One thing we talked about a lot was the ground scale and playing some bigger games. Now this was always going to be an has been an issue regardless of the rule set we used,due to limited gaming space and because we wanted to do this in our familiar 28mm scale. With Black Powder complicated mathematics is not needed to make the games larger and increase the perceived ground scale. However cost was a big consideration in our solution going forwards.
I have chosen to publish all the findings and work we have put into this to make it possible to fight larger battles on a smaller table and share it with the wider community. Please note they are in no way official amendments and no challenge is intended to the original work.
We decided that we would need to be a bit radical in our thinking, by modern standards. Firstly we chose to halve all the measurements as a starting point, this instantly gave us a larger ground scale, this effectively increases Kev's 6Ft x 5Ft table to an equivalent of a 12Ft x 10Ft table and my 8Ft x 6Ft becomes a 16Ft x 12Ft equivalent. The next issue was basing we knew we would not be able to avoid some major changes and we would be better off changing our basing, but we also wanted to be able to retain a system that would work for occasional games of General de Brigade.
After much deliberation and a few experiments we finally worked out a basing system that works for us. We know it won't suit everyone but then again we don't have to worry about that as we now play as a small group of four friends and only have to please ourselves. So what did we decide upon, well we took an extreme approach to solve this. We settled on using 40mm x 40mm bases with 4 figures to a base for all our Infantry units. We decided that our standard sized units would be three bases (12 figures), Large units would be four bases (16 figs), small units would be 2 bases (8 figures) and tiny units would be a single base ( 4 figures).For our cavalry we adopted the same frontage with a depth as required for the horses but using 2 mounted figures to a base. All our Artillery would be a single gun and 4 crew on a 60mm wide x 80mm deep base. This looks much better and fits in nicely with our new ground scales. It has the added bonus of us being able to afford to move into other periods and increase what we already have without breaking the bank. So for us a win / win situation. You will see how these units look en-masse in an upcoming post.
All this minor tinkering, meant that work had to be done on the Playsheet and the QRS to ensure we can refer to them in play without having to work out our reduced moves and ranges. Here is what I came up with these are completely unofficial amended playsheets, the QRS has been expanded to cover the situations with squares. I am hoping I got the procedure for sharing documents correct, and you should be able to CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW to view the PDF's. If it does not work please contact me and let me know.