14 August 2013

I've been painting again

Having carried on with the painting after my long break from the table. I have been rather busy, a trip with the brushes back into one of my favourite periods. The Dark Ages I have a small commission of 42 Saxons to paint up for a customer who I previously did a lot of Vikings.
The Saxons are all mounted and primed, and split into manageable groups. They will be worked in a new production line method that allows me a bit of variety as I go. I also have some chariots under construction and in various stages of primingg. Yes I am stepping back in history for a new project, and into the British Iron Age, Kev and I have decided to start playing ancients again. Fortunately he had a lot of figures for just such an event, I have agreed to paint the Britons, while Kev will be doing Romans this project will be done at 20mm (1/72nd) scale.

So the weekend produced my first unit of chariots, I shall be basing up once I have completed all the chariots I require for the project.

28 comments:

  1. These all look very lovely, especially the chariots; I see that you have gone all dynamic on us with your layout too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dynamic may be short lived its not really doing what I need

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Loki! Dynamic view, why???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im trying something out at the moment Ray although I may be changing back in short order as its not able to do what I want it to do....

      Delete
    2. For once I agree with Ray but lovely work and I've just opened my box of 2000AD goodness!

      Delete
    3. You have to give these things a try though Fran, you never know it may just work. Glad you got the figures.

      Delete
  3. love the chariots interesting to see that the 20mm stuff is exactly the same style look as the old 28mm stuff they used to produce. I might have to look at this size again some day
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a bit easier one my eyes than 15mm which I really struggle with at the moment

      Delete
  4. Nice chariots. Looking forward to seeing more of the Saxons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, the Saxons will make an appearance in about a week

      Delete
  5. Wonderful painting on those chariots Andrew they look superb! Who makes those chariots btw please?

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris they are Newline 20mm,1/72 range

      Delete
    2. They are very nice and helped along quite a bit by your lovely painting!

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. Thank you Christopher,I have a lot of them to paint up for the full army, but for now I just need to get two units and a sub commander painted so 7 chariots in total.

      Delete
  6. Lovely 20mm Newline chariots! What rules will you be using?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff Andrew. I'm surprised that you went "damnamic" but you've been pretty successful in customizing the look. I still feel the old one was better though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post to explain the decision coming up

      Delete
  8. Great stuff Andrew! I'd be interested to know what production line technique you employ and how you find it goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not a real production line as such, I work a group until almost complete and then start the base colours on the next, then back to the first batch for some work, switch to second and start adding midtones , onto the next batch apply base and rotate through until completed.

      Delete
  9. Love the chariots mate. You'd hardly know they are smaller scale. Looking forward to seeing them finished...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...