8 July 2013

Standing stones

I spent the last couple of days last week moving my workshop and gaming areas around, nearly killed me in the heat but the job is done. While I did that it gave me an opportunity to sort out my terrain and organise a to do list. I was looking through my Saga terrain, and realised that I had not got something that I considered to be important. Last year I made both Kelly and Craig a stone circle each but had neglected to make one for my self.
I took some offcuts of dense styrene and carved and shaped them into different sizes and shapes.
I decided to create a couple of variations one being a carved circle with a group of standing stones, the other is a typical henge with alter stone,  I will create a third one as I have a few extra carved chunks that I have not used.
After carving the pieces these were all coated in a good covering of PVA this seals the styrene and stiffens the whole structure, also it seems to aid the painting compared to trying to paint the styrene directly. Then they were glued directly to a 3mm mdf base board which I cut out 8 inch diameter circles to mount them all on. Once all the PVA had dried I then glued the bases and added sharp sand to texture the bases.
The earth was given a base coat and two successively lighter dry brushes, the rocks were painted black and given two successive lighter shades to bring out the definition more.

I will be keeping the one in the back left of the picture, the others will probably be sold off to raise some funds for other things.

15 comments:

  1. Hola
    Buenas las peanas y esas ruinas
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them,,,simple but very effective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice terrain pieces. They would make a nice addition to any dark ages table. The one with the single large center stone with smaller stones surrounding it would work for the biblical era as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool stuff. They will also work for Pulp gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful work Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They turned out beautifully. Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like them.

    Cheers

    seb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like them and very nice they look too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb, what a great result from such humble beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff...I'm always in awe of anyone who makes terrain...I just never get around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, a great how to guide.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loking very good, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking about doing some nice pieces like these!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...