12 July 2013

Making 15mm Bocage - Part 2

Right lets get on with the next stage in making our bocage look a bit more than mud and rocks.
First of we need some basic equipment:
We need plenty of clump foliage. I use woodland scenics as they have a good range of colours of which I use a mix of 5. You also need a hot glue gun (better known to me as the burns unit).
Once the glue is up to temperature apply a liberal blob on top of the base.
Apply a good sized chunk of clump onto the hot glue or several smaller pieces and push into the glue (This is where you need tough fingers that don't mind the heat).
Add more hot glue to the first layer of foliage. Then add another layer of clump pushing it into the glue and checking to ensure you cant see any glue squeezing out anywhere, if you do add a piece of clump to it.
Once you have added the second layer check for height, bocage should be slightly higher than a tank, as the reality is they could travel along the lanes unseen due to the height. If you need to add more height repeat the previous steps.
Continue down the length of the piece you are working on then check its average height is above the tank. It is good to not be uniform with the height or width when you add the foliage, also allow some to cover the base as it all adds character to the end product.
This is not a quick job and adding the foliage to all this above took me 10 hours to complete yesterday. I have the burns to prove it!!

Next up will be the finishing and some eye candy hopefully.

15 comments:

  1. Great tutorial, I'm in need of a heap of hedges/bocage for my 28's and yours look brilliant so far. Just need to get my arse in gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a burn to make you feel alive and sore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice results there Andrew. Well done for putting in 10 hours too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking very good !

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. I need to use my hot glue gun more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very usable. I think I will have to copy this when I get around to my Normandy project again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great results, and I love the Elephant as well. You are a terrain making machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my job so I have to be but like all artistic types I have my non creative days too

      Delete
  9. Great and interesting tutorial. Thank you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buena esas peanas si señor
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tremendous job, they really look the business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look even better now tomorrow will be the final part

      Delete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...