19 August 2013

Dynamic in the ditch

My Trial of Dynamic views is over, for me it was a personal trial, and I thank you all for the feedback. For the foreseeable future I will be returning the blog back to its previous format.

I decided to end the trial while I was away, as their are some compatibility issues that I could not resolve. While away I purposely did not take my lap top and relied on access via a couple of different tablets and an I pad. This exposed some big formatting issues with the dynamic views, and I experienced the bad waiting time for the blog to load images that many of you had mentioned.

I was happy with the level of customisation I had been able to place on the dynamic view, and I did like the simplistic streamlining of all the information although this took an enormous amount of time and a lot of custom coding which I learnt the hard way is a fine art when messing with the dynamic templates.

Blogging is a very personal thing and its all down to the Authors personal choice to a degree. That said for me it is far more important to share and record what I am doing and I want the readers of the blog to enjoy the visit as much as I enjoy publishing it. I don't want them to struggle to find things or wait an age for it to load. Obviously I don't have a problem with content as many of you have said that is the major reason for your visits. Therefore I want to have that content in a format everyone is happy with including me.

Page count had increased significantly but as I said before statistics are and never will be my focal point. So they don't factor into the decision.  Dynamic views may be the new kid on the block but they have limited functionality, and in my experience this block is not quite ready for it. What really matters is ease of use and that we all enjoy the visit.

So its out with the new and in with the old. Thank you all for the assistance it made my decision a lot easier.

14 comments:

  1. As I said before my friend, here for the content but I understand the changes and reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit I prefer the more traditional blog views and appearances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess that I'm not sorry to see it go, I like the freedom to browse at will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that I prefer the classic format; dynamic view's advantages are outweighed by the loading times and bugginess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Francis, Scott, Michael and Tamsin thank you all, I have to admit the limited options available if you switch to dynamic are what did it for me and when you combine that with viewing compatibility on different devices it makes no sense to use a good but damaged system. I feel it has a lot to offer if they can improve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your choice and prefer this version as it's just so much easier to view.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dynamic views get a lot of praise. However, as a heavy (let me repeat, heavy) user if my iPhone for most of my blog reading - dynamic view is no good. So I'm HAPOY you're going back.

    That all said. I've stopped complaining about the dynamic thing because each blogger has to be happy with what they're doing, so if it helps their mission, then go for it. I'm not paying for their content so I don't have much say in the matter.

    As was said earlier, I just want to to see what people are up to and good content. I'll figure out how to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaay The Great Hall is back...nuff said..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back from my holidays, and indeed I too think dynamic view is not my thing. I reckon I use it at the moment, but as soon as I'm fully operational in my new house, I'll switch back to my former look.

    Cheers

    Seb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep - i do find DV frustrating it , so glad you are back to something i can read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer this view. Am I a classic?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Christopher, Rodger, Itinerant, Kev, Seb, Dave and Juan.
    Glad you like the new old version. I shall notbe tempted by the dark side unless it gets seriously improved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray! Just because something is new doesn't mean it's better. Sometimes solid, reliable and workmanlike is exactly what is required. Just ask my wife...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...