain features. Again Clamps, Glue and screws are used to fix these in place.
After 4 hours of cutting, drilling, and fine tuning (that's what the hammer is for). The assembly was left overnight for all the glue to dry fully before I started to build up the terrain.

Step three: This is were the terrain really starts to come to life, Firstly the frames are infilled with styrene and built to the basic shape required. then all the featured are cut and sanded to their final shapes.

The features are then given a nice plaster overcoat that is approx 3mm thick, the main points to check are the board alignments. In the case of these boards its the river and lower faces of the hills. So after another 4 hours again we have to take a break overnight for the plaster to dry out.
The river is coated in acrylic paste and smoothed to a semi finish.

Step four: Lots of work with both an electric sander and hand sanding to get the plaster surface fairly smooth in order to apply the texturing.

The coarse textures are added first then the finer sand spread over the top, working as quickly as possible but without rushing.

So thats the boards textured, you will notice the river is texture free, that comes later and the white patches on the slopes are rock features. This all needs a good few hours to dry so I normally leave this overnight.

Step 5: Base coating the boards. Taking a very dark brown I now cover the previously applied texture. I can hear you ask why I dont use sandtex paint the answer is simple, for my taste it is not as good as putting in the hard work to achieve a better finished result.
I also put a base coat on the rock features and set the boards aside to dry, in good weather 4 hours is normal in this case it took 12 hours for it to fully dry.

Step 6: Dry brush the boards up, using two progressively lighter shades of brown.

Step seven: Tedious to say the least but it has to be done.

Start picking out the large stones and working them up to the finished state by dry brushing several lighter shades. This does take an age but worth it in the end.

That is it for part 1 as you can see a lot of work has to be put into things you will never see again to get everything to look right when finished. I hope to have Part 2 ready for tomorrow or Saturday evening.



24 comments:

  1. Nice, very nice...the ground is really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. You almost make me want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That board is shaping up really nicely. I'm so tempted to try building some 3d boards when I get the cave up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of good work Andrew, especially the hammer work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. where do you think we are going to play our Dux B and SAGA :)

      Delete
  6. Dam I have to wait till Sunday to get my hands on this, it looks stunning and I am a very happy man.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's looking quite excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the Master of Terrain, and boards. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent tutorial Andrew. Thank you, not that I have the wherewithall to do one myself

    ReplyDelete
  10. And he gets all of that for a few leads? I'd have probably sold a kidney for that! Cracking work!

    (BTW, the kidney wouldn't have been one of mine . . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous stuff mate. Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your timing is perfect. I'm at a bit of an impasse on how to proceed with my board so I'm really looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got a really nice set up for carpentry work there. It's coming together beautifully and I know there will be many a fine game played on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all, this has been a nice build actually, the best part is yet to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that currency idea...

    But besides the concept the table looks excellent. I'm looking forward to see pictures of the finished piece.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very, very, very nice indeed.
    Now paint some bleedin Celts...heehee..

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...