21 June 2013

Getting to know Loki in 20 questions.

Recently resurrected by James over at Exiles Wargames Painter, who borrowed the idea from something Ray "Sandbag" Rousell from Don't throw a 1  and Francis "His Holiness" Lee a.k.a The Angry Lurker started a year ago, I figured it was about time I followed suit.

1. Favourite wargaming period and why?

This is a tough one for me, I have two and cant split them, American Civil war because of the research I can do one the period and the fun I get from playing it. Napoleonic Era, the sheer spectacle of the uniforms and warfare of the period means I enjoy painting and playing this.

2. Next period, money no object

All theatres of the Seven Years War in 28mm.

3. Five favourite films?
  1. The Patriot - Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger
  2. We were Soldiers 
  3. The Last Samurai
  4. Gods and Generals / Gettysburg
  5. Tora Tora Tora

4. Five favourite TV series?
  1. Sharpe
  2. NCIS
  3. Stargate
  4. Swamp People
  5. The Following

5. Favourite book and author?

I don't have one, there are three as my favourite books are a trilogy - The Dragonlance Chronicles written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

6. Greatest General - Can't count yourself !!!



7. Favourite wargames rules?

Fire and Fury

8. Favorite sport and team?

Formula 1 - Mclaren

9. If you only had one use of a time machine when and where would you go?

Gettysburg 1863 to meet R.E.Lee

10. Last meal on death row?

A huge fry up!!!

11. Fantasy relationship and why?

Siouxsie Sue and why is a bit obvious and should require no explanation at all

12. If your life were a movie who would play you?

It would have to be Michael Caine- he can at least do the accent!!

13. Favourite comic Superhero?

Has to be Bananaman from the Beano.

14. Favourite military quote?

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning - Erwin Rommel

15. Historical destination to visit?

Gettysburg or Antietam (Sharpsburg) Battlefields

16. Biggest wargaming regret?

I have two, selling my original 28mm Napoleonic collection, and my 28mm American war of Independence collection far to cheaply.

17. Favourite Fantasy job?

Intergalactic explorer

18. Favourite top 5 songs

Cant get my list down to 5 but have managed to get to 10 and here they are. My tastes are quite diverse and heavily influenced by gothic punk and rock:

  1. Bauhaus - In the Flat Field 
  2. The Cure - Charlotte sometimes
  3. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
  4. The Damned - Grimly Fiendish
  5. Wagner - Ride of Valkyries
  6. The Doors - Riders on the Storm
  7. The Cure - A Forest
  8. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Arabian Knights
  9. Buddy Holly - Not Fade Away
  10. The Clash - London Calling
19. Favourite wargaming moment?

Many years ago doing a huge 28mm version of Gettysburg over an entire weekend. I played as Lee and did not follow history in the attack, After a historical set up I decided to try something a little different and it caused the Union lines to collapse in spectacular style resulting in a Confederate victory. The look on the opposing commanders faces was priceless.

20. The miserable git question, what upsets you?

Like several other bloggers this has had to be restricted to 10 or we are never going to finish the post.
  1. Those blogs that have the bloody stupid CAPTCHA password to comment 
  2. Texting - phones are for talking and its much more pleasent to talk.
  3. Rap music!!!!!
  4. Trousers that are worn on the top of the legs so I have to see hairy arse and undercrackers ( NOT A COOL LOOK ) while walking hunched over like a monkey and swaying from side to side ( WTF )
  5. Nearly every TV advert.
  6. Anyone knocking on my front door in the evening that wants to beg, steal or sell me anything.
  7. Spammers
  8. Dice - when they keep rolling 1's
  9. Rulesmongers - Oh how I hate the mm brigade, you are 0.0005 of a mm short so cant do it, how the F**k do these jerks have a life, games are meant to be fun.
  10. Cold Tea - those that know me will understand this one...
  11. I had to add another: The constant thorn in my side that is Kevin.



17 comments:

  1. Very little to disagree with there, maybe Gods and Generals and bleeding Bananaman but that's a good list....on a different note I have a WW2 boardgame called "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", second hand, bought 10 years and found 10 days ago, counters already punched.....it might be of interest?

    "His Holiness".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran I have that particular board game, Its good but too difficult for my kids to play with me, but thank you for considering me.

      Delete
  2. great answers, always good to know more about fellow bloggers

    ReplyDelete
  3. His Holliness....my arse!!!!!!!

    Some great choices Sir!! Like Fran I gotta disagree about Gods & Generals, that film bored me shitless, far too much preaching and not enough action. Not a patch on Gettysburg. And a Buddy Holly fan too, Not Fade Away's one of my fav Holly tracks!!! Nice One!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gods and Generals is a bit preachy but, it does give you the moral implications that Stonewall suffered from. My parents gave me the love of Rock n Roll music, but Buddy was a cut above for me.

      Delete
  4. Excellent answers Andrew. I can relate to a lot of them , especially Napoleonic and ACW stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew! Wow, it is scary how many of these we line up on. I must say, your musical taste is exquisite as well.

    And lastly, I get rocked with spam if I don't have CAPTCHA on. I'll try turning it back off and seeing how bad it gets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you set your comments to registered users only, it stops 99% of the spam (I found anyway)
      Peace James

      Delete
    2. I agree with James that is the step I took and have had only 1 piece of spam since :)

      Delete
    3. This makes sense. Long ago when I first looked at that setting, I thought I'd be filtering out all of the people who don't have a Google account. The truth is that we hardly get any impromptu anonymous comments so this filter isn't as bad as I once thought. I'll do it and thanks for sharing.

      Blogging at it's best is lifting the other guy's ideas. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I like quite a few of those answers. Nice to get to know you better! I made the trip to see Gettysburg, Antietam and Harpers Ferry a couple of years ago with my dad to celebrate his retirement. Amazing to be surrounded by so much history. Well worth the trip.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rod, I hope to make it one day before I am to old!!

      Delete
  7. Good to get to know you better Andrew. The 20 questions post is a good one. I agree that there really is no need for captcha if you don't allow anonymous commenting. And captcha and blog owner approval seems to really over do it. But that's just my opinion. I don't get a whole lot of comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found myself nodding on several of your answers especially the ACW being a favourite period.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments they are appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...