21 August 2013

Hail Caesar Britannia - a review

Britannia a Hail Caesar supplement.


This supplement is dedicated to Romes invasion of Britain but at £17.50 it has a hefty price tag for what you get.  So what do you get for your hard earned ? In truth very little and I certainly would not have purchased this normally, but I am a bit of a rules collector, so I had to have this (see how they got me!!). This book offers Army lists for the two factions but as they are in the main rule book these are in fact redundant.

Now not to knock anybody especially the author as clearly a lot of work went into the book. There is a potted history of the Roman invasion and some recommended reading for the budding historian. In my opinion not enough though and I get the impression from the reading, the author had plenty more he could have added. I suspect it got chopped down in editing and publishing. The eye candy is a bit of a let down you will have seen most of the images before as very little in the way of new ones have been used for this supplement.

So what else do you get, well two rather nice campaign systems. These do make the book from a gamers perspective. One of which is map based the other a narrative campaign. The former has good clear notes and guidance on army composition for both sides, with flexibility to go large, by increasing both armies in proportion. There are useful notes on the terrain that you should deploy on the table to represent the area of conflict. The narrative Campaign is a series of 6 games that can be played either as a full campaign, 2 mini campaigns or as stand alone games. Hill forts are introduced here, and the rules for them are also included. For both campaigns the most mystical of figures are added into the game at some point and the Britons may use Druids on occasion to bolster the forces.

Summing up, for a newcomer to the hobby this is well presented and easy to follow and will get you gaming a period you may not be familiar with in double quick time. For the seasoned gamer in my opinion this does not warrant the cash as you will be able to figure out armies for yourselves and game quite well without it, and would be one to pick up 2nd hand.

I am not going to recommend this one to the masses as it is in my opinion overpriced for what you get, after all this is not a regular supplement for a large time span and therefore it only scores 5/10.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I'll still pick this up at some stage, the rules for hill forts sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are but for me the price is high!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Andrew for the advice I'll pick up a copy when it's offered on sale.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew. I will keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that Andrew, good to know; interestingly if I was going to look at the period this would have been where I might have plumped for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed that the books seem to be relatively expensive and if you're going to spend that much money you expect it to be really good.

    A fair review by you I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont mind the price for a normal supplement, you get value for money, this one however is half the size and IMHO not that good a price .

      I will always try to be honest in a review, as it is important to me.

      Delete
  6. "For the seasoned gamer in my opinion this does not warrant the cash as you will be able to figure out armies for yourselves"

    This is what I was going to say about Last Argument of Kings, but everyone seemed to be having such a nice time with it. Yes, I know I'm cynical, but you can tell the pedigree of Warlord by the top dollar figure prices and what's likely to become a plethora of rule supplements. There's enough material in print for all the Warlord periods for even a trained chimp to be able to put together historically accurate armies. These aren't the rules for tournament play so why bother with apparently 'approved' army lists/troop types? Who's going to argue? (Everybody argues about army lists anyway!)

    O.K. soapbox away now . . .

    ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In part I agree, however unlike Last Argument which offers some rule amendments etc. This is one focusses on too small a section of history and does not offer enough for the price tag compared to their normal supplements.

      Delete
  7. Nice to get an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still considering getting hold of it at some stage. But I will lower my expectations based on this review. so thanks.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good review Andrew. Clear and honest. If I ever decide to go down the ancients route (gulp!) I would prob opt for Hail Caeser but probably more the Gauls... Probably because I was an Asterix fan as a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...